Adobe Dropping Support for AS2 in next Flash Pro

28 posts

Flag Post

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashpro/2012/12/18/exciting-changes-to-flash-professional-in-2013/

Flag Post

And FD no longer offers an AS2 template in their newest builds, IIRC. This is good news that they are slowly pushing it over AS2.

And if AS3.1 (AS Next or whatever) requires different projects from AS3, it makes sense to remove the oldest version.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

And FD no longer offers an AS2 template in their newest builds, IIRC. This is good news that they are slowly pushing it over AS2.

And if AS3.1 (AS Next or whatever) requires different projects from AS3, it makes sense to remove the oldest version.

And thank God for that.

Flag Post

Amen.

(I still have an unfinished AS2 game though…one I’d really like to complete)

Flag Post

FYI, the Haxe compiler can still target Flash all the way back to version 6, if you should need it (such as for targeting the outdated Wii Flash Player)

Flag Post

So, this seems like a great idea. I hate AS2 as much as any one of you. It’s awful, it doesn’t do stupid things like include a function for trimming strings or regular expressions at all the way functions are scoped in classes drives you bonkers.

Also, Flash CS is needlessly slow and bloated and has a lot of not very well developed features.

But…..

A lot of times when I’m working for a client, they project they give me is some super old business app or game or something done in AS2. Many times it’s all done in one giant .fla file. I subscribe to this new program Adobe has been pushing where you get all their products and pay a monthly fee. And guess what:

8. If an updated version of a Cloud product is released will I be required to update my installed copy? Can I install and use more than one version of the same software?

You will not be able to install multiple versions of the software using the Creative Cloud subscription, but can have older versions installed that use a perpetual license. Again in the Creative Cloud FAQ under Product updates the question When an upgrade to a desktop application becomes available in Creative Cloud, am I required to install it? says “No. You are not required to install any new version of the desktop software available in your membership. You also have flexibility on when you install an upgrade, if you choose to do so. You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released.”

So, when Flash gets upgraded, I’m either going to have to not upgrade my version of Flash, or I’m going to have to upgrade and then buy the product I owned right before I upgraded. Not the end of the world, just a tad nasty.

Flag Post

Good riddance to you, AS2. :D

@Draco: You should do what I did and just port your project over to AS3. Once you get on a roll, it’s really not so bad and is totally worth it in the end.

Flag Post

I was just about to say, Draco, send your project to Aesica for conversion to AS3, she just loves doing that!

Flag Post

This is a bad move. Although AS3 is a better language etc, the fact is that, like Bob pointed out already, there are a lot of corporate customers who still use AS2. They’re not necessarily going to make the switch to AS3, they just won’t upgrade their software – and may even switch away from Flash entirely in favor of mobile friendly options such as HTML5.

Adobe is selling software, not the language itself, and removing support for something that’s still used by a lot of people is never a good idea. Unless there’s something in AS Next that turns out to be exceptionally worthwhile to people currently still using AS2, none of those users have any reason to upgrade rather than moving to other technologies.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

This is a bad move. Although AS3 is a better language etc, the fact is that, like Bob pointed out already, there are a lot of corporate customers who still use AS2. They’re not necessarily going to make the switch to AS3, they just won’t upgrade their software – and may even switch away from Flash entirely in favor of mobile friendly options such as HTML5.

Adobe is selling software, not the language itself, and removing support for something that’s still used by a lot of people is never a good idea. Unless there’s something in AS Next that turns out to be exceptionally worthwhile to people currently still using AS2, none of those users have any reason to upgrade rather than moving to other technologies.

You’re missing a vital point here: You can still buy previous versions of the software. No one is forcing you to use CS6/7.

Flag Post

Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

You can still buy previous versions of the software.

you can?

Flag Post
Originally posted by skyboy:

You can still buy previous versions of the software.

you can?

I had assumed you could, but I’d actually like to know for certain as well.

Flag Post

I bet satan is shopping for skates, who expected hell to freeze over just before christmas?

Flag Post

You’re missing a vital point here: You can still buy previous versions of the software. No one is forcing you to use CS6/7.

How am I missing a vital point when what you said was the entire point of my post??

Users won’t buy the new version if they aren’t already using AS3, because they have no reason to. We already established they own the current version of Flash (they have existing AS2 projects), so they’re unlikely to decide to buy extra copies. This means Adobe loses a bunch of corporate clients all in one go, and if you didn’t realize, corporate licenses are where Adobe make a lot (most?) of their money from Flash (individual users have a tendency to pirate the software).

Any business shedding customers like that needs to be pretty certain their new product is going to make up the drop in some way. They won’t get those clients back unless AS Next contains some absolutely unmissable features in a way that current AS2 users can switch to easily.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

I was just about to say, Draco, send your project to Aesica for conversion to AS3, she just loves doing that!

Haha.

I don’t need to convert to AS3 to get it done, what’s stopping me is level design. So even if it was AS3 it’d still be dead in the water. XD

Flag Post

But…level design is the fun part. :(

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

For that project, it’s actually really boring. >..>

But hey, if you want to draw a bunch of mazes (and I’ll admit that the way the code works, it’s not done in the best fashion; the collision and display layers are different) I’ll happily toss the files your way.

Flag Post

I have a Flash MX (lol) and a CS3 if you need them.
Also, now you have a good excuse to overcharge anyone asking you to work in AS2.
hr/>
E: Isn’t it possible to have multiple installed versions of FD? You could simply keep one of the old/AS2-compatible versions installed somewhere.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

For that project, it’s actually really boring. >..>

But hey, if you want to draw a bunch of mazes (and I’ll admit that the way the code works, it’s not done in the best fashion; the collision and display layers are different) I’ll happily toss the files your way.

Tempting, (Well, it’s AS2, so not really!) but I’ve got my flash time pretty full. :D

Flag Post

Tempting, (Well, it’s AS2, so not really!) but I’ve got my flash time pretty full. :D

Oh thhb. I’m not even asking you to code anything.
But alright. Back in the freezer it goes.

Flag Post

Whoa, that was abrupt. Did they even get rid of AS1 support yet? My CS4 has it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

CS5.5 has it too.

Flag Post

AS1 and AS2 are pretty well the same thing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

AS1 is exactly the same as AS2, but it’s the timeline version.
So:
AS1 = Timeline code
AS2 = Class code

Flag Post
AS1 is exactly the same as AS2

Not really, I’ve read that AS1 was even crappier than AS2 (yes, it’s possible).
ie, it was case insensitive, so stuff, Stuff and sTUff were the same thing. You couldn’t extend other classes (see below), plus you had all the weird on(event) nonsense.

Also, timeline code isn’t AS1 only; many people keep doing that in AS2. On a related note, you could have one class in AS1, which is still better than the typical AS2 monster-frame that is posted here every few months.

That said, it’s safe to say that both languages are crap and make no sense at all. AS2 is a world of WTF, I can only imagine in fear how it was to work with its predecesor.