SecureSwf

31 posts

Flag Post

Is it worth getting?

Flag Post

Under two conditions I’d get it:

1. Your game is extremely innovative. I mean, like BRAND NEW never before seen 10 million players innovative.

2. Your game is multiplayer and you want to avoid it getting hacked.

Flag Post

No. There isn’t a single encryption method which can’t be bypassed (for SWFs).

About multiplayer being hacked, someone decompiling your SWF shouldn’t be a problem if you have all the logic serverside, as it should be.

Also, trying to prevent cheating/decompiling in clientside applications is a fruitless effort.

Flag Post

You may not be able to stop the determined hacker, but a casual hacker can be deterred if you make things difficult enough.

Flag Post

I thought of something that might help stop hackers. :D

Hide a little code somewhere hard to find (like in a nested movieclip) that won’t let the game play on a site that has “hack” in the URL. Of course, it won’t stop the hackers, but it would probably stop them from posting the hacked game on their site.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

Hide a little code somewhere hard to find (like in a nested movieclip) that won’t let the game play on a site that has “hack” in the URL

How on earth does that work?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dealmaster13:

Hide a little code somewhere hard to find (like in a nested movieclip) that won’t let the game play on a site that has “hack” in the URL

How on earth does that work?

What do you mean? A lot of hacker sites have “hack” in the site name.

Flag Post

Why do you care about your singleplayer game being hacked?

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

Because hackers are obnoxious.

Flag Post

But if a player has fun hacking your game, and that affects no one else, isn’t that good for you because he likes your game more?

Flag Post

Another good point: will buying a license of secureswf save you more money than the license costs?

This does not apply to UG who got it for $50 in a bundle package way back when but has never used it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

But if a player has fun hacking your game, and that affects no one else, isn’t that good for you because he likes your game more?

No, because what he’s doing is illegal I believe.

Flag Post

Modifying memory values for personal enjoyment isn’t illegal.
Also, that’s not hacking.

@Draco: yes, but once a determined cheater finds the memory addresses and makes them public, the lazy ones will simply go and copy/paste that.

It’s useless. Just focus on your game and let people do whatever they please with it; it doesn’t affect you.

Also, checking the URL is just as pointless as any other method, since the cheater can simply ignore that part.

Flag Post

uhhh, hacking your game is not illegal in any way.

Flag Post

I honestly don’t understand why you hated that hacked version of your game so much, Gamebuilder… I, personally, would be flattered.

Flag Post

Even if you were running a multiplayer online game, hacking it could only be considered breach of terms of service or something unless you had some kind of real world cash → in game currency thing going on.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

@Draco: yes, but once a determined cheater finds the memory addresses and makes them public, the lazy ones will simply go and copy/paste that.

Memory addresses change between computers, browsers, and even every time you play the game.
Trust me, I should know. I did a lot of cheat engine stuff at one point.

Flag Post

Personally I’m a tiny irrated at those big hacked game sites but only because they’re profiteering from other people’s work.

But I’m perfectly happy with hackers that aren’t doing it for money and just want to hack because they believe they can make a funner experience for themselves and their friends.

Basically as long as the game hackers don’t intend to cause harm and inconvenience to original developers then I do not think they have done anything immoral.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:
Originally posted by Senekis93:

Memory addresses change between computers, browsers, and even every time you play the game.
Trust me, I should know. I did a lot of cheat engine stuff at one point.

Reminds me of my days using a runtime memory editor to mess around in Stick Arena. The memory locations changed every time the page refreshed, but the variable behavior was the same so once you got a feel for it you could use the “weapon index was 7, now is 3” sort of scan to quickly narrow it down.

Guns in the melee only arenas, good times :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by draganviper:

Reminds me of my days using a runtime memory editor to mess around in Stick Arena. The memory locations changed every time the page refreshed, but the variable behavior was the same so once you got a feel for it you could use the “weapon index was 7, now is 3” sort of scan to quickly narrow it down.

True.

(Also, I never cheated to get badges or do any kind of hacking in multiplayer games)

Flag Post

Is it worth getting?

If you’re starting to make serious money and the chinese portals are hacking your site locks and denting your income, it’s time to buy the encryption software.

Not before.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DannyDaNinja:

Personally I’m a tiny irrated at those big hacked game sites but only because they’re profiteering from other people’s work.

But I’m perfectly happy with hackers that aren’t doing it for money and just want to hack because they believe they can make a funner experience for themselves and their friends.

Basically as long as the game hackers don’t intend to cause harm and inconvenience to original developers then I do not think they have done anything immoral.

Makes sense to me. Hacking things (in almost all forms) is quite educational and normally pretty rewarding. I remember when I was young, I discovered that I could go into a games files in the program files folder, and swap out some of the images in a game for my own custom ones, and proceed to amaze my friends. Was this hacking the game? I guess. But it was definitely a good thing all around.

Flag Post

Bob, I’m pretty sure that’s illegal, because (as far as I know) every PC game has a section in the license agreement that says you can’t decompile or mess around with the game.

Flag Post

Bob, I’m pretty sure that’s illegal, because (as far as I know) every PC game has a section in the license agreement that says you can’t decompile or mess around with the game.

Oh come on that’s not illegal at all. You are such an alarmist. He’s just saying that he changed some of the images around, there’s nothing wrong with that. The game was probably purposefully left in such a way as for people to be able to do that anyway, it would be trivial to build the program in such a way as for the images to be far more difficult to manipulate and replace if the creators cared about that, which they shouldn’t.

On top of that you need to learn what the word ’’illegal’’ actually means. If there was something in the license that says the user cannot do ‘x’, as long as ‘x’ isn’t something that’s already written down as a crime somewhere that’s relevant the most that could happen is that the company could refuse to support you when you call them with a problem that occurred after messing with the files.

Flag Post

GameBuilder- If you were asking for our opinion you need to listen. Don’t come here ask us, and be all: “No, I’m pretty sure I’m right”
It seems like you ask us and then argue about who is right.