Kong license agreement

13 posts

Flag Post

Has anyone read it?

2. License. Developer hereby grants to Kongregate a worldwide, non-exclusive, sublicensable right and license to (i) use, reproduce, distribute, display, publicly perform, deliver, market, and promote, Developer Materials through the Kongregate Platform, and (ii) to develop, create, implement, and/or distribute modifications or derivative works from Developer Materials as necessary in order to incorporate Developer Materials in the Kongregate Platform.

Who whom would Kong sublicense developer materials? Just curious. I am a perfectionist.

Flag Post

Gamestop, or any one of their affiliates likely, for said activities.

Flag Post

Probably GameStop, because that’s the corporation.

Flag Post

Right, GameStop. They showcase some of the site’s flash games in store, in advertisements, and in the GameInformer magazine.

Flag Post

Gamestop owns GameInformer? Is that just in America or Worldwide?

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Gamestop owns GameInformer? Is that just in America or Worldwide?

Quothe Wikipedia,

Game Informer debuted in August 1991 when Funcoland started publishing a six-page magazine. It is owned and published by GameStop Corp., the parent company of the video game retailer of the same name, who bought Funcoland in 2000.

Flag Post

Ok, thanks for the replies. My lawyer father has taught me to read agreements carefully. I was just curious.

What about the modifications and derivative works part? Does Kong actually sometimes modify people’s games? :o

Flag Post

That would probably be referring to badges.

Flag Post

Yeah, they create and edit screenshots (mostly just by cropping) for badge images and feature images.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

That would probably be referring to badges.

Hmm, you might be right. When I thought of modifications I was thinking of decompiling the game and changing parts of it. But that doesn’t seem like something Kong would do.

Flag Post

The wording does sound like it allows going in and changing the game itself…

Not that that would be at all a good use of employee time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by player_03:

The wording does sound like it allows going in and changing the game itself…

Not that that would be at all a good use of employee time.

It would be interesting if Kongregate could employ this usage to fix Sola Rola for the badges it has. They simply need to redirect the URL to a working set of level files.

Flag Post

ZShadow, can you tell us what that language means? Just curious.