I need help!

15 posts

Flag Post

What program would be best for a beginner making a tower defense game with little to no skill of making a game? I want to start trying to mess around with creating a tower defense game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ferocity09:

What program would be best for a beginner making a tower defense game with little to no skill of making a game? I want to start trying to mess around with creating a tower defense game.

If you are any bit serious about game developing I suggest you use AS3 and FlashDevelop.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

If you are any bit serious about game developing I suggest you use AS3 and FlashDevelop.

Eh, he said little to no skill so a pure programming IDE probably is a bit much.

OP, a tower defense game is a bit ambitious for a first project, but your best bet is Stencyl.

Here’s a convenient tutorial for making a tower defense using Stencyl: http://blog.publysher.nl/2012/04/tutorial-creating-tower-defense-game-in.html

Good luck.

Flag Post

This is the first program I ever used to make a game.
http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio

No programming required.

But if you want to make a legit, super awesome TD to put somewhere on the internet like Kongregate, and make money off of it as well, you must pick up a book on Actionscript 3.0
Its a daunting task, but if you force your brain to absorb it, it will. Just take your time, and do your best.
Also I’d recommend starting off with a game like pong for your first game. Regardless of methods.

Flag Post

I have all these great ideas, just lack the skill to do it lol. So what one can I upload the games to Kongregate?

Flag Post

Draganviper… Using Stencyl can you post that to Kongregate like if it is good?

Flag Post

You can upload .swf files to kongregate… I believe HTML5 was also recently allowed. I don’t know what that outputs.
So in order to program a game to post here, you need to learn Actionscript 2.0, or Actionscript 3.0, or HaXe.
I recommend Actionscript 3.0 or as3 for short.

You can most definitely upload stencyl games to Kongregate.

You can also get into using Unity3D and put 3D games onto kongregate. Thats a little more complex though.

Flag Post

I have to warn you OP about building a TD from scratch – I’ve started my project more than half a year ago, and all I have now is a one-level demo (working tho).

Flag Post

Not trying to sound dumb, but what does “OP” mean. I’m a big gamer and usually it means overpowered.

Flag Post

original poster; ie you

Flag Post

Not trying to sound dumb, but what does “OP” mean. I’m a big gamer and usually it means overpowered.

AP eve mid OP.

on topic: HTML5/JS game developing feels really counter intuitive for beginners as it require a lot of extraneous background knowledge about how its objects work.

I recommend getting Adobe Flash trial, making a movie clip, and start coding simple behaviors on it.

Flag Post

http://www.flashgametuts.com/tutorials/advanced/how-to-create-a-tower-defense-game-in-as3-part-1/

Flag Post

Draganviper… Using Stencyl can you post that to Kongregate like if it is good?

Yes. Also since there is basically a full tutorial of all the basics and Stencyl is pretty simple to get into, it’s really your best bet.

Flag Post

Make one using starcraft 2 map editor (or maybe even Warcraft 3). It’s way easier and you wont have to make your own art or game engine.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Amibtious:

http://www.flashgametuts.com/tutorials/advanced/how-to-create-a-tower-defense-game-in-as3-part-1/

This tutorial has a flaw, first, added to stage listeners are never removed, second, when you restart the game, enemies left counter behaves wrongly. I wonder how should I report this to the creator of that tutorial…