Flash Being Deprecated?!?! Wasup with this rumor? page 2

75 posts

Flag Post

Wow… look what I started… LOL…. thanks guys for all your input. I’m going to stick with AS3 and flash for now because I absolutely loathe the ad hoc nature of ‘html5’. Game programming using the DOM is just (imho) retarded, like pounding in nails with a screw driver. I don’t find the canvas any more fun.

I’m feeling pretty safe with my decision after this dicussion and a little research. Seems the general consensus is that Flash AS3 web gaming is not going anywhere soon, that there are still years of life left to AS3. Hopefully by then we’ll have good tools and a decent language to hit the canvas with. Until then I figure busting my balls for a few years to master flash ( and unity ) can’t fail to pay off in the end.

My apologies to javascript lovers. It’s just a matter of personal taste with me – probably because AS3/Java were my first languages. The AS3,Java,C# style seems to conform to the way my mind works ( or vice versa ).

Flag Post
Originally posted by irongleet:

Wow… look what I started… LOL…. thanks guys for all your input. I’m going to stick with AS3 and flash for now because I absolutely loathe the ad hoc nature of ‘html5’. Game programming using the DOM is just (imho) retarded, like pounding in nails with a screw driver. I don’t find the canvas any more fun.

I’m feeling pretty safe with my decision after this dicussion and a little research. Seems the general consensus is that Flash AS3 web gaming is not going anywhere soon, that there are still years of life left to AS3. Hopefully by then we’ll have good tools and a decent language to hit the canvas with. Until then I figure busting my balls for a few years to master flash ( and unity ) can’t fail to pay off in the end.

My apologies to javascript lovers. It’s just a matter of personal taste with me – probably because AS3/Java were my first languages. The AS3,Java,C# style seems to conform to the way my mind works ( or vice versa ).

Just remember, when you eventually switch, you can always use Haxe, which will maintain the AS3/Java-like style, while letting you program things in HTML 5. So I guess the good thing is that we won’t totally have to relearn things.

Flag Post

@TheAwsomeOpossum

AS3 will be able to compile to HTML5 as well.

Flag Post
Originally posted by sHTiF:

@TheAwsomeOpossum

I hate to be rude, but source? I know adobe has a program with something like that, but I thought it was for AS2 or it wasn’t fully compatible.

Flag Post

@TheAwsomeOpossum

Maybe. I know Google used to have a project (though I don’t have a link to it) which would convert AS2 to HTML. But I remember it didn’t work for AS3.

In any case, Adobe’s latest HTML feature only works for animation, not games. It can output HTML versions of your movie projects, but not the HTML versions of your games that use coding, as far as I am aware.

Nonetheless, someone could develop this in the future.

Flag Post

I’m not keeping my hopes up. I genuinely don’t think Adobe will be capable of delivering such a product, that ends up being usable for anything nontrivial.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

@TheAwsomeOpossum

I hate to be rude, but source? I know adobe has a program with something like that, but I thought it was for AS2 or it wasn’t fully compatible.

It was very limited AS1/AS2 support. gotoAndStop, gotoAndPlay type functionality. It had none of the functions required for interactivity, and was developed as a means of turning flash advertisements into HTML5.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobJanova:

I expect Flash will get deprecated in the next few years. However, I don’t expect that to make a lot of difference, and Flash game creation skills will still be valuable in whatever replaces it (and I agree that HTML5 is not currently good enough to get people to migrate).

Bullsheeeet. Stage3D is booming.

Flag Post

Would Adobe make a comeback on Flash if it does die? because I don’t really think it will die. It will probably be the point where every new programmer will start and than progress from there to another language.

Flag Post

This pretty much says it all

Flag Post

oatlol why would someone move to other language? I worked as a C++ programmer for years in AAA 3D games field and I left because I felt burned out, now as a freelancer I prefer Flash way more than C++. Flash offers so much more as a platform its not even funny, so why would anyone move from it? It can be ported to anything, its simple, its advancing far quicker than anything comparable. I mean there is no downside to Flash at the moment.

Flag Post

\ Flash offers so much more as a platform its not even funny, so why would anyone move from it? It can be ported to anything, its simple, its advancing far quicker than anything comparable. I mean there is no downside to Flash at the moment.

wat.

Flag Post

Being in a HTML5 + JavaScript course at school this semester (in terms of creating games), I am going to change stance and express my deep hatred for JavaScript. It is a shitty language and needs to die in a fire.

Flag Post

It really is. It’s potential as a dynamically typed language is far less than AS.

AS has some great things coming.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EndlessSporadic:

Being in a HTML5 + JavaScript course at school this semester (in terms of creating games), I am going to change stance and express my deep hatred for JavaScript. It is a shitty language and needs to die in a fire.

Ha ha ha ha ha. :D Yeah, all the JS haters (like me) really aren’t making it up. I’m still hoping something like Dart will replace JS and perform identically cross-browser.

Flag Post

All I feel is that JS is making “programmers” stupid. It’s so lenient that programmers are making stupid mistakes way too often.

Flag Post

Absolutely. It’s also harder to debug because of its dynamic nature.

Flag Post

Because it is true. HTML is much more compatible and highly supported by everything (though HTML5 specifically is still being worked on). Aside from the “it is already widespread” argument, there is no real reason to keep using Flash when HTML5 would do the trick. With all of this being said, at this very moment Flash is still better than HTML5 because some major browsers don’t fully support HTML5 and while the canvas element is a nice introduction it still lacks the functionality to create anything advanced.

except flash is more powerful? the unreal engine was ported to flash, and it performs better than the PS3 does. an interpreted language hosted in a browser outperforms a device dedicated to displaying 3D games. HTML5 can’t do that at all, and the webgl thing has been in the works since around 1995. 3D in flash started in 2011. flash has already surpassed it.

(we all know how unstable Flash Player is).

really? i don’t actually have a problem with flash player stability without ads. just because there are tools to make shitty ads more easily in flash doesn’t make it worse. just wait for those same tools to produce HTML5 reliably and cleanly, suddenly your beloved HTML5 will be the bane of memory leaks and hogging CPU time; what’s better, it’ll not require a plugin, so you can’t stop it even on mobile! screaming flash is dead is going to kill HTML5’s supposed performance advantages, i love it.

That’s because they use code to draw everything. Once again you have the standard argument. You can let flash do it for you, or you can program everything yourself for better customization and higher flexibility as well as the ability to host it as a standalone webpage.

flash isn’t customizable? you can’t write code to draw every line? you can’t export it as an AIR app that’s completely standalone and works on everything from iphone to .. well, everything else?

Originally posted by KuroTsuto:

But if you have no experience with ActionScript, I would argue that it may well be prudent to skip development for the proprietary Flash player all together – although, as I’ve mentioned, I have little doubt that you will one day be able to publish creations from Flash straight to HTML5/JS (i.e. ActionScript will not become obsolete).

first: the sources to the core of flash player, the AVM2
second: developing applications for proprietary platforms is a bad thing? we better stop developing things for apple anything, and stop developing for windows and everyone should only ever do anything on linux. everything apple/microsoft is proprietary, after all.

congratulations, you just learned that widely supported JS is at the same place AS1 was in the 90s. or, you know, antiquated 20 year old technology that steve jobs was insane enough to think was … new? or something.

Originally posted by BigJM:

Absolutely. It’s also harder to debug because of its dynamic nature.

no, it’s hard to debug because of it’s complete lack of proper debugging tools

Flag Post

Okay… if you want to get in a semantic argument about it: it’s harder to debug because of a lack of debugging tools because of its dynamic nature. Also, JS in modern browsers is JIT compiled, not interpreted.

Flag Post

Originally posted by BigJM:

Okay… if you want to get in a semantic argument about it: it’s harder to debug because of a lack of debugging tools because of its dynamic nature. Also, JS in modern browsers is JIT compiled, not interpreted.

obviously you only skimmed my post. also, AS3 is dynamic. holy shit, and you can debug it!

Flag Post

AS3 is also statically and strongly typed whereas JS is not.

Flag Post

Claiming that Flash is faster than a PS3 is pretty dumb, to be honest. Flash isn’t a piece of hardware, how fast it is depends on what its running on. Trying to claim that as a measure of “power” is even sillier.

In terms of stability, I honestly don’t know how anyone can claim that Flash is more stable than a modern browser. Flash is a gaping security hole that browser developers have been trying to bandaid over for years. It’s trivial to exploit Flash. Exploiting a browser without using flash is much harder.

Flag Post

Hey, I’m new to the world of programming and am currently studying ICT at school… I was wondering…. what language should I try and learn first? I want to make games so C# and AS3 seem pretty good but this thread makes me wonder if its worth it…. Thoughts?

Flag Post

If you want to make games for the web: Flash.

Flag Post
Originally posted by basicbasic:

Hey, I’m new to the world of programming and am currently studying ICT at school… I was wondering…. what language should I try and learn first? I want to make games so C# and AS3 seem pretty good but this thread makes me wonder if its worth it…. Thoughts?

Thread title makes you wonder, every single post in this thread is saying that the thread title is wrong.