Codecademy && Code Avengers

10 posts

Flag Post

I recently found two interesting websites that have some pretty awesome tutorials on them. Completely free.

Codecademy which is really professional and offers Javascript, Python, Ruby, Web Fundamentals, JQuery, Something called Code Year as well as many many other courses. They track how much you’ve done per course as well.

Code Avengers which in my opinion seems to be aimed a little lower, with the target audience being kids (even has a rap intro to the site). It teaches one lesson of CSS/HTML, and two lessons of Javascript. The lessons are pretty lengthy as well. Perfect for anyone you know young of age with an interest in games, computers, or programming.

Fire up the code forge!

Flag Post

Udacity and Coursera are even better in my opinion. (As mentioned below, these have more advanced material no doubt. So it does depend on what you are looking for.)

Flag Post

I created CodeAvengers and yes it is targeted at the absolute beginner. I tried to teach my siblings programming using sites like CodeCademy and other great free resources but none of them worked fantastically for beginners. So I had a go at creating my own site in my spare time.

Have only had 100k visits to the site so far but the feedback has been fantastic. CodeCademy is great for people who have already done a bit of programming, but many of my users have commented that my courses are much better for the total beginners.

Udacity and Coursera are fantastic too, different style of course, and in my opinion not so engaging for the high school age kids and 1st year college students that my site is targetting.

Flag Post

These sites seem pretty cool, especially code avengers, although learning java doesn’t seem like it would be much use to me personally but great for many I’m sure. It’d be nice if there was one for actionscript 3.0

There should be more social networks or even social games centered around such topics.

Flag Post

I already knew about Codeyear, but not about any of the other sites mentioned.
The Code Avengers seems like a good introductory course, but I’d like to see more added.
I disagree that codeyear is not friendly to beginners. I’d think it’s very friendly.

Udacity does seem like a very good site, though I fear that I don’t have the math required to do any of the courses!
Coursera seems great, but I don’t want to have to sign up and then pack this onto school.

Some other great sites are cplusplus.com, cprogramming.com, and learncpp.com.

Flag Post

I read on the CodeAvengers site that they are coming out with the level 1,2 and 3 courses for javascript and HTML/CSS. I enjoyed level one course for both of these and look forward to the level 2 and 3.. as i am a beginner i found codeAvengers better for me. Now that i understand the basics i feel like im ready to take on some harder material. Will wait for the level 2 and 3 courses which will be out soon or will try codecademy again. Both great sites!!!

Flag Post

Does anyone know of any of these sort of things but for maths in general? Like codeacademy where you can track your progress, but for maths.

Flag Post

Hm, try khanacademy.org. I think that Coursera also has a lot of math programs, but those things are like, beyond calculus 3 and I’m guessing they are more applied physics math.

Flag Post

yeah I checked it out shortly after posting my message, I don’t think it has anything where you can track your progress though.

Flag Post

It does if you make an account, though I don’t think the progress tracking is very fluid.