Interaction with Kongregate

13 posts

Flag Post

OK besides the contest API, is there any other way or planned feature to interact with Kongregate’s site? I would love to make a chat game that included text from the chat into the game itself, or name multiplayer avatars based on the user from Kongregate’s name so you know who is who, and other good stuff like that.

Also was I reading somewhere about storing saved games on Kongregate instead of the local computer’s memory?

Flag Post

Also was I reading somewhere about storing saved games on Kongregate instead of the local computer’s memory?

Yes, a save game feature is coming.

Regarding the Kongregate users name, you can actually grab that now from root.kongregateusername.

Flag Post

We are planning to constantly expand the API to cater to the needs/wants of developers. A save game API is on the way, as well as one for high scores which will allow you to display a leaderboard in game. Other suggestions are always welcome.

Flag Post

name multiplayer avatars based on the user from Kongregate’s name

This coding genius did it http://www.kongregate.com/games/MrcredsAlex/ixtipi

Flag Post

is the chat text accessible from root also?

Flag Post

It might be possible to traverse the hierarchy… _root.chatbox.text or something. Since we know how Flash 8 really really isn’t that good with OOP encapsulation… lol

Flag Post

No, chat runs as a separate object. It runs simultaneously but not in the same shell, so you cant just browse through your game movie structure hoping to find it (unless this has changed recently, which is not likely). The chat and game are allowed to communicate, but only with the API commands through the communication pipeline.

Oh and yes, MrCreds is a coding genius. We can only dream of getting all of our games up to the quality of a genuine MrCreds. Accept no imitations.

Flag Post

But you won’t tell me the API commands right?

Flag Post

The API commands that are fully implemented are already available. There are none that I know of that actually get the text from chat. BenV would know if there are but I highly doubt it since much more important tasks are still open and thats not even important functionality.

Flag Post

Well of course :) I can’t wait for the multiplayer API, need any beta testing developers?

Flag Post

Hahaha <chokes>, oh and Alex alot of people knew about the kongregate_username but chose not to use it.

Flag Post

The next API coming out,I heard,is going to be the Save Game API.True?

And MrCreds is actually a Kongregate Employee in disguise!That’s why he knows so much!!

Flag Post

I’m not a Kongregate employee

We know. Sylicas was poking fun :)