Art for your games

11 posts

Flag Post

So I am not good at drawing or animating but I can program! Are there any sites you guys could direct me to where I can get art without collaborating?

Flag Post

There’s Open Game Art which has a lot of content in a lot of different styles that don’t mesh at all with one another. Oh and a bunch of incomplete sprite sheets that are really not useful on their own.

Keep in mind that finding exactly what you want on a freeware art site is extremely unlikely. But good luck.

Flag Post

$25 for a giant collection by one artist

Flag Post

Except it’s
1) not animated since the sheets are intended as tokens for (virtual) tabletop RPGs, not for use in videogames.
2) licensed for personal use. For a minimum $250 pledge you could get a commercial license but it “exclud[es] the right to integrate the kits with any map generators”. The way I read it, the exclusion applies to roguelikes, and any other computer game which generates its maps randomly. Maybe the guy sees it differently and would only restrict software that generate maps as their main product. You’d have to ask him.

Still $250 is pretty steep for a non-exclusive license on static pieces.

Flag Post

Flashgameart.com looks promising. It looks like you can list your project details and different artists will submit bids.

Flag Post
Originally posted by doomgrunt:

Flashgameart.com looks promising. It looks like you can list your project details and different artists will submit bids.

FGA is currently defunct as in posting and logging in are broken and the owners say they don’t know when they will get around to fixing the site.

Flag Post

That’s good to know. It did look poorly populated.

Flag Post

DeviantART looks promising. But I don’t think there are any pictures that are animated.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jasonjie88:

DeviantART looks promising. But I don’t think there are any pictures that are animated.

I would love it if there was an easy place on DA to look for artists who want to join game project collaborations, the closest is a forum where people pay for commissioned work or post their going rates.

Flag Post

Well… The EBF series apparently used a bit of stuff from DeviantART. Or they put some of their art on there. I don’t know. Either way, that’s how I heard of it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jasonjie88:

Well… The EBF series apparently used a bit of stuff from DeviantART. Or they put some of their art on there. I don’t know. Either way, that’s how I heard of it.

The way I understand it, some of the EBF art at deviantArt were made by fans. The creator of EBF, Matt Roszak, has his own deviantArt account. Apparently, he invited fans to submit their monster concepts, and the ones he liked made it to EBF 3. Matt Roszak does his own game art, though. His characters are vector art, but I think his backgrounds are bitmaps. Very interesting.