Interest for GiTD #27? Possible Dates inside page 3

63 posts

Flag Post

Precisely.

Flag Post

I guess an additional question is would everyone be fine with ‘open source’/‘freely licensed’ graphics being allowed in the competition?

The reason it hasn’t been done before is that it adds an extra layer of complexity (do we (partially) judge based of pure art now? type questions) and it could hurt developers that are stronger on the art side if they compete with some of that stuff. (They have to spend time making and perfecting it, while everyone using the open art would not be using this time)

Regarding dates, it looks like the first date is pretty popular along with the later dates. I think its going to be one of the two later dates, but that isn’t set in stone. I want to see if a few more date related comments roll in before making a choice.

Flag Post

Curious Gaming got all of his art for the farm game from the previously linked site, and that’s irrelevant. He would’ve got my two points even if he had used placeholders.

On the other hand, I remember lobstershow winning (or at least getting tons of votes) with his unfinished 30 second games just because “nice art”. And while good graphics are always appreciated and I love lobstershow’s drawngs, this is the programming forum and I feel that the less important aspect of a programming contest are the graphics.

Hell, that’s the whole point of the GiTD template and those python scripts to generate music; the point is that the programmer can focus in making the game, instead of wasting time designing a GUI, drawing stuff and making music.

If we’re ok with open source libraries and free audio, why would there be a problem with using free graphics?

Flag Post

Yeh I guess that’s true. There never was a rule against it and I don’t think there should ever be one. The point of the competition is to make a game that you are proud of in that time.

Flag Post

October 25th it is. I’ll mass spam everyone when it gets closer with a reminder.

Flag Post

Who’s everyone? Everyone on Kong or only those who posted on this thread?

(Ooh, looky… I posted on this thread.)

Flag Post

I’d like a reminder if it for people who posted :)

Flag Post

Everyone in the world! There will be public service announcements, giant blimps, parades, TV specials in your favorite shows’ slots, presidential (or dear leader’s, depending on your location) speeches, and a major motion picture.

GiTD #27. 10/25/2012. Are YOU ready?

Flag Post

Me: “What? Today? Where is the thread! This is terrible timing it’s Tuesday!… Oh, October.”

Flag Post

Then after that we can have GiTD #28 on 10/1/2012.

The theme is time travel.

Flag Post

Oct. 25 should work for me, too, but does that mean it ends and judging begins at that time? Or does it mean we start working on our games at that time?

Flag Post

These are (for the third time, lol!) all starting dates.

Flag Post

COUNT ME IN!
:D