Game Design Software

8 posts

Flag Post

Do you guys know of any good game design software that’s free? I use stencyl right now, and it’s great, but the problem with it is I only get 15-20 MB of room per game (hence why there wasn’t any background music in DynaDan). So if you guys know anything, let me know!

Oh, and if I posted this in the wrong forum, I’m sorry. I’m still kind of a noob when it comes to this site.

Flag Post

Stencyl is the best free software if you want drag and drop scripting. There are alternatives if you want to do the coding yourself, however, such as FlashDevelop.

But – 20mb is HUGE for a Flash game. Kong won’t allow you to upload anything bigger anyway. The problem may be that you’re trying to use full length, high quality songs in your game?

Flag Post

It’s possible. I know I’m going to have to dumb it down so I publish it. Newgrounds has the same limit for flash games. I googled it and I found some other programs but they cost money :(

Flag Post

On a slower connection, 20MB would take nearly half an hour to load.
Just Another Shadow, one of my games, is only 1.2MB and it has two full length songs for background music, albeit very simple graphics.

Flag Post

You really shouldn’t need 20MB, even if you have songs that are 5-6MB you can usually compress them down to less than 1MB without any noticeable quality drop.

Seriously, if you have anything bigger than 20MB people won’t play your game because your game will take so long time to load they will just rate it one star and [x] it away.

Flag Post

That’s kind of what happened with Goku vs. Superman, but that was only 14.5 MB. I’m worried about future releases on this site, because I’m afraid they won’t be popular. I like to put a lot into my flash games, and I’ve gotten a lot better since DynaDan and Goku vs. Superman.

I just hope the public will be accepting of such games.

Flag Post

You say “only” 14.5mb but most Flash games are below 5mb. You need to work out what’s causing your filesize to be so huge – again, probably the music – and then fix that.

Flag Post

Yeah that’s what I think it is too.