Software developing software

39 posts

Flag Post

Hey guys, does anyone know a simple free software (preferably with drag n drop interface) that i can use to make my own software?

ps. the software i am going to make will be a sticky note type thing

Flag Post

http://stencyl.com/ is used to make flash projects and uses drag and drop

Flag Post

If you’re looking to create anything outside of a simple window software then you’re going to have to learn C, there’s really no way around that. If you want you can try VBS, but for the love of all things good do not use it…

Flag Post

If you are going to learn C you might as well learn C++; you can actually uses classes.

If you read through the things on here you will understand this reference; C is to AS2, as C++ is to AS3.

Flag Post

Visual Studio Express is free with C# and Windows Form applications are generally quick to make. Should suffice for a sticky note program.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jerimo:

If you are going to learn C you might as well learn C++; you can actually uses classes.

If you read through the things on here you will understand this reference; C is to AS2, as C++ is to AS3.

False, C is to as1, as Visual Basic it to AS2, as C++ is to as3. AS2 can use classes but it’s not great.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

False, C is to as1, as Visual Basic it to AS2, as C++ is to as3. AS2 can use classes but it’s not great.

I’d personally disagree. I think jerimo’s analogy, while somewhat out there is a lot more accurate. I’m not sure how you’d even compare Visual Basic to C.

Flag Post

Guys, seriously, shut up, you have no idea what you are talking about. Don’t go spreading falsehoods about a topic you are clueless on. People are already confused as it is on this topic. C and C++ do NOT have any sort relationship like AS2 and AS3. Not even close. You are comparing apples and space oranges.

Flag Post

If you’re looking to create anything outside of a simple window software then you’re going to have to learn C, there’s really no way around that. If you want you can try VBS, but for the love of all things good do not use it…

Yeah, learning C is the only way… no, wait a second, that was before Microsoft published MFC 20 years ago. Of course that’s only relevant if you’re interested in history, because 10 years ago .net came out.

Nowadays it doesn’t really matter which .net language you chose, use VisualBasic if you like the strange syntax, or C++ if you’re a masochist, or something more exotic like Boo or F#. I would highly recommend to follow feartehstickmans advice though and give C# a try, it’s a nice clean language, it’s not too hard to learn and by far the most popular, so you will find plenty of tutorials.
But it’s really mostly a matter of taste, they are all strongly typed, object oriented, and they use the same library.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jheiling:

Yeah, learning C is the only way… no, wait a second, that was before Microsoft published MFC 20 years ago. Of course that’s only relevant if you’re interested in history, because 10 years ago .net came out.

Nowadays it doesn’t really matter which .net language you chose, use VisualBasic if you like the strange syntax, or C++ if you’re a masochist, or something more exotic like Boo or F#. I would highly recommend to follow feartehstickmans advice though and give C# a try, it’s a nice clean language, it’s not too hard to learn and by far the most popular, so you will find plenty of tutorials.
But it’s really mostly a matter of taste, they are all strongly typed, object oriented, and they use the same library.

This whole post is of course irrelevant if the OP intends to develop for any OS other than Microsuck Winblows

Flag Post

This whole post is of course irrelevant if the OP intends to develop for any OS other than Microsuck Winblows

Wrong, because there is mono on Mac and Linux.

Flag Post

Btw, I know a lot of people hate MS, but trust me, Visual Studio and the .net framework are both awesome!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Drakim:

Guys, seriously, shut up, you have no idea what you are talking about. Don’t go spreading falsehoods about a topic you are clueless on. People are already confused as it is on this topic. C and C++ do NOT have any sort relationship like AS2 and AS3. Not even close. You are comparing apples and space oranges.

I think his point was that AS2 and C both have some semblance of OOP while AS3 and C++ fully support OOP. As I said, I don’t think it’s entirely accurate, but you can kind of compare it abstractly. Also, C++ and AS3 are both the child languages of C ans AS2.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

I think his point was that AS2 and C both have some semblance of OOP while AS3 and C++ fully support OOP. As I said, I don’t think it’s entirely accurate, but you can kind of compare it abstractly. Also, C++ and AS3 are both the child languages of C ans AS2.

No, AS2 is a badly written language, that’s why it doesn’t have “real OOP”. C was made before OOP even existed, it’s a very old and very stable language that has been tested true over the ages. At the bottom of nearly all operating systems the most important parts are written in C, because C++ introduces some measure of bloat and lack of control with it’s higher level constructs. Not to say that C++ is a bad language for other things!

I find it’s extremely misleading to compare C and C++ to AS2 and AS3. The reason AS3 was made was because AS2 was such an incredibly bad language that was so flawed there merely “fixing it” with changes was deemed impossible. You can read the history of C++ on Wikipedia, but it in no way shares the same relationship with it’s predecessor like AS3 does.

The reason this bothers me so much is because new developers, real people, are gonna come across this thread and read the warped wrong statements of RTL Shadow and jerimo and become just as ignorant and mislead. They are gonna think that C is a “bad language” and that C++ “fixed it” akin to the relation between AS2 and AS3. While in reality, C does a lot of things you really can’t do well in C++

Flag Post
Originally posted by Linus Torvalds:

In other words, the only way to do good, efficient, and system-level and portable C++ ends up to limit yourself to all the things that are basically available in C.

I’ve come to the conclusion that any programmer that would prefer the project to be in C++ over C is likely a programmer that I really would prefer to piss off, so that he doesn’t come and screw up any project I’m involved with.

In fact, in Linux we did try C++ once already, back in 1992. It sucks. Trust me – writing kernel code in C++ is a BLOODY STUPID IDEA.

If you didn’t know, this is the guy responsible for Linux, basically.

Flag Post

Btw, I know a lot of people hate MS, but trust me, Visual Studio and the .net framework are both awesome!

What meth have you been smoking?

OP, if you wanna do just Windows, use C#. It’ll be easiest to get using with the least effort. If you want to be a good desktop programmer, learn C and C++ – preferably C++ first, since if you learn C first it’ll be harder to get into OOP from what I have heard.

The linux kernal was coded in C, not C++. Also, t’was made AFTER C++ had come out. So yes, Drakim is right that

C does a lot of things you really can’t do well in C++

Maybe Linux would be better if it were in C++, but the fact remains that Linux outperforms operating systems that utilize C++ heavily.

I’ve come to the conclusion that any programmer that would prefer the project to be in C++ over C is likely a programmer that I really would prefer to piss off, so that he doesn’t come and screw up any project I’m involved with.

On the other hands, C++ also does things more efficiently than C and allows for better reusing of code.

Let’s teach people efficiency over initial ease of use.

Flag Post
… While in reality, C does a lot of things you really can’t do well in C++

C++ is a superset of C, so that’s rubbish – anything you can do in C you can do exactly the same in C++. You might have to resist some of the shiny toys though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobJanova:

C++ is a superset of C, so that’s rubbish – anything you can do in C you can do exactly the same in C++. You might have to resist some of the shiny toys though.

Let me copy paste the quote that is 2 posts above you, since you seem to have missed it in your haste to tell us about the finer details of rubbish.

Originally posted by Linus Torvalds:
In other words, the only way to do good, efficient, and system-level and portable C++ ends up to limit yourself to all the things that are basically available in C.

Flag Post

Efficient C++ is using OOP. :P

Flag Post

On the other hands, C++ also does things more efficiently than C and allows for better reusing of code.

Not true really. Anything you can do in C++ can be done just as efficiently in C. Perhaps not as easily in some cases.

Disclaimer: I’m not SUPER experienced with C++ or C. Everything I say is based on what I’ve heard from people who DO know them really well.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lSWATLLAMA:

What meth have you been smoking?

OP, if you wanna do just Windows, use C#. It’ll be easiest to get using with the least effort. If you want to be a good desktop programmer, learn C and C++ – preferably C++ first, since if you learn C first it’ll be harder to get into OOP from what I have heard.

The linux kernal was coded in C, not C++. Also, t’was made AFTER C++ had come out. So yes, Drakim is right that

C does a lot of things you really can’t do well in C++

Maybe Linux would be better if it were in C++, but the fact remains that Linux outperforms operating systems that utilize C++ heavily.

Let’s teach people efficiency over initial ease of use.

“From what you heard” is shows your ignorance about the topic. So you’re asking me what meth I was smoking because my opinion as someone who has written programs in C and C++ before you were able to write your own name differs from something you have heard. You’re ignorant, arrogant, and your opinion is worthless.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lSWATLLAMA:

Efficient C++ is using OOP. :P

You forgot to add that this is what you’ve heard.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobJanova:

You are right, it’s rubbish, but there are actually some differences, it’s not exactly a superset.

Flag Post

Hey bud, If you’re looking for something simple that’ll help you make some easy games there are RPG makers out there. I believe at one point I found (Although I never bothered using) a Flash RPG maker. You can honestly make more than just wanna-be pokemon games with them too. If you have problems being creative with it checkout “Megaminer”. It’s pretty much a clone of the ever-popular motherload game, but it is definitely doable in RPG Maker 2000, might as well the RPG Maker XP they came out with when I was like 10 haha.

Flag Post
Originally posted by stage_phrite:

Seeing as windows is the most widely used OS, I’d say that it’s most likely that he uses windows. And, based on what he said “(something) that i can use to make my own software” and “the software i am going to make will be a sticky note type thing”, I’m going to assume he’s making something for his personal use, or his friends.
So, I could be wrong, but I’d say, statistically, that it’s most likely that developing in C# will not damage the usability of his software.