flash as2 database

6 posts

Flag Post

How do you make flash games that saves data like scores on something without using localhost that when you transfer the swf file to other computers, it still works?

Flag Post

You need to use PHP + MYSQL and a web host or some equivalent system.

Flag Post

Basically, you can’t. Flash stores it’s local data in cookies, meaning that when you move the swf file to another computer it won’t have those cookies anymore (they are separate from the swf file).

As draganviper said, the only way is to have some other place to store your data, such as a server, and a popular choice is to use a webserver with PHP and MySQL. It’s a lot to set up and you need a server though, so I would recommend you either find some other project or find a different platform than flash that is more suitable for your task.

Flag Post

If you wanted to make flash save to a usb, I think it might be possible…
but otherwise, you’d need a server and lots of other fancy stuff to save it online.

Flag Post

Any basic webhost nowadays comes with databases and PHP permissions. It’s like 60$ a year or something on average (unless I’m getting ripped off). The only thing is if you get a ridiculous amount of traffic to your game or if you write your server side PHP code inefficiently your webhost might want to have a chat with you about paying more.

Flag Post

thanks.. but what i mean is how can those flash games that you can download from y8 and other places be playable on computers without apache services if you’re saying we need to use php + mysql … when we only save the swf file…