GiTD [#28] Entries and Discussion page 6

299 posts

Flag Post

Personally, I think relative controls (as nutter666 currently has them) are better for his game than orthogonal controls (what everyone is calling WASD for some reason I’m not grasping). Obviously, we are in the minority (at least of the ones that have voiced their opinion here on the matter).

Flag Post
Originally posted by dragon_of_celts:

Personally, I think relative controls (as nutter666 currently has them) are better for his game than orthogonal controls (what everyone is calling WASD for some reason I’m not grasping). Obviously, we are in the minority (at least of the ones that have voiced their opinion here on the matter).

People generally prefer familiarity. WASD is what they’re used to and feel most comfortable with.

The easiest thing to do, would be to just give the player a choice in the options menu.

You could restrict the players movement to just forward/back, but if you’re doing that, I suggest making the levels slightly larger, so that they are easier to navigate.

Flag Post

Weird posting issue going on here…

Ok, I’ve had a pretty lazy day (NYE celebrations + Big New Years Day Lunch = Lazy Nutter) But I have got a few new things added, Flashlight can be toggled on and off with mouse click, pointless for now but it’ll be used to save the battery later.

I’ve also begun to add a few sounds, the volume is dynamic so you can hear a monster before you see it and it’ll get louder as you get closer. Should add nicely to the atmosphere. Ive also made a decision regarding movement controls. I’m going to keep it as it is, reworking it would take time i’d rather spend on adding new stuff and I prefer it this way. If it feels unnatural to players then it’ll help build the situation of fear, lack of control and tension.

http://www.fastswf.com/EoV9iAg

Flag Post
Originally posted by nutter666:

Weird posting issue going on here…

Ok, I’ve had a pretty lazy day (NYE celebrations + Big New Years Day Lunch = Lazy Nutter) But I have got a few new things added, Flashlight can be toggled on and off with mouse click, pointless for now but it’ll be used to save the battery later.

I’ve also begun to add a few sounds, the volume is dynamic so you can hear a monster before you see it and it’ll get louder as you get closer. Should add nicely to the atmosphere. Ive also made a decision regarding movement controls. I’m going to keep it as it is, reworking it would take time i’d rather spend on adding new stuff and I prefer it this way. If it feels unnatural to players then it’ll help build the situation of fear, lack of control and tension.

http://www.fastswf.com/EoV9iAg

You should make the pan dynamic as well for anyone with surround sound/headphones. :D
As for the control debate, in a game where someone might need to escape a situation quickly; having unfamiliar controls might be extremely frustrating when people walk straight into a wall and die.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gama11:

Edit: Btw, is it allowed to get some music from the NG audio portal?

I hope so, because that’s where I’m going to harvest. Then again, I probably won’t finish on time, so…blah. :)

Flag Post

The music deal that we had last time (post your prototype on day 7, then you can shoot orandze 2 tracks you want from his portfolio) should happen this time.

The only reason it would not happen is if he is offline when everyone PMs him. He said “sure” when I asked him but he has been offline a lot recently so I’m not positive it will work out.

Flag Post

Gamble or Die!

I couldn’t get fastswf to work for me, so I have to use other websites for this purpose…

And yes, I build this game from scratch.

Flag Post

Found an artist for my game. Gotta work hard to see if I can get it all done in time. I’ll post what I got either way.

Flag Post

For music, one can use incompetech, there are very good pieces that are royalty free and all you have to do is credit him.

@SSDRWH0
I like the idea of having to gamble in a time limit. Mind if I ask how you did the RPG narrating style text at the beginning? I tried to do that once for a project but couldn’t figure out how.

Flag Post

@ adamkingdom

http://active.tutsplus.com/tutorials/games/make-an-rpg-style-text-system-for-your-next-game/

This helped me make that RPG narrative style. It’s quite easy to modify it!

Flag Post
Originally posted by SSDRWH0:

Gamble or Die!

I couldn’t get fastswf to work for me, so I have to use other websites for this purpose…

Seemed to work for me when I tried: http://www.fastswf.com/uHaVKBo

Flag Post

@ bob

I think it’s just that it didn’t notify me whether it was uploaded or not (might’ve made multiple uploads as a result).

How did you find my submission?

Flag Post

He stole it from your webpage and uploaded it.

Sometimes fastswf takes a second or two from when the bar shows 100% to when it redirects you as well.

Flag Post

Thanks for the link SSDRWH0! Haha, I completely forgot substrings existed since my last ICS course. Couldn’t grasp how to get the visual trick of making the text slowly appear at all.

Flag Post

@adamkingdom

No probs!

Flag Post
Originally posted by SSDRWH0:

Gamble or Die!

I’m not too sure that the actual blackjack bit works properly.

Once, I had 21 and he had 18. It said I lost. Then, I had 27 and he had 19. It said there was a draw.

Flag Post

@ feartehstickman

I noticed a few recent bugs as well…

I’ll try and fix em as quickly as possible.

update: I re-uploaded the content with a few extras I’ve added on it.

Gamble or Die! V-0.2

Flag Post

Regarding having to escape quickly in my game. The idea is, the light keeps the monsters away, so as long as you have the flashlight on, the monsters won’t attack you so you won’t need to run. If the flashlight battery dies, it’ll be total darkness and they’ll swarm you anyway so no amount of running would save you.

I’m trying to create this idea that they’re always there… just out of sight, just outside of the flashlight’s beam waiting for you to slip up… that the flashlight is the only thing keeping them away. It’ll be a lot better when I add more sounds like footsteps and monster breathing sounds as ambience. So even when you’re not moving if you hear footsteps you know something is out there in the darkness.

Im trying to limit the players contact with the enemies to glances and sneak peeks and sound cues because that way the player can form their own ideas and images about what they are and that’s much scarier than anything I can create (well I think so anyway).

The game is more about exploration against a time limit (before the battery dies) than fighting/escape the monsters. I’m not intending on the player actually engaging the monsters other than in “scripted events” when I put them in like the ones now. That’s part of the reason the current areas are small, they’re just basements (or small prison cell rooms) for a much larger house/military complex/etc i’m planning on opening it up into a bigger area, once they’ve escaped the basement. Hopefully with some Resi Evil style puzzles rather than just key searching.

Flag Post

Regarding having to escape quickly in my game. The idea is, the light keeps the monsters away, so as long as you have the flashlight on, the monsters won’t attack you so you won’t need to run. If the flashlight battery dies, it’ll be total darkness and they’ll swarm you anyway so no amount of running would save you. The game is more about exploration against a time limit (before the battery dies) than fighting/escape the monsters. I’m not intending on the player actually engaging the monsters other than in “scripted events” when I put them in like the ones now.

Im trying to limit the players contact with the enemies to glances and sneak peeks. That way the player can form their own ideas about what they are and thats much scarier than anything I can create.

A good idea would be to create really unexpected events, like a trail of blood the player follows, expecting a monster at the end, then they find a key and a dead end, they turn around to go back, and there’s a monster BEHIND them. ;)

Flag Post

Do you think it’s too late in the jam to change the entire engine of my game, the way the player moves, interacts with the environment, and stays alive? …Nah!

Flag Post
Originally posted by DrYoshiyahu:

A good idea would be to create really unexpected events, like a trail of blood the player follows, expecting a monster at the end, then they find a key and a dead end, they turn around to go back, and there’s a monster BEHIND them. ;)

Yes! Now that’s what im aiming for :D I wanna scare people.. I want them to feel like that flashlight growing dimmer and dimmer genuinely means they’re going to die.

Next question, the flashlight current takes 28 minutes (of constant use) to dim out and die completely, which means the player has that long to complete it.. Is 20-25 minutes worth of levels/gameplay too long do you think? would you get bored by then?

Flag Post
Originally posted by DrYoshiyahu:

Yes! Now that’s what im aiming for :D I wanna scare people.. I want them to feel like that flashlight growing dimmer and dimmer genuinely means they’re going to die.

Next question, the flashlight current takes 28 minutes (of constant use) to dim out and die completely, which means the player has that long to complete it.. Is 20-25 minutes worth of levels/gameplay too long do you think? would you get bored by then?

I don’t know if I’d be bored (that depends more on the gameplay than on the time it takes), but it’d certainly be frustrating to lose after 20 minutes because the flashlight died. Maybe add normal and nightmare mode and save all the hardcore features for the second/hard mode.

Flag Post

I get what you mean Senekis, but equally if they died it would be their own fault. The flashlight dying is basically just an alternative to having a timer counting down in the window saying “Escape in X time or you lose”.

The only way to lose would be for you to run out of time (or commit suicide by turning off the torch and letting yourself get eaten) so yeah it’d be frustrating but you’d know that the reason you did lose is because you weren’t quick enough and if you played again you’d have a better idea what to do so you’d be quicker.

Flag Post

I get what you mean Senekis, but equally if they died it would be their own fault. The flashlight dying is basically just an alternative to having a timer counting down in the window saying “Escape in X time or you lose”.

The only way to lose would be for you to run out of time (or commit suicide by turning off the torch and letting yourself get eaten) so yeah it’d be frustrating but you’d know that the reason you did lose is because you weren’t quick enough and if you played again you’d have a better idea what to do so you’d be quicker.

There should be a timer and batteries you can pick up every so often that keep the light alive for a short amount of time. That way, you’re always adrenaline-pumped about finding new ones quickly enough.

Flag Post

http://www.fastswf.com/1FvF6pg

Torch updates today, and a few sound changes. Oh and a basic preloader.. because I was sick of watching a blank load screen.