Question About Vcam

9 posts

Flag Post

Ahoy!

What exactly would I have to adjust in the script on Vcam to get it to display in a smaller window within the stage instead of the entire stage? Does this question make sense? Sorry, I’m a big noob.

For an example of what I mean, check out Just Trolling, go to the minigames and you’ll see a Troll-Boy 3000 pop up. I know there’s a simple way to get the contents of Vcam to just display in that smaller window instead of the entire stage, but I’m just not sure what to adjust. Any ideas? I played around with it a bit but couldn’t get it to do what I wanted.

Flag Post

How about not using vcam. put everything in a container, scale it, and move it.

Flag Post

Anybody have any suggestions?

Putting what I currently have into a container would require me to change the code on everything, so adjusting vcam to only show up in a 300×300 window within the stage instead of the entire stage would be ideal.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Moshdef:

Putting what I currently have into a container would require me to change the code on everything

Suggestion: change the code on everything.

Flag Post

I just mean that I would have to refer to everything differently, wouldn’t I?

Thanks anyways, guys. I’ll continue to play around with it…

Flag Post

VCAMs cause more problems than they solve. True story.

Flag Post

It’s definitely starting to seem that way, since I just spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out why it was causing a jittery little jump every time my character jumped for no apparent reason. I thought it was really handy, but now I’m getting kind of sick of it… Again, I’m still a huge noob, so hopefully I can find a detailed explanation on how to create your own.

Thanks again for the advice.

Flag Post

Shove the world into a parent container, and move that container around, rather than moving the player.
(The player stays centered on the screen, so why move the player, and then recenter the screen? That’s essentially what a VCAM does. Of course, a VCAM starts to make sense again in a 3D space, due to 3D spacial rotation, depth, and so on, but for the 2D space, moving the world is easy)

Flag Post

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. It’s really annoying making these tiny changes to all of the enemies, spikes, fireballs, etc. but it will be worth it so that the game will play in a smaller window within the stage. It really was as easy as putting it all into its own container, it’s just I have to refer to everything slightly differently now. There may be an easier more efficient way of doing it, but again I’m a noob. I’m just glad it’s going to work! Thanks again.