anyone familier with Arcade Machines?

5 posts

Flag Post

I have a few questions.

- What does the game play off of, is it a CD?

- Is it in a special programming language?

- Lets say I made a game with as3 or c++ and wanted the arcade machine to play this game. How impossible would it be to do this?

and would buying this book be an investment or a ripoff?

Flag Post
Originally posted by alecz127:

I have a few questions.

- What does the game play off of, is it a CD?

- Is it in a special programming language?

- Lets say I made a game with as3 or c++ and wanted the arcade machine to play this game. How impossible would it be to do this?

and would buying this book be an investment or a ripoff?

- There are probably many ways to do this
- Any code that runs on their processor, be it arm or what ever
- It would be possible but you need a flash player that can run on their platform.

Flag Post

The book is going to be a ripoff. Arcade machines ran on their own internal bytecode (each producer likely had their own hardware and hardware language). If you’re going to build one, just get a laptop or other lightweight machine (and a joystick controller) and tear it to pieces and mount the pieces in the arcade frame.

Flag Post

Sounds great Draco. I’m thinking of buying an arcade machine and adapting it to play the original game or (with dracos plan) probably a labtop or something running a game.
This is a super exicting project!
Getting it to switch between the two is probably going to be the hardest part, maybe I’ll just swap the controls around if I ever want to swap it. So swap the original joystick, ect, for a USB one or something.
I just hope theres some kind of USB arcade buttons or some shit. Idk I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

If I was to buy an old arcade machine, what would you guys recommend? Theres plenty on the market….. but I didn’t get to go to too many arcades as a kid. So I don’t know what would be the best… feel. I want a beautiful hull to work with that feels classic and awesome. Bonus points if its a great game too.

Flag Post

This one

Why? Because my old church used to have one and I thought it was great.

It had a weapon power-up system I haven’t seen used much. Also had the most over powered power-up ever, the 8-way missile. Missiles would fire off from the sides of your aircraft and then curve all over the screen blowing shit up.