Yay or Nay: Changes to Programming Forum stickies

26 posts

Flag Post

Not sure if this is a good idea or not. I’m thinking of the following:

Reasoning:

• The API documentation link exists, now, only to link people to the documentation and the API forum. It can exist without a thread of its own if combined in the How to make games thread.
  • The GDR thread exists for the exact same reason. It can be bumped whenever I update which won’t be very often anymore. Sure, it attracts users but that can be done if people link to it for quick help. It can exist in a modified (as described above) How to make Flash Games thread.
  • Proper Forum Code Formatting Guide exists to help new users (who in theory should have read the “READ BEFORE POSTING how to make flash games” thread first). This can also exist in a modified How to make Flash Games thread.
  • One master thread can cover a lot of things. Making a single thread would be a great idea since no one reads the stickies more than once. And they get relatively less attention than normal threads.
  • The master thread needs to be reformatted. It’s not very noob friendly at the moment and text is all over the place.
  • One game a month thread is going to get a lot of attention this year I would think. Keep it permanently at the top might be cool.

*I can delete saybox’s and skyboy’s posts (move their contents to their next post) and that will give 3 posts to make a more organized topic. I’d rather not create yet another How to make Flash games.

Flag Post

EDIT: Yay, but Yay! to Senekis’s idea.

Flag Post

So, essentially, you’re just combining all the info threads into one? All at least making the how to make flash games thread kind of like a hub for information.

Sounds like a good enough idea to me.

Flag Post

Sounds good.

Maybe instead of sticking the one game a month, make a compilation of useful links to jam sites, FGL/distribution portals, GDR, contests archive/current contests info, etc. and sticky that.

Flag Post

Give the winner of the last GiTD a stickied thread that links to their game (until the next contest) in the first post.

I have no idea if this is a good idea or not.

Flag Post

I think the “How to make games” and “How to use the forum” threads should remain separate, because nobody clicks the “how to make games” thread to learn how to post their code here. The API links etc could merge into how to make games, though, along with the GDR link. The current GiTD could be stickied, too.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

Give the winner of the last GiTD a stickied thread that links to their game (until the next contest) in the first post.

<3 this idea!

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

<3 this idea!

Flag Post

I got approval to unsticky the API Documentation, the only thing I was worried about.

Originally posted by Senekis93:

Sounds good.

Maybe instead of sticking the one game a month, make a compilation of useful links to jam sites, FGL/distribution portals, GDR, contests archive/current contests info, etc. and sticky that.

Eh, this might work with saybox’s idea of actually creating 2 threads and doing all the links in the second one while keeping the How to Make Games focused. But something like CompoHub already does this.

Might work, again, with saybox’s idea. First post could be a link to the winner with a nice graphic from their game. Rest of the thread could have cool stuff.

Originally posted by saybox:

I think the “How to make games” and “How to use the forum” threads should remain separate, because nobody clicks the “how to make games” thread to learn how to post their code here. The API links etc could merge into how to make games, though, along with the GDR link. The current GiTD could be stickied, too.

Might be nice. I’m all for stickying threads that will get bumped a lot. I am against too many stickied threads though as well as less used or unused sticky threads. This idea would allow for a lot of flexibility.

Flag Post

Let me know if you need a hand with anything UG. I’m on Kong all the time and I’m more than happy to keep a thread as up-to-date as possible.

Flag Post

If there are not any "nay"s by 5pm tonight (6 hours from this post) I will start removing all of our old memories executing Mission: Take over Programming forum doing these changes.

Flag Post

Yay. :)

Flag Post

unsticking the formatting guide won’t help any – most people asking for help skip the how to make games thread (because they know how), but if they’re going to post code and spot that, they’re going to check it

Flag Post

Maybe. I’m willing to bet that a majority of posters don’t check that before posting. I would think that a lot of new comers glaze over the stickies like they aren’t there. And if I see someone posted code without the formatting I usually fix it up for them.

Flag Post

Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Maybe. I’m willing to bet that a majority of posters don’t check that before posting. I would think that a lot of new comers glaze over the stickies like they aren’t there. And if I see someone posted code without the formatting I usually fix it up for them.

yes, but for those few who have sense enough to read obviously important things relevant to what they’re doing (they exist! they just don’t exist in mass on kong or in the flash development cliques because it’s easy) it is very helpful. hiding it under something that would strike as common sense (rules/conduct/telling you not to be a jackass/etc.) like the proposed “how to use the forum” thread, it’s going to get skipped by everyone; even i’d skip something with a title like that, mostly because of how long i’ve used forums (i still haven’t really read the CoC/ToS)

the thread, as it is now, tells people who read the title that this forum works differently, and bbcode/etc. they’re used to probably won’t work. if they read the title and skip it, then saw the formatting help thing (Phoenix – that honestly should be on the new thread page; which looks like crap, btw) they’d realize that this isn’t what they’re used to and go back to read it

Flag Post

Well I don’t mind leaving that thread up but I think the amount of people that show up without pre tags is going to be the same as if it was taken down, or very close.

I also wouldn’t mind doing a test for like a month to see if its absence makes a lot of un-formatted code show up.

Flag Post

Well I don’t mind leaving that thread up but I think the amount of people that show up without pre tags is going to be the same as if it was taken down, or very close.

I also wouldn’t mind doing a test for like a month to see if its absence makes a lot of un-formatted code show up.

it helps the people who want help, instead of the people that just want us to “give [them] the codes” to make it work

Flag Post

Alright, I left it up. I’ve stickied the GiTD (temporarily), Once game a month (until the end of the year or whenever it loses traction) threads. I’ve asked if I can touch the “Giant Multiplayer contest thread” to rename it so it fits on one line. It would look a lot better. Got it. And finally, I renamed the How to make Flash games thread so it is less in your face, and probably more interesting to read for newcomers.

The massive thread that people suggest for throwing contest links/GiTD winners/GDR links/API links suggested by saybox will wait until there are ideas for the content and layout.
The How To make Games is currently being reformatted and if there isn’t a whole lot of info, as suggested in the OP we can just throw the information in posts on this thread.

Flag Post
Originally posted by skyboy:

yes, but for those few who have sense enough to read obviously important things relevant to what they’re doing (they exist! they just don’t exist in mass on kong or in the flash development cliques because it’s easy) it is very helpful. hiding it under something that would strike as common sense (rules/conduct/telling you not to be a jackass/etc.) like the proposed “how to use the forum” thread, it’s going to get skipped by everyone; even i’d skip something with a title like that, mostly because of how long i’ve used forums (i still haven’t really read the CoC/ToS)

the thread, as it is now, tells people who read the title that this forum works differently, and bbcode/etc. they’re used to probably won’t work. if they read the title and skip it, then saw the formatting help thing (Phoenix – that honestly should be on the new thread page; which looks like crap, btw) they’d realize that this isn’t what they’re used to and go back to read it

What “new thread page that looks like crap”? Sorry, I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

Flag Post

What “new thread page that looks like crap”? Sorry, I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

Probably http://www.kongregate.com/community since http://www.kongregate.com/forums hasn’t changed for eons.

Flag Post

Probably http://www.kongregate.com/community since http://www.kongregate.com/forums hasn’t changed for eons.

He means that pages like http://www.kongregate.com/forums/4-game-programming/topics/new could have some kind of help / guide on them

Flag Post

That might make sense Bob, but I don’t think it’s “new” as we haven’t changed that since probably 2006. UG might be right, but I don’t think it would make sense to add a formatting guide to the community page.

Flag Post

It could be “new” as in “create a new thread”. I can see how Bob got that page.

Flag Post

ye

BUT, the only thing I’m not sure about is removing the [READ BEFORE POSTING] in the How to make Flash games title, that might lead to more nooby topics.

Flag Post

It’d be nice if the first time someone comes to the Game Programming forum, they were redirected to the How To Make Flash Games thread before being able to view any of the others.

Of course, that’s not a practical idea. Just fantasizing.