Flash Develop

13 posts

Flag Post

well i got this programming software – the only free program and now i got a massive problem. There is no tutorial. any advice on how to use it?

Flag Post

Use one of the template projects (AS3 project or AS3 project with preloader). That should give you something you can compile and run. Add something to the main screen, or draw on it using graphics.lineTo etc, and put a trace statement in, so you can tell it’s working right. (Note that you only get to see trace statements in debug configurations, and it doesn’t work in the embedded tab for me.)

Once you’ve got the configuration sorted (pointed it at the right version of the player) and set up the compile targets correctly then there isn’t much to it, it’s an AS3 editor so you want to look at AS3 coding tutorials.

Flag Post

welcome to the forum.

FD is not the only free program.

You can find all the information on how to use it on the website of FD

Your post lacks a lot of information.

Learning As3 or haxe seems to be helpful as well. There are some resources on those in the sticky thread in this forum.

Flag Post

This is an excellent site for people who want to learn AS3.

Flag Post

You don’t sound like a programmer, you probably would prefer to use Stencyl instead.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Elyzius:

Is that the new version of Active tutsplus?

Flag Post

My impression is that one of the former editors of active tuts+, Michael James Williams, decided to make his own site for hosting his tutorials.

Flag Post

My impression is that one of the former editors of active tuts+, Michael James Williams, decided to make his own site for hosting his tutorials.

Oh well. It looks pretty similar in terms of the tutorials it has, which is great. I never really understood why they shut down Activetuts+ but this should make a good replacement. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Flag Post

I am a programmer but im still studing programming and haven’t done much hardcore coding- but if i can get the hang of it then il enjoy it alot….

Flag Post
Originally posted by draganviper:

You don’t sound like a programmer, you probably would prefer to use Stencyl instead.

I am but im still studing and I actually tried to find stencyl but I just couldnt.
I ask many game developers on kong but they led me to software that you buy- i cant affort anything over $3

Flag Post

What actually happened is that ActiveTuts had a primary focus on Flash development. They (the people at Envato who run all the .tutsplus sites) wanted to expand the focus of the site, so they shut down ActiveTuts and created a newer one with a broader scope called gamedevtuts.

Flag Post
Originally posted by pellies:
Originally posted by draganviper:

I am but im still studing and I actually tried to find stencyl but I just couldnt.
I ask many game developers on kong but they led me to software that you buy- i cant affort anything over $3

You couldn’t find Stencyl? You mean you couldn’t find the website and download the free drag and drop flash game creation software they give to anyone who can type their name into google?

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

What actually happened is that ActiveTuts had a primary focus on Flash development. They (the people at Envato who run all the .tutsplus sites) wanted to expand the focus of the site, so they shut down ActiveTuts and created a newer one with a broader scope called gamedevtuts.

Fair enough. I’m not complaining now that it is back. I have noticed a couple more Java tuts though, compared to almost all that used to be AS3 before.