Publishing a game made on my schools computer?

16 posts

Flag Post

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the legal issues involved in publishing a flash game on Kongregate which was made using my university’s computer and flash installation. Do I own the license to the game I made? If not, am I still able to put it online and make ad venue off of it? Would it be a better idea to play $30 for a month to month flash subscription?

Any resources or information would be appreciated.
Thanks!

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Frostbits:

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the legal issues involved in publishing a flash game on Kongregate which was made using my university’s computer and flash installation. Do I own the license to the game I made? If not, am I still able to put it online and make ad venue off of it? Would it be a better idea to play $30 for a month to month flash subscription?

Any resources or information would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Guessing that your computers at school has the educational version- Adobe usually doesn’t want people publishing for commercial purposes with the edu version. But TBH I have not heard of them ever enforcing this.

Go for it, I say.

 
Flag Post

Welcome to the forum =)

resource: your university, Adobe support.

Nobody here can give you reliable information, even if we knew what license your university has.

 
Flag Post

The fact that you made it automatically determines that you have the rights to it.

 
Flag Post

I can tell you that if you buy a student license, you are legally allowed to use this for commericial reasons (Source: Asked adobe before.) However, I’m not sure for mass educational licenses. Try here to find out.

Originally posted by lSWATLLAMA:

The fact that you made it automatically determines that you have the rights to it.

Nope – your rights to sell it depends on the license of the software. This is true with other things to, like some CC images.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

I can tell you that if you buy a student license, you are legally allowed to use this for commericial reasons (Source: Asked adobe before.)

Caution with “student” versions.
In older versions of Flash there were “student” and “educational” versions: only the later was allowed to be used commercially.

 
Flag Post

Oh dam. I have been using my school laptop to make flash games, because it has flash on it(don’t have it on any other com). Would I get sued or whatever if I actually made a lot of money?

 
Flag Post

Don’t you think you should ask your school?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by oatlol:

Oh dam. I have been using my school laptop to make flash games, because it has flash on it(don’t have it on any other com). Would I get sued or whatever if I actually made a lot of money?

Were you forced to buy the laptop as part of a tuition requirement?

 
Flag Post

Just upload it and don’t tell anyone??
Or am I missing some crucial part here :/

 
Flag Post

Morality…

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by BigJM:

Morality…

Morality,huh never heard of it,must be the new ‘hip word’ kids are all talking about.

 
Flag Post

There could be another reason you’ve never heard of it.

 
Flag Post

I’m really proud of the OP. Most people would just publish the game.

OP, just ask your teacher if you can publish it.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

I’m really proud of the OP. Most people would just publish the game.

OP, just ask your teacher if you can publish it.

He’s in college, he can’t just ask ‘his teacher’. He probably would need to contact one of the Deans or Department Heads.

 
Flag Post

I say go for it, just add a caveat “made with software licensed to ____”.

I have flash of my own, bought with a student discount, so I didn’t have any moral qualms about uploading several .swfs I originally made in a flash class. Also, it depends: was the work yours alone, or as a result of collaboration? If you worked with others, contact them before you post your games.