GiTD [#28] Entries and Discussion page 7

299 posts

Flag Post

8 hours until beta testing time!
…oh dear…

Originally posted by nutter666:

http://www.fastswf.com/1FvF6pg

Torch updates today, and a few sound changes. Oh and a basic preloader.. because I was sick of watching a blank load screen.

If you’re looking for a classic scare tactic, complete silence, followed by a loud noise has the surprise factor down.

Flag Post

…oh dear…

D: uh oh.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

…oh dear…

D: uh oh.

I haven’t actually gotten to the part where the player loses and gets “game over” yet… Still deciding how that happens exactly…

Flag Post

Errr wait. Its actually tomorrow that the beta-testing-posting is, right? 7 days from Thursday night is Thursday night and today is Wednesday.

But you are fine if you post a day early. I just wanted a nice chunk of time for people to work.

Flag Post

Errr wait. Its actually tomorrow that the beta-testing-posting is, right? 7 days from Thursday night is Thursday night and today is Wednesday.

But you are fine if you post a day early. I just wanted a nice chunk of time for people to work.

Oh I thought it was ON day 7, not AFTER 7 days. :P Phew! I might actually have something to present by then. :P

Flag Post

I’m going to have company for the next three days so there is a chance that I won’t finish completely :/ Although, I’m going to try and finish completely before the end of the month for #1GAM.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

I’m going to have company for the next three days so there is a chance that I won’t finish completely :/ Although, I’m going to try and finish completely before the end of the month for #1GAM.

Do what you’ve got to do. Rock out that #1GAM Shadow. It’ll be nice to see what you come up with this year.

Flag Post

http://www.fastswf.com/wLUpPSg

Backbone for my game. I’m going to have to set it apart from the actual game “Portal”, because, well, you can’t have anything involving portals as a main element without people instantly thinking “Portal”.

z/x to shoot portals, arrow keys to look around

Flag Post

Well. I finally came up with an idea and the bare bones of a game. I just need to refine gameplay and difficulty, add proper art and menus…

Flag Post

I’m going on a holiday tomorrow, I’ll take my laptop and see what I can do, but the next twenty-four hours will be a massive cram hopefully…

Flag Post

Just wondering, how strict/what does the theme mean exactly? I’m a bit concerned that my game doesn’t really have a theme or make any sense actually, but it does have the correct title.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adamkingdom:

Just wondering, how strict/what does the theme mean exactly? I’m a bit concerned that my game doesn’t really have a theme or make any sense actually, but it does have the correct title.

Do you die if you don’t do the thing that it says to do in the title of the game?

Flag Post
Originally posted by adamkingdom:

That is up to voters. We had a discussion in the Game Design forum about the theme and its implications.

I’m not planning on disqualifying entries as un-related to the theme as I hope the voting thread will take care of that all by itself. However, Elyzius brought up a good point saying that:

The winner of the contest will not necessarily be the one that makes the most clever use of its theme. It will be the entry that offers the most entertaining gameplay. It’s ridiculously easy to come up with a “_____ or die” type of game, and coming up with something really creative may not help you win the contest.

So I hope that people vote more towards the best theme interpretation and gameplay instead of just gameplay as it looks to usually be.

If not, we can all blame Sanchex for “______ or die” and cry that we didn’t do the theme that was going to be until 10 minutes prior to the start: Descend.

Flag Post

If not, we can all blame Sanchex for “______ or die” and cry that we didn’t do the theme that was going to be until 10 minutes prior to the start: Descend.

Oh, even a link to my profile, so you guys can tell me how much you admire my theme suggestion. Thanks UnknownGuardian. :D

But more seriously, the theme is pretty vague, that’s certain. But I think game should still relate to it. The “death” factor should remain central to the game. By example, either you jump in time or you die. Either you make profit or the company die.

Flag Post

Sounds good. I got too caught up in actually complete a game for the first time, so I didn’t consider the theme much at all. So little theme relation will be coming from me. Although the experience from making the game is quite valuable enough. Thank you UnknownGuardian for hosting the GITD contests, it’s such a great initiative. It must take up quite a bit of time to manage all this.

@DrYoshiyahu

Well, if ‘to slime’ means to elaborately maneuver, then I guess it could.

Flag Post

I really want to make a point of entering this time – and for the rest of the year – so I’ve managed to squeeze 3-4 hours into it. I’m away as of tomorrow evening and won’t be back until after the deadline, so it’ll only be a little prototype at best. The idea is a game development sim, like Game Dev Story, and it’s called GiTD or Die. Sums up my attitude :)

So far he will wander around idle or sit at the computer while his programming ability increases. I will submit something though!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aaants:

That is actually a brilliant idea. And not bad pixel art either.

Flag Post

Gonna try and finish something uploadable. Its been a while since i did as3. heres what I have after a few hours. you can paddle the canoe around, though the numbers need tweaking…

Flag Post

Aaants I wanna see more :D

Initially I was going with a Ski or Die game, but halfway through I wasn’t feeling it as being good/fun so I decided to make something under the same mechanics but a bit different so here’s the latest version of my game.

Instructions

• Mouse control
  • Catch the orbs
  • Avoid everything else

Known bugs

• Timer not resetting correctly on retry. Cause unknown >.<
  • Red texture just after the energy build up is completed. Cause unknown >.<

To Do

• Decent looking menu/options, maybe something like Mega man
  • Pause?
  • Add a couple more kill mechanics

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kewry:

here’s the latest version of my game.

Purdy :D

Just had a chance to go through the thread and there’s a lot of cool stuff – also noticed that the GMT end time means I can sneak an extra couple of hours more than I thought I had.

Flag Post

@Kwery: The main problem I have with that game that I can barely tell what’s going on. It’s just not clear enough what my hitbox is, what the enemie’s hitboxes are, what your goal is, when you die etc etc… It needs sound effect that indicate taking hits or collecting orbs.

The purple buttons and the plain white, way too small texts there currently are are ugly and don’t fit to the awesome particle effects you got going on. How did you make them? Same for the mouse cursor, you should replace it with something custom and hide the system cursor.

The game over animation is nice and everything, but gets boring after watching it more than once. Speed it up a lot, otherwise people will quit after two runs or so. If you die early, which is likely when playing the game for the first time, you have to wait through the animation longer than you actually played the game. The game should restart ASAP to keep the players attention.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aaants:

Purdy :D

:D

@Gama11: Thanks for the feedback!
The buttons and overall looks of the game are my next task, while the in-game values will probably not be there as they’re for debugging purposes. Also I forgot that hiding the mouse was a thing, that gives me a couple of ideas for the menus tyvm <3

I’ll see about the ending, probably add the buttons right away.

The hitboxes is actually something I’m struggling a lot to get them right, specially from the cloud looking hazard, I’ll try to get them working nicely even though I haven’t found a decent way yet since I’m using Starling Particles Extension these don’t come with hit areas at all so it’s hard to track where to hit, also scaling is not pretty as it assumes the whole screen as scaled down :P

Flag Post

…I’m finding it really hard to persevere right now because this isn’t a game I’m particularly passionate about…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kewry:

The hitboxes is actually something I’m struggling a lot to get them right, specially from the cloud looking hazard, I’ll try to get them working nicely even though I haven’t found a decent way yet since I’m using Starling Particles Extension these don’t come with hit areas at all so it’s hard to track where to hit, also scaling is not pretty as it assumes the whole screen as scaled down :P

I’ve got a collision Util package with math based collision only. I’ll send it to if that is something that might help.

Flag Post

You would surprised be how difficult it is to find a decent sound for a large, heavy footed creature running towards you..