iPhone Apps

22 posts

Flag Post

I want to start developing them, and I’ve got a few questions:
1. I’m assuming I need a developer license, is this for developing them or pu blishing them?
2. I’ve used AS3 for many years, and from what I’ve heard HaXe can develop iPhone apps. Is HaXe similar to AS3?
3. I’ve heard I need a Mac- is this true?

Flag Post

1. Publishing. You’ll have to sign up and I think the fee is $100 per year + 30% revenue cut
2. I’m not qualified to answer that
3. For the final build, I believe it has to be done on a mac.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:
3. For the final build, I believe it has to be done on a mac.

Yes, I also think so. But a mac emulation can always work too.

Also, one of the biggest challenge you might encounter is performances. You will need to do a lot of optimization to get your game to run fine on iPhone.

Flag Post

If you use AIR you don’t need a mac, or haxe.

Flag Post

So- where do I start? I have no idea how to package anything to work on my iPhone.

Flag Post

Well you need the AIR SDK. If you want to test on an iOS device you need a developer code I think, although I believe CS6 has an emulator.

Or you can use objective c on a mac (or apparently a mac simulator).

I don’t have a lot of experience with this, so maybe this will help:
http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play.php?id=116

Edit: Although after watching that for a bit, I don’t trust anyone who writes this:

tx = e.accelerationX * 100
//
ball.x += ((ball.x + tx) - ball.x) * 0.3

Flag Post

I’ve got the SDK- is the developer code the 99$ thing?

Flag Post

Yes

Flag Post

A 5 part tutorial on how to make air apps for ios

But yes, you do need a mac, unfortunately.

Flag Post

To answer your earlier question, Haxe is extremely similar to AS3, there are only some minor differences.

Flag Post

Are you sure iPhone comes with air installed? I know my android didn’t and if I wanted to put any air Apps in the store, users would require air. When I used haXe to create an android app, it ran without any required programs.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Feffers:

Are you sure iPhone comes with air installed? I know my android didn’t and if I wanted to put any air Apps in the store, users would require air. When I used haXe to create an android app, it ran without any required programs.

In adobe flash cs5.5 and after, you can compile for iOS.

Flag Post

Just to clarify on the license thing, you can develop without a license, but you’d need to sell your stuff on Cydia or some other store. If you want to put your app on the App store, it is then that you’d need the license.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jasonjie88:

Just to clarify on the license thing, you can develop without a license, but you’d need to sell your stuff on Cydia or some other store. If you want to put your app on the App store, it is then that you’d need the license.

So I don’t need it to test on my iPhone?

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

If your iPhone is hacked, you can test without a license. If not, I think you’ll need a license.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sanchex:

If your iPhone is hacked, you can test without a license. If not, I think you’ll need a license.

Guess I’ll have to hack it then :P

Flag Post

Or just develop for android and not require an expensive license. :P

Flag Post

I’ve got an iPhone.

Flag Post

Well, $100 or $25 per year. Not an enormous difference, especially if you are serious about making mobile apps. The real down-side of developing for iPhone is that you need a mac. :P

Flag Post

Can you not use the AIR packager on windows?

Flag Post

I’ve got an iPhone.

Drop that puppy and get an Android phone, preferably powered by an nVidia Tegra 3 processor.

Flag Post

Android > iPhone.