PGGC #3: Planet page 2

85 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:
Originally posted by Elyzius:

After studying the object with a spectrum analyzer, scientists at NASA have concluded that it is a dick.

Heh. Don’t judge me- i was bored.

I agree, cut him some slack. We don’t need to be a dick about all this, do we?

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

After studying the object with a spectrum analyzer, scientists at NASA have concluded that it is a dick.

Heh. Don’t judge me- i was bored.

At 26 years old, I know I should be far more mature than this, but I am guilty of the exact same thing. Except mine are quite a bit more anatomically correct and I’m better about removing them before showcasing any work.

Flag Post

My first attempt at this
Is slow as hell, my PC reports 4fps. But seemingly correct.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Feffers:

Quickly rushed out an entry made in an hour or two because I love space so much.

That is actually quite nice! A whole solar system, if I’m not mistaken?

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:

My first attempt at this
Is slow as hell, my PC reports 4fps. But seemingly correct.

Couple complaints, although it is nice:

1) It appears that if a planet has a moon, and that moon touches the sun (or anything else?), the entire planet blows up rather than just the moon.

2) The “dust” from the explosion dissipates too quickly. I’ve love to see it hang around a bit longer.

3) Your planets don’t have stable orbits. You’ve gone and ignored a key piece of astrophysics: when an object ends up nudged closer to its orbit-parent, it moves faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhS8K4gFu4s

Flag Post

hehe, wrong quote :)

Flag Post

hehe, wrong quote :)

*Flail*

Flag Post

Here’s a screenshot of my first attempt to create an Earth-like planet.

From what I’ve observed, there doesn’t seem to be a fast way to generate realistic islands and continents. My algorithm takes about 3 seconds on my i7 PC, and I’ve only implemented a fraction of the features I want, which includes generating planets that look nothing like Earth. Nevertheless. I feel that what I have is already a good base for adding more features to.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

My crazily advanced entry

On a bad note, I think swfs with telemetry enabled mess up fastswf because it changes the swf header information. Argh.

Note: this was wrong actually. Turns out the swf was just using a compression algorithm that wasn’t supported. However, fastswf should be updated now to support these kinds of files.

Flag Post

Updated preview, now a bit faster: http://www.fastswf.com/9ba7jDQ
BTW, it’s weird that FP10 runs this on this PC at 11fps, while FP11 in the browser runs only at 7fps.

Flag Post

I got 4 fps, vesperbot.

I’m dreaming about implementing bump mapping in my entry

Imagine generating something like that… But I have got no idea how so I won’t. I guess I would have to implement 3D and all. Not hoping to win really, just learn and have fun.

BTW I’m wondering how to apply perlin noise directly to a bitmapdata with a given alpha (so that the graphics that’s already there can be seen) – ?

Flag Post

Which one has the alpha transparency, the perlin noise bitmapdata or the other bitmapdata?

If it’s the perlin noise one, you can do something like this maybe:

bdMyTexture.draw(bdPerlinNoise, null, null, BlendMode.NORMAL);

Flag Post

I wonder, is this a normal result of a DSA?

Used random texture map as displacement, either channel can be used as heightmap.

ErlendHL, okay time for preliminary optimisation :)

Update: http://www.fastswf.com/w1gIDvY A new version, with a small added feature.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ErlendHL:

I got 4 fps, vesperbot.

Everyone else give up now. :P

I wonder, is this a normal result of a DSA?

Used random texture map as displacement, either channel can be used as heightmap.

ErlendHL, okay time for preliminary optimisation :)

Update: http://www.fastswf.com/w1gIDvY A new version, with a small added feature.

It looks tiled/fractalized in some manner, but ostensibly, yes.

You’ve got funny looking peaks, but that looks like DSA.

Flag Post

What does DSA mean?

Flag Post

vesperbot that runs with 4 fps on my stationary computer with 8-core 3.10 GHz processor (if that’s relevant information but anyway, this computer should be a lot faster than the slow school computer.,..)

Flag Post

What does DSA mean?

Diamond-Square Algorithm.

Flag Post

I’m surprised with standalone performance of this, if I run it in FD’s FP10 debug player, it runs at ~15fps! But when it comes to the browser, 4-5 fps is all it could do. This is FP10 tho, should I use Stage3D it might get a ton faster.

Draco, this is what my attempt at an DSA algorithm produces when I say width=1536, height=768, kernel=256. So it’s basically 6×3 of a standard 256×256 algorithm. About the picture – for some reason it looks garbled in my FF right now, but if I download the image, it’s like normal…

Originally posted by Draco18s:

Yep, I too can do bumpmapping, and will likely implement some. It’ll be one more shader for bumpmapping, one more mini-heightmap to do tricks, and probably something more.

Flag Post

I got 4 fps, vesperbot.

Ha! My entry is going to be in stunning 3D and will make use of highly detailed bump maps. Behold.

As you can see, I’m skilled at using Adobe software. :P

Flag Post

Guys, I’m pretty sure Elyzius is going to win. That is a sweet planet.

Flag Post

Draco, this is what my attempt at an DSA algorithm produces when I say width=1536, height=768, kernel=256. So it’s basically 6×3 of a standard 256×256 algorithm. About the picture – for some reason it looks garbled in my FF right now, but if I download the image, it’s like normal…

I thought diamond-square need a 2^n+1 value, not 2^n.
I guess the algorithm is adding the +1 for you..?

Flag Post

Yep, I too can do bumpmapping, and will likely implement some. It’ll be one more shader for bumpmapping, one more mini-heightmap to do tricks, and probably something more.

I didn’t mean that I would implement bumpmapping, was just dreaming. So if you implement bump mapping, does that mean you have a 3D engine?

Edit: Btw, how efficient is perlin noise? My entry is lagging so bad I’m wondering if it’s worth it to cache the perlin noise?!

Edit 2: Just to prevent double post. This is my current swf :D

Flag Post

I didn’t mean that I would implement bumpmapping, was just dreaming. So if you implement bump mapping, does that mean you have a 3D engine?

Why not make your dream a reality? Bump mapping can easily be done in 2D with AS3 (or even with AS2 for that matter). You just need to use the proper filters.

Edit: Btw, how efficient is perlin noise? My entry is lagging so bad I’m wondering if it’s worth it to cache the perlin noise?!

Once the perlin noise is created, it should behave just like any other bitmapdata. If you’re experiencing lag even after your perlin noise is generated, you may have to look elsewhere for the cause of the problem.

Flag Post

I thought diamond-square need a 2^n+1 value, not 2^n.
I guess the algorithm is adding the +1 for you..?

I wrap around the data manually. After all, both sides in 2^N+1 square are equal, why should I bother?

Edit 2: Just to prevent double post. This is my current swf :D

Not exactly, I have a bunch of Pixel Bender shaders doing much dirty work across 2D space. Some of these de-facto interpret their data as 3D textures, using formulae that are designed for 3D. But the entire dataset is purely 2D. (Well, it’s like an old 3D engine of say Doom 1, it’s using pure 2D for all but display) And a bumpmapping shader only requires lightmap splattered across a texture. (Perhaps the main shader that’s lagging now is not the sphere-mapper but light-mapper, as it attempts to interpret a given texture as already laying on the sphere… have to rework that too. But I want also to provide at least forest/water texture for actual planet surface… time is of the essence.)

Perlin noise as of BitmapData is pretty grim performance-wise, but if you would write a shader that would generate that for you (I’m actively thinking about this, and will likely succeed), it can amp performance tenfold.

I wonder what the SWF should display. I see some curves flying into the deep, that’s all.

Flag Post

Yup, in my lame demo I linked before, I run a 400×300 perlinnoise function every frame and it just kills performance. Doing it a few times won’t hurt anything, but running perlinnoise every frame is going to be bad.