GiTD [#28] Entries and Discussion page 3

299 posts

Flag Post

@UG Given the way i’m raycasting the light, the actual torchbeam tends to be a bit jagged around the walls and overlap anyway.. so blurring a bit before that isn’t necessarily a bad thing in my case. Either way it looks ugly right now so I need to fix it.

EDIT: No need for a double post,

http://www.fastswf.com/eOi0-sk

I fixed it. It turns out putting the filter on movieclip which is being masked, rather than the actual mask itself works. Looks pretty nice too.

Flag Post

I think it’s safe to say that a strong majority of the people in this thread do this, including me. Hooray for saving!

Flag Post

I’ve probably asked this before, but just to be safe: Can I cannibalize old projects for graphical assets and reusable classes?

Flag Post

Yes. If its a partially complete game you are building off, no. Library code is fine.

Flag Post

Funny how everyone seems to care about those prizes… :D

Anyway, count me in, for the first time. Working with flixel / flixelpowertools + DAME, might also make use of TweenLite.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Yes. If its a partially complete game you are building off, no. Library code is fine.

I thought so, just wanted to be sure. And yeah, it’s all library code (dialog system, tooltips, preloader guts, etc — basically, boring crap that I don’t want to have to code again in likely the exact same way as I’ve previously done. I also plan on stealing a ton of graphics from previous projects, because that crap will take far too much time to do from scratch.

Flag Post

The music deal that we had last time will also happen this time: If you post your game on day 7, you can PM him 2 tracks from his collection that you would like in your game.

Flag Post

I’m making a timelapse of my progress:

Flag Post
Originally posted by DrYoshiyahu:

That little guy looks great.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kewry:

That little guy looks great.

Unfortunately; he’s not mine. He’s from the public domain. :P

Flag Post

Still better looking than my placeholders :D

EDIT: Changed to mouse controls, move mouse above the skier to slow down

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kewry:

Still better looking than my placeholders :D

EDIT: Changed to mouse controls, move mouse above the skier to slow down

Looks really good, but it’s too long to see the whole thing on my screen. :(

Flag Post

Looks really good, but it’s too long to see the whole thing on my screen. :(

Yea, I assumed I’d have to play a bit with the dimensions later on :P

Flag Post

A quick update on my entry. Not much of an actual game yet, but that’s because i’m been focusing on the atmosphere of it instead.

http://www.fastswf.com/ncczndc

The Red dot is now an actual person who can walk around (Up and Down to move, player walks in the direction he’s facing) and i’ve got it working so the torch sways a little as you walk, just to add a little more realism, hoping to add random flickering to the torch as if its running out of batteries next (which will eventually a core part of the gameplay)

Flag Post
Originally posted by nutter666:

A quick update on my entry. Not much of an actual game yet, but that’s because i’m been focusing on the atmosphere of it instead.

http://www.fastswf.com/ncczndc

The Red dot is now an actual person who can walk around (Up and Down to move, player walks in the direction he’s facing) and i’ve got it working so the torch sways a little as you walk, just to add a little more realism, hoping to add random flickering to the torch as if its running out of batteries next (which will eventually a core part of the gameplay)

I’d recommend including the ability to strafe (left and right). It’s very intuitive and realisitc. And adding controls for WASD as well will make it more comfortable for a lot of people who instinctively reach for those controls… like me…

The collisions are good and fairly smooth, I’m not sure if you plan on fixing the jumping shadows or not but they’re something to think about.

Oh and I’m also seeing one column of magenta pixels on the far right side, dunno if it’s me or you.

Flag Post

I only have a couple of days to work on this so doubt I’ll finish, but give it a go anyway.

Flag Post

That looks really good Halysia!

Flag Post

I’m at a 2 day (perhaps 3 day) disadvantage xD…

Maybe I’ll make something like “Play card game or die” xD

Flag Post

I’d recommend including the ability to strafe (left and right). It’s very intuitive and realisitc. And adding controls for WASD as well will make it more comfortable for a lot of people who instinctively reach for those controls… like me…

The collisions are good and fairly smooth, I’m not sure if you plan on fixing the jumping shadows or not but they’re something to think about.

Oh and I’m also seeing one column of magenta pixels on the far right side, dunno if it’s me or you.

The Magneta pixels will be where i didn’t stretch the bottom darkness layer far enough, so yeah it is me not you. Yeah i’ll be adding ASWD and strafing as soon as I figure out how exactly to make it work in this setup.

What did you mean by jumping shadows though?

Flag Post

That looks pretty awesome, Halysia! :D

I’ve got an early working version of my game, there’s only one level atm, though – Click here.

Flag Post

The shadows on the blocks don’t always move smoothly, they seem to sometimes jump from one angle to another drastically.

Flag Post

The shadows on the blocks don’t always move smoothly, they seem to sometimes jump from one angle to another drastically.

Ah right.. yeah that’ll be down to how many rays im using for the raycasting.. if I bump it up, it’ll look smoother but it’ll be more CPU intensive.. im trying to find a nice balance at the moment.

In a slightly unrelated note. I was hoping to have stuff like locked doors and keys in my game but since you can apparently only mask a single object per mask, i’m probably going to have to make it purely exploration.

Well exploration and running away from the Slender/Darkness/Evil Monster thats stalking you.

Flag Post

http://www.fastswf.com/8KCzizg

Another quick update, started to implement ASWD controls (still working on strafing) and i’ve increased the number of rays so the torchbeam should be a little smoother. Its currently 20 (it was 10 before), I tried it at 40 (which is basically 1 ray for each degree of the beam’s angle) but it didn’t appear any different to just using 20. Let me know what you guys think.

Flag Post

Here is our first daily sneak peak. Me and Peroxen working together in this project again. I hope we can make a good game, doesn’t matter, who will win. :)
So, here it is:

Flag Post

Anybody else doing “Jump or Die”? I know it’s not the most imaginative idea, but I’m making it like a deadly Asian game show.

Also, Skate or Die!!!