New Game

18 posts

Flag Post

Hey Guys,

I uploaded my 2nd proper game 2 days ago. If you could can you go play it and give me any tips to make it better and also compare it to my first game. My art as gotten a whole lot better :)

Jelly Time

Flag Post

You have a bit of a bug with right clicking.

Its a nice game, pretty simple but I’m sure you know that. Not something that most people will play for hours, but it looks good and plays alright. Making the player follow the mouse rather than snapping to it would feel more like it was swimming, so consider that if you make another.

Flag Post

To make it better: Now that you understand the basics of the language, learn how to make your code faster.

The game ran quite slow, which is pretty bad, given that there are very few objects and there doesn’t seem to be any sort of heavy rendering that could cause it.

So yeah. Take a look at your code and ask yourself if what you’re doing is really necessary. Be particullary careful with any loops and stuff being called from your frame handler.

E: Saybox: his help page clearly states “don’t right click, please”. heh

Flag Post

Nice work – 5/5 obviously ;)

The individual assets look nice but they don’t look like they’re underwater when the game is in play. Maybe an animated blue/green overlay would help with the illusion. A scrolling background would make it look like the fish is progressing too.

The help screen has a typo (traped) and the background of it doesn’t quite cover the whole screen.

Plenty of potential!

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

Its a nice game, pretty simple but I’m sure you know that. Not something that most people will play for hours, but it looks good and plays alright. Making the player follow the mouse rather than snapping to it would feel more like it was swimming, so consider that if you make another.

I agree. Well done!

Flag Post

Thanks guys. It is just meant to be a simple, but relaxing game was my target. Aaants I wish I could of made it look more underwater, but I had know real clue how to. I was thinking of making the background move backwards so it actually looked like you are swimming forward.

Flag Post

Pretty good. All the things you listed in your help section are the bugs which you should try to iron out (right click, dragging mouse off stage, hitboxes) but apart from that it’s not bad.

Like saybox said, it’d be better if it swam toward your mouse rather than snapping straight to it. This should also fix the problem of people dragging their mouse off stage (I think).
The hitTesting (if that’s what you’re using) would be better performed, perhaps, with a series of hitTestPoints so the hitbox for the fish is a little more lenient. Else, give a visual indication of where it’s hitbox is, because it can be a bit annoying to pass by a jellyfish and then die because your hitbox just clipped it.

And yeah, like Aaants said, a transparent blue/green overlay would make it look more like being underwater.
But your fish and it’s shadow both look great!

So overall, nice work. I’ll give it a 5/5.

Flag Post

I would of fix the bugs feartstickman, but halfway doing this I got bored of this project. Then I suddenly liked so I finished it quickly and released it. I will hopefully update sometime in a week with the API and bugs fixed, but right now I am starting on a new project which will be so AWESOME!(it will be) :)

Thanks anyway.

Flag Post

…that’s why artistic people are not so perfect at programming, they are distractable and can get accidentally bored.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:

…that’s why artistic people are not so perfect at programming, they are distractable and can get accidentally bored.

I’m not actually very artistic I just practice a lot during the period that I wasn’t making games to get better. I was doing GFX for a while for youtube backgrounds which increased my skill in artistic stuff. Anyway I need a tutorial about making the right click button not do anything(or if you can give me code).

Flag Post

Hi oatlol, I like your game and wanted to know if you’d be interested in making a deal with me. I’m new to these forums and really trying to build some credibility. What I do for a living, while about to start attending college, is convert flash games into android applications. I’d love to convert your game to run on the android market and you could make some quick cash from it via ads as well. The only charge I have is a percentage of the profits. No work is necessary on your end and since I’m just trying to build credibility more than anything right now I’m willing to pay on an as-earned basis instead of monthly :). email me at spolar70@gmail.com if your interested.

Flag Post
Originally posted by oatlol:Anyway I need a tutorial about making the right click button not do anything(or if you can give me code).

I think this should work, but it depends on a few things:
If you’re using CS5 or earlier, it will not work in the debug (Ctrl+Enter) window (not sure about CS6), use F12 preview instead.
If the user doesn’t have Flash Player 11.2 or newer installed, it’ll probably crash, but you can do things like tell them to update it.
Anyway, just adding this add the start of the game should prevent the context menu form appearing.
addEventListener(MouseEvent.RIGHT_MOUSE_DOWN,rightClick)
or

addEventListener("rightMouseDown",rightClick)

and this as a new function
function rightClick(event:MouseEvent){ }

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:
Originally posted by oatlol:Anyway I need a tutorial about making the right click button not do anything(or if you can give me code).

I think this should work, but it depends on a few things:
If you’re using CS5 or earlier, it will not work in the debug (Ctrl+Enter) window (not sure about CS6), use F12 preview instead.
If the user doesn’t have Flash Player 11.2 or newer installed, it’ll probably crash, but you can do things like tell them to update it.
Anyway, just adding this add the start of the game should prevent the context menu form appearing.
addEventListener(MouseEvent.RIGHT_MOUSE_DOWN,rightClick) <p>and this as a new function<br /> <code>function rightClick(event:MouseEvent){ }

Using CS5. That also another reason why the game took a while to make, because I had to swap CS3 to CS5 which put me off. Thanks though. I can’t find any threads on how to do this, but I think it will pop up if I do more researching.

Flag Post

This thread is somewhat helpful, and still active

It’s a bit weird how nothing turns up about this when searching though…
basically, either of those event listeners should disable the right click menu, if they’re used in the new version of flash player.

Flag Post
Originally posted by oatlol:

Hey Guys,

I uploaded my 2nd proper game 2 days ago. If you could can you go play it and give me any tips to make it better and also compare it to my first game. My art as gotten a whole lot better :)

Jelly Time

Not bad for your second game. Some advice:

A slowly scrolling background would make it look a bit nicer.

The game runs somewhat slowly, so you should consider re-evaluating your current code’s structure. As you gain knowledge, you should try to find better ways to approach problems and refactor your code.

Having the score leap by 7 every time a jellyfish spawns doesn’t feel right to me; consider increasing it slowly the longer the player survives. The growth rate can be exponential (slow exponential), with a linear growth rate for the jellyfish spawn rate.

From what I’ve seen, the player can get boxed in, with no way out. This is harder to fix. If you store the jellyfish in an array I guess you could compare the x and y values and make sure there are gaps large enough for the player to squeeze through. Someone else could probably give you some ideas.

I know you pointed this out, but a non-rectangular hit box for the fish would be nice. Losing from a hitbox corner collision can be frustrating. It doesn’t need to be the exact shape of the sprite, but something like an oval might work. Hell, even a circle that encompasses his head might work better, since the jellyfish are moving towards his head. His tail is skinny, so the rectangular hitbox makes him collide at the back when he isn’t touching anything. Even though you’ve told the player about the hitbox, they’ll likely not think of that when their game suddenly ends because they hit something behind themselves.

The game over screen appears too abruptly. You could fade out the screen and/or flash the two characters who collided.

I don’t know how you’d implement any of this, of course, since I don’t make flash games myself. :p

@feartehstickman Clever, adding an event listener that calls an empty function. I guess it makes sense, since if a game implements right clicking in its control scheme, it wouldn’t do to have the right click menu pop up every time they clicked it. xD

Flag Post

The problem with mouse games that implement hitbox features is that you can fall through them. Really, you should try to implement collision detection on the line formed by the fish as it moves across the screen, not the actual fish itself.

1) Get the fish.
2) At the beginning of a game, record the fish’s initial position.
3) As a frame passes, record the fish’s new position.
4) Form a line between the fish’s initial position and new position.
5) Hittest the line and record any sprites that hit the hitbox.
6) Test if the box actually hit the line. (Sometimes a box CAN hit a line’s hitbox but not the actual line itself.)
7) It’s game over if the box hit that line.
8) Repeat for all three other lines that make up the fish’s hitbox.

If you move your mouse fast enough, in theory you could go THROUGH a jellyfish. Which is plain cheating. That’s why I included this post. The resulting code may use a bit more memory, but to me that’s a small sacrifice compared to accuracy. Hope it helps :D

Flag Post

@Metabble This is my second game and my first using AS3 so I wasn’t use to AS3 until now. I’ll answer all your comments in order which you commented by.
1. I am working on that making the loops not lag the game so much(there is also a bug hit: Die straight away and hit restart and game will run faster)
2. I am not changing the scoring system, sorry.
3. That’s the whole point, beware of getting eaten by the jelly fish. I don’t want to make it easy ;)
4. I have fixed that
5. I am working on that

Flag Post

1) You use the word “loops”, plural. I’m not sure if that is intentional or if you have more than one loop. In almost all cases, having only one loop is a lot faster than having many.
eg. You have three loops (updatePlayer, updateEnemies and updateScore). This is not good and leads to lag.
It is better to have one loop (update) which then calls updatePlayer(), updateEnemies() and updateScore().
Or, even better but more messy is to just have all the loop code in the loop.

If you’d feel comfortable about posting some or all of your loop code, I’m sure I could help you to speed it up.

4) IMO, it is better to have the game with a smaller hitbox than you’d think, than a bigger one. Having a hitbox which is larger can cause the player to feel cheated when they die. If you want to increase difficulty, consider making the jellyfish spawn more frequently or make them move faster.
Think of something like a bullet hell game. The hitbox is only 1 pixel but it can still be really difficult because of the speed and sheer amount of things flying at you.