Flash Game Tutorials(updated)

22 posts

Flag Post

Flash Game Tutorials

Welcome, here you will find a list of popular tutorials around the net to use at your advantage. If you haven’t found the tutorial that you need then ask me, I’ll be able to help some way.

Beginner Tutorials

Kongregate’s tutorial – Lots of information for beginners, Coding Language: AS2, It’s kind of an old tutorial though.

Moly’s remake of Kongregate’s Tutorial – Difference is coding language AS3. Useful information and is text based tutorial.

Ant’s Corner Programming tutorial – Coding language: AS3, Basic, but good and it is a video based tutorial.

Wiki’sTutorial – some say don’t trust wiki, but you can this time. It is okay. Coding Language: AS3

AS3Gametuts Beginner Tutorial – Coding Language: AS3, good breaking down of code, text based.

ASgamer tutorials – Coding Language: AS3, good detail, great structure, text based.

Platform Game Tutorials

AS3Gametuts Platform Game Tutorial – Coding Language AS3, easy to follow, text based.

Flashgametuts Platform Game Tutorial – more for the people who just want to copy the code, quite advance if you want to understand the code, Coding Language: AS3

Avoider Game Tutorials

MJW’s Avoider Tutorial – One of the best tutorials out, easy, explained well, Coding Language: AS3, text based.

Flag Post

Shooter Game Tutorials

Kongregate’s Shootorial – Really good tutorial, Coding Language: AS2, text based.

Tower Defense Game Tutorials

Flashgametuts – this tutorial is quite advance and if you are a noob your better off not doing it, Coding Language:AS3, text based.

Brick Breaker Game Tutorial

FlashGametuts Brick Breaker Tutorial – Coding Language: AS3, easy to make, some useful information.

Pong Tutorial

AS3gametuts Pong Tutorial – Coding Language: AS3, good for beginners and easy to comprehend.

Racing Game Tutorials

Emanueleferonato Racing Tutorial – quick an easy tutorial, Coding Language: AS2, a lot of advance codes to understand though, but still explained well.

Tiled Based Tutorials

Tonypa’s tile tutorial – best place to start if you wanna make tiled based games.

This is still a work in progress if you have any comments about this post then you can message me or post below, Thanks

Flag Post

Adobe Flash Books

Here is a list of some books that you can buy and use to your advantage through your programming career. Have fun reading!

Some books added to this might be a bit outdated, but it is still worth learning from it.

Emanuele feronato Book – Build 10 classic games.
Essential ActionScript 3.0 – all the things you need to know about AS3
Learning ActionScript 3.0 – Beginners book for learning AS3

Five Tips for Newbs

1. Never copy and paste the code. It will end up a bad habits and you won’t fully understand the code.
2. Make sure you make a game that you think is fun otherwise it won’t be fun for others.
3. Communicate your ideas with others and ask for any advice or help.
4. Never start with an extreme game idea like ones on a console. I have watched many credits for such games as halo and cod, and I am pretty sure it was close to 1000 people that contributed to the game. Just start small.
5. Don’t worry not having perfect programming. If the game runs and it’s not slow then people won’t even be able to notice.

If you’d like to add more tips message me.

Thankyou.

Flag Post

This is actually a good idea, if you can single out the best of the best tutorials, and get rod of any tutorials that are not of top quality.

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerber:

This is actually a good idea, if you can single out the best of the best tutorials, and get rod of any tutorials that are not of top quality.

Thanks, but hopefully I’ll be able to tell which are the better tutorials and not. Added a few tutorials as well!

Flag Post

What is wrong with the links?

Flag Post
Originally posted by oatlol:

I’m clicking them and nothing’s happening?!?

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:
Originally posted by oatlol:

I’m clicking them and nothing’s happening?!?

I got everything right, but the words aren’t turning into links I have no clue?!?!?!

Flag Post

Drop Textile’s formatting, use plain HTML. Like

<a href="link goes here"> Link Name goes here</a>

Goodness, Textile ignores anything if I want to place an actual link within that tag, and turns it into a link :(

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:

Drop Textile’s formatting, use plain HTML. Like

&lt;a href="<a href="http://www.kongregate.com/games/Kongregate/shootorial-0&amp;quot;&amp;gt;Link" rel="nofollow">http://www.kongregate.com/games/Kongregate/shootorial-0&amp;quot;&amp;amp;gt;Link&lt;/a&gt; Name goes here&lt;/a&gt;

I think they made a limit cap for how many links you can have in a post, but it works how I did it.

Flag Post

Good. I have spent a couple of minutes to actually place a correct “naked” HTML code in there, no matter how I tried, the link got converted. I guess it’s not just with the links, I’ve seen big posts mess up into a single wall of text with Textile breaking up for an unknown reason.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:

Good. I have spent a couple of minutes to actually place a correct “naked” HTML code in there, no matter how I tried, the link got converted. I guess it’s not just with the links, I’ve seen big posts mess up into a single wall of text with Textile breaking up for an unknown reason.

Weird, maybe it is a bug. Lucky I reserved some post :)

Flag Post

Need more tutorials! any suggestions?

Flag Post

sorry, but I skimmed through and about 70% are tutorials that are not good enough to be on this list; I’ll find a few good ones and post them here later.

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerberism:

sorry, but I skimmed through and about 70% are tutorials that are not good enough to be on this list; I’ll find a few good ones and post them here later.

Thanks I just haven’t had the time to search the web, because I have a week of exams soon “_”

Flag Post

Help me contribute to ten tips for newbs!

Flag Post

Tip 1, some of us are just flash wizards, there’s nothing you can do about it
Tip 2, when you copy pasta the code make sure to scroll ALL the way down to make sure you haven’t accidentally left anything out
Tip 3, if you ever need creative game ideas smoke some weed or do something else to spark your creativity (artists in real life do this all the time)
Tip 4, go to GDR unless you’re banned otherwise it probably won’t work
Tip 6, if you just can’t learn to program make sure you go to every game programming forum in the internet and say you are an ‘idea guy’
Tip 7, if you are a decent programmer but a really bad artist perhaps you should go to https://www.fgl.com/ that’s where the pros and mercs hang

Flag Post
Originally posted by DannyDaNinja:

Tip 2, when you copy pasta the code make sure to scroll ALL the way down to make sure you haven’t accidentally left anything out
Tip 3, if you ever need creative game ideas smoke some weed or do something else to spark your creativity (artists in real life do this all the time)
Tip 6, if you just can’t learn to program make sure you go to every game programming forum in the internet and say you are an ‘idea guy’
Tip 7, if you are a decent programmer but a really bad artist perhaps you should go to https://www.fgl.com/ that’s where the pros and mercs hang

lol I would so put this, but it screw newbs over hahahahaha :P

Flag Post

Tip 2 – select textarea, press Ctrl+A, selects everything without any scrolling
Tip 3 is actually counterproductive – you will have to alpha test your hallucinations first.
Tip 5 – watch your numerals, and array indices too :)

Nice though.

Flag Post

Programming intoxicated is the best and worst idea lol.

Flag Post

asgamer tutorials
simple actionscript 3.0 calculator tutorial

my first tutorials. ^

blitting 8bit rocket
gotoAndLearn’s blitting tutorial videos

amazing tutorials on blitting ^

Flag Post

Hi, I’m looking to start making games that my kids to play.
What I’ve decided to do is try and create a cake baking game, something they can play and then we can bake after.
Any tips/tutorials? Or am I in over my head?