What is the best web design software?

16 posts

Flag Post

what is the best web design software for professional and advanced user.

Flag Post

I don’t know what you expect us to answer to a question like that. I’ll try to interpret it as “What would you recommend to designing web-pages for the advanced user?” but if that’s wrong you’ll have to spare a few more minutes of your life to type out what you mean.

In general, the more advanced web developers don’t use the sort of software you are refering to. FrontPage, Dreamweaver, etc, are mostly used by basic users. I’m sure one can find exceptions but in general the most advanced users write their html, CSS and JavaScript by hand, using something like Notepad++ and Firefox with a couple of handy extensions for measuring performance and load times, for instance YSlow

HTML, CSS and JavaScript is the sort of thing where you can get pretty good results with the designer programs like FrontPage, but every single webpage you regularly visit out there, be it google, gmail, kongregate, reddit, and so on, is written by hand. There is a “hard cap” on how far you can get when tools are doing the work for you.

Flag Post

Just use Notepad. You COULD use dreamweaver, but notepad’s free. Plus, you learn more coding stuff by hand than having a program do it for you.

(side note: for me, discovering you couldn’t have spaces in Linux was a b***h. having to go line by line through a few hundred lines of code adding underscores was a pain, but reinforced the lesson.)

I’m by no means a profesional, but that’s my two cents. I’m sure someone could explain it better than I >.>
Try htmldog for help.

Flag Post

^ Don’t use notepad, or at least use something like notepad++ that provides syntax highlighting and other useful tools. You don’t want your doctor performing surgery on you with a pocket knife, do you? Personally, I use visual web developer express because it’s still on my computer from one of my college courses. I’m sure there’s better tools, though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

You don’t want your doctor performing surgery on you with a pocket knife, do you?

Heh. Well said.

Flag Post

I use Sublime Text 2 for my web stuff. Really nice editor, with a nonrestrictive trial, but it’s not free.

It’s a REALLY nice editor.

Flag Post

I’ve only tried the Photoshop Dreamweaver combo (if we don’t count 12 year old me using MS Frontpage and creating a ton of websites on free hosts)…. Dreamweaver can be a mess sometimes though.

Flag Post

You can make pretty awesome websites with Wordpress.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

You can make pretty awesome websites with Wordpress.

Wordpress is still made out of HTML, JavaScript and CSS

Flag Post
Originally posted by Danishdragon:

if we don’t count 12 year old me using MS Frontpage

I used Frontpage when I was about 9. I made an epic site about roller coasters that will never be seen again. xD

Flag Post

I remember my days running a Disgaea themed LoTGD server I made in middle school. I thought my server was so badass because I had rigged it to display an image on every screen that corresponded to the modules, events, and locations (the traditional base distribution didn’t have such functionality, and modules that carried it were few and far between at the time).

Ah, good times.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MoonlaughMaster:

I use Sublime Text 2 for my web stuff. Really nice editor, with a nonrestrictive trial, but it’s not free.

I must agree.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:
Originally posted by MoonlaughMaster:

I must agree.

+1

I do all my haxe on linux using this IDE. It’s rally lightweight by with a lot of functionality because of its many plugins.

Flag Post

is there a good icon maker or place to get icons

Flag Post
Originally posted by blademaster911:

is there a good icon maker or place to get icons

This thread is completely unrelated. Please create a new post in a related forum

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator