as3 or as2 or html5?

6 posts

Flag Post

Ok, i know you guys get this a lot but should i learn AS2 or AS3 first? I’ve been following some tutorials and know a bit about AS2, nothing major but i keep on seeing AS3 tuts. When i looked at the forum there were a lot of arguments about whether or not AS2 is the way to go or AS3. What do you think and please leave a detailed explanation as to why. Another thing i noticed is html5, i know nothing about that…

Flag Post

I recommend AS3, as will most people here.

HTML5 can still be tricky with all the browser quirks and lack of tools. It is a useful skill to have but if you are a beginner I would recommend learning AS3 instead, and possibly look at HTML5 later.

Do not give a second thought to AS2. It is a dead language, and learning it will harm you and hold you back as a developer. It is not a matter of opinion, there is no good reason to learn AS2 in this day and age.

Flag Post

ok thanks ill start looking at as3

Flag Post

It’s a little depressing that we’re in 2013 and people are still asking about AS2.

Flag Post

Indeed. AS3 is the way forward for anyone new to Flash right now.

I don’t think HTML5 is mature enough yet to have good training material and stable implementations, so I’d recommend FlashDevelop and AS3.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobJanova:

Indeed. AS3 is the way forward for anyone new to Flash right now.

I don’t think HTML5 is mature enough yet to have good training material and stable implementations, so I’d recommend FlashDevelop and AS3.

This.