Any catch in uploading a game?(noob question)

15 posts

Flag Post

Could anyone please list everything needed to upload a game to Kong? So that I don’t have to risk legal trouble or my game being deleted and not knowing why.
I just want to know if uploading it is worth it. I’ve already made one for a game jam, but didn’t publish it anywhere else.
Kong doesn’t need payments from me, as far as I know, but what about third parties? And what about other paperwork? All graphics are either public domain or mine, music is made using a GPL soundfont, and it’s coded in Haxe, using my own physics engine.

Flag Post

No paperwork, and if what you say about your assets is true you have nothing to worry about. Even if you were obviously committing copyright infringement by, lets say, making a Pokemon MMO or something you wouldn’t really get into any legal trouble you just would need to take it down if the copyright owners ever asked you to.

Flag Post

There are no catches, uploading a game that you own the rights to is free, and Kong doesn’t demand an exclusive licence or impose any other restrictions on your ability to do what you like with that game elsewhere.

Flag Post

The only “paperwork” would be related to payments; if you want Kong to give you your share of the ad revenue, you have to enter some personal information, and if you don’t live in America, you have to do some tax office-related paperwork or the American government will keep 30% of your earnings.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

The only “paperwork” would be related to payments; if you want Kong to give you your share of the ad revenue, you have to enter some personal information, and if you don’t live in America, you have to do some tax office-related paperwork or the American government will keep 30% of your earnings.

I was a bit annoyed about that, at first, but then I figured that they probably need it.

Flag Post

So what exactly do you have to do and how do you do it?

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:
Originally posted by Senekis93:

I was a bit annoyed about that, at first, but then I figured that they probably need it.

Oh yeah, we need it.

For the U.S. paperwork, you need to fill out a W-9 form for the IRS. I don’t know what that means.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SWATLLAMA:

Oh yeah, we need it.

For the U.S. paperwork, you need to fill out a W-9 form for the IRS. I don’t know what that means.

It’d be a form, supplied by the IRS, labeled “W-9”

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

Flag Post

Thanks for answering, I asked because in the news, I heard about a scam music portal that sued people whouploaded anything there. And because flash games only support MP3 music and that it costs %2500 to publish anything that uses it, and so thought there were some costs like this, but either it’s only for big name ones, or Kong pays this, or something.

Flag Post

MP3 is an open format, but obviously if you include music then you need to make sure you have the distribution rights to it (i.e. you created it or are using it in accordance with the license you acquired it under).

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobJanova:

MP3 is an open format, but obviously if you include music then you need to make sure you have the distribution rights to it (i.e. you created it or are using it in accordance with the license you acquired it under).

Wrong- MP3 is a copyrighted format and afaik the creators have the right to sue if you use it for commercial purposes.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

Wrong- MP3 is a copyrighted format and afaik the creators have the right to sue if you use it for commercial purposes.

Please don’t post stuff like that if you don’t fully understand it, it just scares GameBuilder. And it’s not entirely accurate anyway.

Here is a link which explains what you can and can’t do with MP3 format music in regards to Flash games. Here’s the important part of it:

If you let Flash combine everything in to a single .swf it therefore avoids separate MP3 files, making the license unnecessary for Flash games.

HTML5 games are a different story, because the MP3 files aren’t combined into the final product. Look into alternative music formats if you intend to work in HTML5.

Flag Post

^ If you happen to use an HTML5 engine such as Game Maker Studio or Construct 2, imported MP3 files get converted to .ogg files and such.

Flag Post

ogg is the way to go for small size.
Flac is interesting too, if you can make it work. A bit big though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

Please don’t post stuff like that if you don’t fully understand it

My bad, this applies to me too, I didn’t research the format’s restrictions properly either.