Free music in 5 seconds.

66 posts

Flag Post

Just found this piece of gold.

It takes it like 5 seconds to generate a 50 – 60 seconds track in IT format. You can use VLC’s export wizard to convert it to MP3 (encapsulate as RAW).

So… you create a file, convert it and in less than a minute you have a music loop for your game. All of that in less than 1MB.
And the best part; you can edit it as you please to meet your needs.

That Ben “GreaseMonkey” Russell guy is the hero of the day.

E: Sample here.

Flag Post

What language is that? Python?

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

What language is that? Python?

Yup, it is.

Any sample tracks from it?

Flag Post

Woah I never knew you could have classes in Python.

However, machines will never make any good music.

By the way, is it possible to implement graphics in python?

Flag Post
Originally posted by ErlendHL:

It seems to be.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ErlendHL:

I thought that was possible in all languages – _ -

Flag Post

Does anyone know if we can use it for Ludum Dare?

Flag Post

You make songs with this program in 5 seconds? I highly doubt the music is any good.

Flag Post
Originally posted by byrono:

Does anyone know if we can use it for Ludum Dare?

Yes. Actually, I think I’ll use it for my game.

Flag Post

Though you can’t really say
Credits
Music: ErlendHL

Because all the credits goes to the program really. Except if you alter the song but still, most of the credit…

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

You make songs with this program in 5 seconds? I highly doubt the music is any good.

That’s plain ignorance though, did you listen to the track? In fact, if you gave the best devs a month and lots of money I bet you they could create a program to make fantastic music.

Flag Post

I didn’t listen to the song, but music isn’t meant to be made in 5 seconds. That’s just wrong. And anyway, I wouldn’t go by you, as you think sound compression barely hurts audio quality.

Flag Post

Music and sound is math, Ofc it’s possible to do it in 5 seconds with a program :)

Flag Post

Think of it this way: Would John Williams approve of this program?

Flag Post

Think of it this way: Would the user and game developer (who cannot produce ‘good’ music himself) approve of this program?

The music Senekis linked, certainly sounded fine enough to not be something I would complain about, given it was used where it fits.

Flag Post

It’s kind of like copy/pasting code. You can make a game in 5 seconds, but you didn’t really make it.

Flag Post
<edited>

Flag Post

Jeez, Senekis…

yet you always come here to talk some random nonsense. That’s what the OffTopic forum is for

You made this topic, why shouldn’t we tell you what we think about the stuff you linked? It’s not like we’re attacking you personally in any way so you don’t have to take it like that. You’re telling us nobody gives a fuck about our opinion, well you throw a topic out there, what kind of feedback do you expect? And I have to say, this is not any “bad” feedback whatsoever. You should just accept that people have different meanings.

Originally posted by Danishdragon:

Music and sound is math, Ofc it’s possible to do it in 5 seconds with a program :)

This is going to be a little bit abstract (just throwing my opinion out there but theoretically you might be right, just, it has its limits, can’t make any good musics)
I think like this: making music is like making a piece of art (visual art you know, on a canvas). You can’t just have a machine that prints out random elements that might fit into your artwork. The artist thinks about what he will make and why, and he will solve it in a creative way. The piece of art often has a meaning and you can often hear how ingeniously made a song is (or an artwork).
I’m really bad at explaining so I might not have gotten my view out correctly. Please don’t flame on me.
I’m making music sometimes, and what it takes is 0% math. I just output what I hear in my head, and continue using my expectations and so on… You can kind of say music is about fulfilling the expectations of the listener. Kind of… Though I don’t say that you can’t make music using math, just that math can’t ever compute a composition that will be much appealing to human ear. Sorry if I’m wrong but I am not.

Flag Post

I don’t mind a genuine “Tried it, but i didn’t like it because X and Y…”, but I won’t accept a “I didn’t even downloaded it, nor listened to the posted sample, yet I’ll go ahead and say that I doubt it’s any good and that it’s totally wrong and more random crap.”

Anyway. About music being an art, of course it is. But not everyone is a talented musician who can open MidiPiano and Audacity and compose a new 9th symphony.

It’s like saying that using a perlin noise is bad. Or that using any of the Photoshop/GIMP/whatever filters is bad because a machine is doing random stuff with it.

Or like saying that those who throw paint bottles to a helicopter and let the wind do the rest aren’t artists.

Or like…

You get the point. If there’s a rule for art is that you don’t have to stick to any rules. Art creation is free. You can make music with the most expensive musical instrument or with the leave of a tree (yes, I’ve seen that).
or even record random noises and make loops (industrial music, anyone?).

On another topic, sometimes you want to make art, other times you just need some music for your game.

Flag Post

You’re absolutely right, good points. Using other people’s music is also a choice tho. I’d stick to that if I wasn’t a musician but that’s me. E: just what you said you didn’t want to hear, sorry. On topic: the song generator is pretty cool and can indeed be used for something

Flag Post

I didn’t listen to the song, but music isn’t meant to be made in 5 seconds. That’s just wrong. And anyway, I wouldn’t go by you, as you think sound compression barely hurts audio quality.

It’s true :D Only extreme audiophiles can hear differences in music compressed at 160kbps+ (.mp3 files).

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

It’s true :D Only extreme audiophiles can hear differences in music compressed at 160kbps+ (.mp3 files).

I could probably hear the difference.

And like ErlendHL said, if you can’t make your own music, you can use someone else’s in your projects. I was actually going to say that before I saw his post, but I was outside catching the chickens.

Flag Post

Doesn’t sound bad at all. I’m pretty impressed.

Flag Post

If you want truly great music you need to put effort into it.

Flag Post

facepalm counter: III

Of course it hurts audio quality but if you’ve got to go between a 10 MB song and a 2.5 MB one that sounds almost exactly the same, it’s obvious to go with the 2.5. Not to mention that only a tiny bit of compression will do that.