GiTD [#27] Voting page 2

83 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Play_Hub:

Vesper, the paddle’s disappearance is not a glitch, it’s meant to make the game harder, I didn’t make a instructions page, and I apologize for that.

Okay, gave it another try, and yes, this makes the game playable. It’s not the type of a game that I enjoy, but someone else might have fun with it.

Originally posted by Darkscanner:

Are you implying that my website is bad, because I use ads to support it? Also, no feedback on the actual content of the game. You do realize that the website itself is not my entry, right? ):

I imply that why don’t you use Kongregate as a place for your game, if the contest is here and you’re not ashamed of placing that game on your site? And I gave some feedback, albeit shabby. I didn’t see the goal, and was extremely frustrated when I ran out of lives and saw “You earned $xxxxx”. Thanks.

Flag Post

1. Climbing Moon
2. Battlin´Balls

Flag Post

1. Alpina’s Climbing Moon. Fun game, once you get the hang of the controls, which takes a little while. Well done, and complete. Everything is done, everything works. It looks, plays and feels like a full game.

2. Bobikas’ Investigaion [sic] of Wild Animals. Although it doesn’t look totally finished (the game hangs after level 10, for instance), and is way too easy for 90% of the playthrough because the targets are set way too low, it’s an original take on the theme and the genre, with solid execution.

Flag Post

Misstype in the title at the title screen?! Dang.. I knew I shouldn’t leave that to the last minute tasks.. :)

O.T. Today I was soldering at work and after putting my solder iron back to the stand I reached for ctrl+s to save my work.

Flag Post

1st place – Fruit Hell by Tacopian
2nd place – Climbing moon

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:

Are you implying that my website is bad, because I use ads to support it? Also, no feedback on the actual content of the game. You do realize that the website itself is not my entry, right? ):

I imply that why don’t you use Kongregate as a place for your game, if the contest is here and you’re not ashamed of placing that game on your site? And I gave some feedback, albeit shabby. I didn’t see the goal, and was extremely frustrated when I ran out of lives and saw “You earned $xxxxx”. Thanks.

That’s because the game was unfinished, and I understand the Kongregate is not a dumping ground for half finished projects.

Flag Post

1. ApinaInc – Climbing Moon
2. Halysia – Glaive

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:
Sir Jellyton – adware site that’s showing you ads prior to playing the game, and not wanting to acknowledge disabled javascript – bad choice to host.

Nothing wrong with ads, but using a “skip this ad” link as a method to display an obnoxious popup ad is really really shady.

Fair enough. Pop ups removed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:

Nyan Rawrvolution – The main challenge is to not to spam keys, as that cat would want to jump on each, and the numpad references are swapped top for bottom. Also some of the animals don’t get to jump even if they should.

Is that what you meant by “rabbits and pigs don’t fly”? I thought that was a weird comment. They fly for me when I tested it…

I don’t have a Numpad on my laptop, so I was actually using Q, W, E, A, S, D, Z, X, and C… Obviously I’ll have to update that (reversal) as well after the contest is over.

Thanks.

Addition: I just tested it with the Numpad keys, and they still launched (provided I remembered to press 3 for the rabbit instead of 9).

That’s because the game was unfinished, and I understand the Kongregate is not a dumping ground for half finished projects.

Yeah, that’s why I wasn’t wanting to upload mine here; but it was that or nothing, since at that time I couldn’t get fastSWF to work for me and I didn’t have time to look into it (works for me now, using Dev console, so I’ll use that from now on)…

Flag Post

ApinaInc – Climbing Moon
nolanlabs – Battlin’ Balls

My votes, Climbing Moon has a sweet and unique mechanic and is overall the most polished game!
Battlin’ Balls kept me entertained even though I didn’t have anyone to play with, simple but effective!

Flag Post

Comments in the order I played them:

Battlin Balls: Nice idea, love the ball select, but no AI means there’s nothing much for me to do in the game.

Investigation of Wild Animals: Wasn’t really sure how this worked, even after reading instructions. Figured it out for the most part, but it should be made clearer how the scoring works. Remember to spellcheck the text, too.

Sir Jellyton: Felt rushed. Keep working on it and polish it up a lot more.

Ping: Hiding the paddle was frustrating, and I just looked at the mouse location instead anyway.

Codename Bounce: this is really good. Fix the bugs, polish everything more, and explain the bounce mechanic better at the start and this should do well.

Slimargeddon: Feels like you were going for an Amphorous type of game but ran out of time in the contest. Keep working on it. Not sure that it fitted the theme very well.

Pogo: Seems more like a tech demo than a game.

Fat Men Can’t Jump: Funny concept, execution needs more physics.

Fly Stomper: Too basic to contend for votes. Pretty tricky to land your jumps at all, not helped by how late the flies wait to appear on screen.

Climbing Moon: awesome tech, wasted in the game it was presented in. I did like the challenges etc, but put this in a proper platform game or something.

Super Bounce: I played this the other day, can’t forget that bunny. Its a nice little game but a bit buggy and needs more to it.

Disco Balls: Pretty cool but very little longterm value.

BouncyGITD Nyan: Couldn’t get this to load.

Fruit Hell: This made me smile because of the fruit graphics, but the gameplay is too slowpaced even with upgrades and the tutorial punched me in the face.

Glaive: Great start, looks awesome, cool idea. But slow paced, finicky, and in need of more work. I hope this turns into an awesome game.

Headless Pogostickman: I like the graphics, but the hitboxes seem too big, making precision jumping impossible.

VOTES

1. Codename Bounce
  2. Climbing Moon

Flag Post

Bobikas – Investigation of Wild Animals – nice timepass. Love the concept. Needs more variety of level/animals. Game gets boring after a while.
nolanlabs – Battlin’ Balls – Need AI player. Nice concept too, challenged both my hands but right one won twice.
Tacopian – Fruit Hell – needs work, specially background to tutorial as text is not visible against background.
Play_Hub – Ping! – concept is good, needs balancing. Make it blink a little less early on and as the stage advance you can increase the blinking speed/time. Currently level ends quiet soon.
dragon_of_celts – BouncyGiTD: Nyan Nyan Rawrvolution – Didnt get the concept at first, had to read instructions. The game loaded with 3 boxes and I was staring at it for a while before I pressed a key and voila the game started. Nice concept though. Tutorial would be great in game. and maybe start with 2-3 animals and add them as the stage pass.
Kewry – Slima’rgeddon!! – Liked the enemy animation. Bosses needs to be more variant. Also some hint where they will shoot…
Darkscanner – The bouncy adventures of Sir Jellyton-face Gordan: Alpha – Fitting music. Nice parallax effect.
Halysia – Glaive – Nice graphics. No restart option.
Donaldguy – Codename: Bounce! – I think second time space is pressing by itself. Couldnt jump higher than 125 on each try.
Ace_Blue – Pogo – Amazing unique concept. Needs things which can boost the player higher, and things which can slow it down. And make it level based so that each level target is to reach certain point or height.
Teddyatya – The Headless Pogostickman – Nice soundfx. Collision detection needs work.
nutter666 – Disco Balls – Background is clashing but adds nice difficulty. Pretty much an avoider. Need more elements.
Elyzius – Fat Men Can’t Jump! – Hurray I won. But there is no replay value.
galdon2004 – Extreme Fly Stomper – Maybe bigger flies initially, smaller later on.
ApinaInc – Climbing Moon – Well polished. I liked the concept. Upgrades and all was really awesome and well done in such short time. 5/5.
Thepenguinking2 – Super Bounce! – boing sound is annoying. Long gap between restart.

So my votes
1) Climbing moon
2) Pogo

Flag Post

I made the game over screen shorter, and i raised the platform the bunny starts on (To make that impossible jump a little more possible)
Next update will include a mute button and working pause.

Flag Post

1) Climbing Moon
2) Codename: Bounce!

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

BouncyGITD Nyan: Couldn’t get this to load.

??? There is no title screen (or any text whatsoever). When it shows the tri-coloured screen, press any key to begin.

Originally posted by simplegoogly:
dragon_of_celts – BouncyGiTD: Nyan Nyan Rawrvolution – Didnt get the concept at first, had to read instructions. The game loaded with 3 boxes and I was staring at it for a while before I pressed a key and voila the game started. Nice concept though. Tutorial would be great in game. and maybe start with 2-3 animals and add them as the stage pass.

Thanks. I know it’s really not good at the moment [edit blahblahblah]; I should have an actually playable (i.e., not impossible) version with proper animations uploaded once the contest ends.

Eh… Just to make this post OT, I’ll move my voting here:
1st. Climbing Moon
2nd. Glaive

Flag Post

1. Climbing Moon – Loved this game once I figured out what I was supposed to be doing.
2. Codename Bounce, also a very entertaining game. Not sure why its a dinosaur though but hey part of the entertainment I guess.

Flag Post

1. The Headless Pogostickman
2. Pogo

Flag Post

i voting Teddyatya

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thepenguinking2:

I made the game over screen shorter, and i raised the platform the bunny starts on (To make that impossible jump a little more possible)

Wait… we can still modify our entries? I didn’t realize that.

Flag Post

IOWA- it was pretty fun. you may win if you add a bit more.
Battlin’ balls- POKEBALL VS DISCO BALL! great game! maybe you could add a setting to change players to computers? just in case there isn’t anyone to play with :Foreveralone.png:
Fruit hell – Very great game! maybe you could add the ability to go back to a level an play again?
Ping! – I really didn’t like it. it was too hard. nice efforts though.
Nyan nyan – Creative idea. though I didn’t really find the animals to damage well. 3/5
Slima’rgeddon – If you could add arrow keys, I’d give it a 5/5
TBAoSJ-FG – ………….
Glaive – I had fun for a few moments. upgrades would be swell.
Codename: Bounce! – Very addicting. Very fun.
Pogo – very fun game. loved the 3d effects
THPSM – quite a silly game. 4/5
Disco balls – pretty good. however there needs to be more unlockables. 4/5
FMCJIDK how to bounce…
Extreme fly stomper – It’s ard to get distance. add some upgrasdes or make the character bounce higher for the better.
Climbing moon – Arrow keys would be nice. otherwise, great game!
Super Bounce! – heh heh, you know what I’m gonna say.

Ratings
1st:Fruit hell
2nd:Codename: Bounce!

I honestly cannot wait to contribute to the next GiTD.

Flag Post

This one would’ve been fun to do, pity I wasn’t able to find enough time to participate. :(

Anyway:
1) ApinaInc – Climbing Moon
2) nutter666 – Disco Balls

And some brief thoughts on each…yeah I realize this would’ve been useful earlier, but oh again, didn’t get around to it. :(

Investigation of Wild Animals: More animal types would’ve made this more interesting. Also, some sort of visual queue regarding the animals’ “excitement” (lol?) level would’ve been nice, too. Not bad though, this was a close third place.

Battlin’ Balls: I like the fact that I kept losing against opponents with no AI. Yeah I suck. Anyway yeah, some sort of AI would’ve been a nice touch. Oh, and I can turn off players 2, 3, and 4 to win instantly. ;)

Fruit Hell: Another pretty good one, although it felt a bit too slow-paced. Try speeding up everything to make it feel more hectic.

Ping!: The vanishing stuff felt like a bug at first, but after I realized it’s likely a feature of the game, I found that I can just move my mouse out of the game field in order to track its location, then back up just enough for the platform to jump to its location at the right time. A fade-out for each thing might be better than a straight-up visible = false. That way, its clear from the start that things vanishing is intentional.

BouncyGiTD: Nyan Nyan Rawrvolution: At first, I’m not able to do much at all because things are too high to hit. Then, once they’re in range, I need to hit a bunch of things in a very short period of time. That could use work.

Slima’rgeddon!!: Neat, but…it doesn’t really seem to fit the bounce theme very well. Enemies seem too predictable and easy to avoid, too…at least as far as I got.

The bouncy adventures of…: It wasn’t entirely obvious what was helping me and what was hurting me without actively watching my life meter. A visual queue for “ouch” or “yaay” would help.

Glaive: Pretty pixel art! Unfortunately, this also doesn’t seem to really follow the theme, and the play control feels…unrefined somehow. Could be good with some work though

Codename: Bounce!: Stupid unavoidable ridiculously-low-flying planes. :( I really hope you plan on fleshing this out a bit more, because people on kong seem to really eat up launcher games like this. Not my cup of tea though, to be honest.

Pogo: Neat control scheme and take on the theme idea, but there doesn’t seem to be much of anything for me to do other than bounce all over the place. Feels rather incomplete, so I’m not sure what else to say other than “needs moar stuffs to kill/grab/etc.”

The headless pogostickman: I really hate the witches. Also, it’s not always obvious what is a platform and what is part of the background.

Disco Balls: My eyes! D: Really simple game, but the implementation is good enough to keep my attention for a bit. The only thing I don’t like is that sometimes, a new ball will spawn not only close to me, but will also fly right at me. Dying that way feels…cheap, like in the old 8-bit NES days.

Fat men can’t jump: They may not be able to jump, but they can stick to the walls indefinitely. The collisions seem…broken in this game at the moment.

Extreme fly stomper: Simple, and horribly frustrating. Sometimes, I’d need to jump higher than I was able to in order to reach the next fly. Other than that, someone’s comment summed it pretty well: It’s better than it looks.

Climbing Moon: I like the way upgrades are implemented—a per-round challenge rather than a grind for currency. I actually can’t think of anything off the top of my head to offer for improvement, as this felt like the most complete and polished of all the games here.

Super bounce!: This game really, really, really needs a megaman-style “Ready” at the beginning of the stage. The first 2-3 times I started this game, my thing jumped immediately into the drink before I could get my bearings. I won’t elaborate on collisions because that’s already been covered plenty, but there’s also an issue of impossible-jump scenarios occurring, where one platform spawns really low, and the next spawns really high.

Good job everyone. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

BouncyGiTD: Nyan Nyan Rawrvolution: At first, I’m not able to do much at all because things are too high to hit. Then, once they’re in range, I need to hit a bunch of things in a very short period of time. That could use work.

Yeah, I need to adjust the weights of the animals a bit. The UFOs weren’t supposed to all dump out at once at the start, either. It’s not remotely survivable in its current version (except maybe if you’re really, really, REEEEEEEEE(breath)ALLY lucky, you might get past the first set).

Once the contest is over, there’s going to be quite a few upgrades (I’ve already made a few (animations for animals! yay! plus no more alien blitzkrieg), but obviously I can’t update it yet)… I’m going to use simplegoogly’s idea and add animals as the game progresses.

Anyway, thanks for your critique.

Flag Post
TBAoSJ-FG – ………….

Thank you for this in depth analysis of my game! I will keep in mind the loads of advice you have given me, as I continue the game in your honor. This review really has inspired me, and will stay with me for the rest of my life as a developer and otherwise. Thanks man. (;

The bouncy adventures of…: It wasn’t entirely obvious what was helping me and what was hurting me without actively watching my life meter. A visual queue for “ouch” or “yaay” would help.

What if I was to have a plash screen, before playing for the first time, which gave a little avoid/get guide?

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:
Sir Jellyton – adware site that’s showing you ads prior to playing the game, and not wanting to acknowledge disabled javascript – bad choice to host.

Nothing wrong with ads, but using a “skip this ad” link as a method to display an obnoxious popup ad is really really shady.

Fair enough. Pop ups removed.

Smart move – pregame ads are annoying but are used in many settings – youtube, hulu, kongregate, etc. Popup ads on the other hand almost always imply that the website is sketchy.

Also with your game, I had thought the little green bubbles were good for the longest amount of time. (They’re not, are they?)

Originally posted by Ace_Blue:
Originally posted by Thepenguinking2:

Wait… we can still modify our entries? I didn’t realize that.

You’re not really supposed to during the voting period, no. UG can give more specifics I’m sure.

Flag Post

1st – Pogo
2nd – Climbing Moon