From a programmer standpoint what is this engine missing?

32 posts

Flag Post

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17828135/index.html

It feels incomplete, I am reluctant to make levels until I have finished developing all the features I need. :)

Flag Post

Is the lighting system right?

Maybe 2D depth of sound? Or the ability for light sources to have variable light amounts? (e.g. flickering)

Flag Post

It froze on me several times. The player didn’t crash, but no input works.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BigJM:

It froze on me several times. The player didn’t crash, but no input works.

browser and flash player version pls?

Is the lighting system right?

Yesy it is working as intended. surfaces block sight.

Maybe 2D depth of sound? Or the ability for light sources to have variable light amounts? (e.g. flickering)

second one is a good idea, not sure if i get the first

Flag Post

Shouldn’t that (specifically, the 3 visible walls) be solid black then?

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Shouldn’t that (specifically, the 3 visible walls) be solid black then?

only back face surfaces are shadowed; this way the player is able to see wall textures :)
i’ll add the particle effects next.

Flag Post

Why is the left room visible?

I’m using Chrome 22.0.1229.94 with FP 11.4.31.110.

Flag Post

Why is the left room visible?

I’m using Chrome 22.0.1229.94 with FP 11.4.31.110.

There is a light in the adjacent room. The game shows areas which are illuminated.

Flag Post

Also the shadows are off here:

Edit: I see the other light below, but shouldn’t the second and first row of blocks make the shadow darker? Also, it seems weird to me that you can see through walls.

Flag Post

Also the shadows are off here:

Because of the presence of multiply light sources the half-shadowed areas are known as the penumbra and anumbra.

Flag Post

Uh, your keyboard isn’t always perfectly responsive. Not sure why this is, but yeah.

Flag Post

I’m not experiencing keyboard problems. Is it because the zombie is pushing you so you can’t move past it?

Flag Post

There are glitches with the lighting system. In the first picture UG posted, the one for which you said only the back surfaces of blocks are shadowed, the top block (the metal one) doesn’t have its back surface shadowing, which leads to the display bug of the next three blocks behind it being lit up.

It looks unnatural, weird and awkward which, unless that’s the effect you’re going for, makes it a display bug. One you might want to fix, since you’re asking what’s missing from this engine. Proper handling of shadows is what’s missing. Hint, hint.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

There are glitches with the lighting system. In the first picture UG posted, the one for which you said only the back surfaces of blocks are shadowed, the top block (the metal one) doesn’t have its back surface shadowing, which leads to the display bug of the next three blocks behind it being lit up.

It looks unnatural, weird and awkward which, unless that’s the effect you’re going for, makes it a display bug. One you might want to fix, since you’re asking what’s missing from this engine. Proper handling of shadows is what’s missing. Hint, hint.

Hi ace; Is this what you mean?

I have tested this version, and I didn’t like it because it seems there are no blocks past the stone block on the left; there also is a jump of the shadows as soon as the player steps into the lee of the stone on the right. I didn’t like this, so I defined my rules like this:

1) Tiles are seen to be one connected shape;
2) Back faces of the shape are casted shadows;
3) Only places that light can physically reach are illuminated.

From these rules, the lights and shadows are technically correct; because the illuminated place pointed out, light is able to to reach.

If it looks wrong to the user, it’s still a bug though. Any ideas?

Flag Post

I guess I could suggest a fog of war system.
It may be the complete opposite direction you want to go in, but I think it would be the best visually.

- Everything is black until it is seen
- once objects, like the stone or crates above are seen, they will always be seen in full
- walking away from areas and not seeing them anymore, you still see obstacles but not floor, or anything that changes. So its like a memory system.
- I would make anything visual from memory half shadowed, or something, it would look awkward at full brightness this would also seperate what you are actually seeing obstacle-wise at the moment and what you remember obstacle-wise
- you could also do this with flooring if you choose to. It may look better then pitch blackness.
- it would be easy to know what areas you’ve been to and what areas you haven’t been to in this way, and if you don’t like that, you could add a residual memory mechanic. Where areas you’ve explored a few times would be memorized more, but areas you may have been to once a week ago are barely remembered. If you really wanted to you could add character creation of maps, so the character would scrawl out where everything is, ect, and then when visiting the area everything would act as if he had completely remembered it.

Thus you may not like that you can’t see any crates beyond those ones, but once the character sees they exist, he remembers they are there.

Flag Post

Yes qwerber, the picture you posted shows how the shadows should be. I disagree that it looks like there are no blocks past the stone one. It looks like you have no idea what is beyond the stone block, which is precisely the way it should be. If I were to use your engine, the settings that led to the image you posted are the ones I would want to use.

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerberism:

I have tested this version, and I didn’t like it because it seems there are no blocks past the stone block on the left

Unfortunately, that’s how Line of Sight works in real life.

Flag Post

I think Aleczs FOW suggestion is exactly what you need.

I would also extend the half-light idea to any areas around the player that aren’t currently in his FOV though so that you can still see enemies approaching from all direction but without the naff looking light + shadows as demonstrated in BigJM’s post

Flag Post

Guys. this isn’t about FOV as this is a top down game. I do however have an idea for a fix; I’m going to decrement the stencil buffer for front face shadows; which should resolve my issue.

Flag Post

Guys. this isn’t about FOV as this is a top down game. I do however have an idea for a fix; I’m going to decrement the stencil buffer for front face shadows; which should resolve my issue.

They’re talking about FOW (fog of war), not FOV.

As far as your shadows thing, just make it so the shadows can’t cover the walls. I think it’ll mean you can see the walls, but nothing in shadow. A nice compromise.

EDIT:

Something like this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MoonlaughMaster:

As far as your shadows thing, just make it so the shadows can’t cover the walls. I think it’ll mean you can see the walls, but nothing in shadow. A nice compromise.

EDIT:

Something like this.

Yes. Exactly like this- but fade the walls out to darkness just a pinch.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MoonlaughMaster:

EDIT:

Something like this.

That’s what I’m implementing right now, i’l set the stencil buffer to a seperate value for solid tiles :)

Flag Post

Lighting fixed according to last picture:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17828135/shooter.swf

Flag Post

That link shows a yellow screen and nothing more. Am I missing something?
FP 11.4, FF 16.2. Also, I’m not at the desktop, so I can’t blame my old computer this time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

That link shows a yellow screen and nothing more. Am I missing something?
FP 11.4, FF 16.2. Also, I’m not at the desktop, so I can’t blame my old computer this time.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17828135/index.html, I need to use the page link :)