Have I always been making a loading screen right?

13 posts

Flag Post

I have always programmed the loading screen on the first frame on my flash file. But when I testing it out and simulated download, it always starts of as a white screen. By the time the loading screen pops up, it already shows a percentage of data being loaded. I think this percent shows that the loading screen itself has been loaded into the game itself.

So, is the loading screen supposed to be in the same flash file with the game as ong as it’s in the very first frame? Or should it be in a different scene or another flash file instead?

Flag Post

This is normal, as your loading screen in this scenario is a part of your SWF, which is being loaded, and its part that contains the loading screen was already loaded, hence the starting percentage. If you use two SWFs approach, your loading screen will be in one SWF, and the other will then be loaded from scratch, so the loader will display 0 at first.

Flag Post

If you want to give it another try without the 2 SWFs approach, look at the ‘Export class in frame’ option in the ActionScript settings. If you export your classes in a later frame (even just frame 2), there’s less to load before your loader starts working. There will always be a short spell of white using this method because the content of the loading frame and any overheads have to be loaded first.

Flag Post

Of course the loading screen won’t show until it’s loaded itself, and of course the progress bar will have a non-zero percentage when it shows.

Did you think it was magic, or something? o.O

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

Why of course its magic! You should know Draco, you are a magician of course!

Also, Kindle, taking Aaants approach is not enough. You must also make sure your preloader isn’t extremely fancy. If you use a super HD bitmap, or a bunch of animations, some music, maybe sound FX, and a bunch of other useless stuff, it might end up finally showing the loading screen at 30% or something mad.
But if its white until 3 or 5%, thats fine really. You could cut it down to showing up at 1% if you tried hard enough, but its fine.
I’m sure anyone who still uses dial up is used to dealing with white screens of loading by now.

Flag Post
Originally posted by alecz127:

Why of course its magic! You should know Draco, you are a magician of course!

That I am.

But if its white until 3 or 5%, thats fine really. You could cut it down to showing up at 1% if you tried hard enough, but its fine.
I’m sure anyone who still uses dial up is used to dealing with white screens of loading by now.

I remember back in the old dial-up days (pre-cable!) when I found a flash animation that was massive. I was almost convinced that it wasn’t loading properly (because the guy used notches, rather than a contiguous bar) until I decided to leave it alone for an hour (that got me something like 30%).

Flag Post

Find out how big your loader swf is- subtract that from e.totalBytes. Won’t fix the delay but it will fix the percentage problem.

Flag Post

Flag Post
Originally posted by DannyDaNinja:

Wut is this, I don’t even?

Flag Post
Originally posted by draganviper:

He’s stealing borrowing my thunder.
(Gimme that wand back!)

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

Find out how big your loader swf is- subtract that from e.totalBytes. Won’t fix the delay but it will fix the percentage problem.

Even an estimate will do. There is nothing wrong with showing 100% for a second or two.

Flag Post
Originally posted by draganviper:

He’s stealing borrowing my thunder.
(Gimme that wand back!)

Flag Post