Are there alternatives to Masks (for a full-screen game)

6 posts

Flag Post

Dear Kong,

I’m making a flash game that will be 700×500 when you begin to play, but will have a full-screen mode option that players can choose from an options menu. I’m currently using the line:

stage.displayState = StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN_INTERACTIVE;

It’s working for the most part, but I can see beyond the right and left borders of my game (because my monitor is a different aspect ratio than the specified browser window).

I tried putting a mask around everything to avoid seeing this overlap, but I have noticed a major blow to performance.

Are there any good alternatives to use when trying to make a bounding box around the game window? I thought of putting a black border around everything just using a sprite, but I wanted to see if there is a less messy way to do it.

Thanks,
Jon!

Flag Post

Well, if you’ll use a blitting engine for your next game, with main bitmap having the size of entire stage (and render everything there), the problem will naturally disappear.

Flag Post

You could just add two blank white objects above everything else and stick them “off screen” to cover things.

Flag Post

make sure you present the game in an HTML page and set the right params there.

Flag Post

qwerberberber: is this something that can be done for portal sites like Kongregate? I don’t remember being able to control the HTML embed from the Kongregate upload page.

Flag Post
Originally posted by HotAirRaccoon:

qwerberberber: is this something that can be done for portal sites like Kongregate? I don’t remember being able to control the HTML embed from the Kongregate upload page.

kong is able to analyze your file and generate the right html code.