GiTD [#28] Voting - Winners Announced!

72 posts

Flag Post

Flag Post

Theme:
______ or Die

Voting Ends:
Thursday 10th January 10pm GMT (5pm EST, 2pm PST)

Voting Rules:
You must vote for a 1st place and a 2nd Place. The 1st place vote will receive 2 points and the 2nd place vote will receive 1 point. The person with the most points will win. Using alts to vote will result in disqualifications. Remember to make it clear who you are voting for. You cannot vote for yourself.

Entrants:
MossyStump – Portal or Die
Aaants – GiTD or Die
EmergencyFlasher – Save or Die
Narinik – Paddle or Die
RTL_Shadow – Conserve or Die
Kewry – Avoid or Die
UnknownGuardian – Mine or Die
Gharrot – Flee or Die
Senekis93 – Die or Die
nadjatee1996 – Fly or Die [by nadjatee1996]
nutter666 – Escape or Die
Sanchex – Shoot or Die
Shake_N_Baker – Save Kitty or Die Trying (Boo. Didn’t follow naming conventions…)
ErlendHL – Fly or Die [by ErlendHL]
alecz127 – Hunt or Die
Moshdef – Jump or Die
Gama11 – Explode or Die
SSDRWH0 – Gamble or Die
feartehstickman – Dodge or Die
AMD_Paulius_J – Lure or Die
adamkingdom – Slime or Die
Darkscanner – Fry or die

Good Luck to everyone.

(And if a game/entry is on Kongregate, rate the game please!)

Prizes:
First: 100 Kreds + a Kong t-shirt
Second: 50 Kreds.
Kreds are only spendable, not credited to your payout account since they no longer have tips

Flag Post

If I missed your entry, I apologize. Please let me know in this thread. Also, please check out all entries before placing votes to keep it fair.

Please be specific when specifying your votes. A lot of entries have very similar names and 2 have the same. (Specify dev with game in that case)

Last but not least, please leave emily_greer and trickyrodent a small thank you note. They contacted me to sponsor GiTD, not the other way around.

Flag Post

It’s a shame I couldn’t finish, but it looks like there was no shortage of entries. Good luck to everyone!

Flag Post

1st: GiTD or Die – I liked the concept. It was fun, however small amount of things there were to do. Please continue to develop this. I suggest customization (house and character) and lots more to do, ofcourse. I left it running accidentally and my SND level is at 43. My game’s snd level is increasing at about 5 levels a second XD

2nd: Explode or Die – Original Concept (afaik) and fun to play. A good combination of those two and difficulty makes for a good game. Good luck!

Flag Post

1st : Lure or Die – The beguinning, with entering your name, story, etc.. takes way too long, but once you get to the game itself, it’s very fun and well made. The game is also focused on the theme.

2nd : Explode or Die – Although I didn’t really see the presence of the theme, since you can’t really die, the game was fun, original and well made.

Flag Post

Good luck, guys, and congratulations for finishing! That alone is a tremendous accomplishment. And also remember to thank UnknownGuardian for all his work organizing. That’s way harder than us putting up prizes. :-)

Flag Post
Originally posted by emily_greer:

Good luck, guys, and congratulations for finishing! That alone is a tremendous accomplishment. And also remember to thank UnknownGuardian for all his work organizing. That’s way harder than us putting up prizes. :-)

Thank you and Tricky for supporting this.

Flag Post

Alright, I finished the game. Some real gems here. I had it down to Avoid or Die, Escape or Die, Jump or Die, Explode or Die, and Slime or Die. These five were the games I most enjoyed.

1) Slime or Die
2) Avoid or Die

Anyway, as I said before I edited the post with my results – I am really impressed with anyone who can create a game. Big kudos all around.

Entrants:
Nothing under the instruction box. Would have liked music. Portal puzzle game = fun.
Aaants – GiTD or Die
Fun but pretty simplistic (the happiness meter does nothing?)
Loved the graphics! Even running I wished the guy would move faster!
Narinik – Paddle or Die
Enjoyable but why do the piranhas look like a bunch of random white hairs? Did they kill Santa?!
Enjoyed the gameplay but I quit after level 4 since I had mastered the gameplay and it didn’t get any harder. At level 2 the groovy music quit :( Maybe loop the music soundtrack?
Kewry – Avoid or Die
I loved the voiceacting! Fun gameplay too.
Took me a second to figure out but once I did I had a couple minutes of fun, but I didn’t see the point in trying to dig deep since the cost was pretty prohibitive. Also, it would be great to sell resources in bulk.
Gharrot – Flee or Die
Enjoyed the music. Didn’t like that I died if I touched the wall (The floor is lava!). Was hit detection off or am I just horrible at this game?
Senekis93 – Die or Die
Interesting game, but lacked substance.
After a couple minutes of playing, I hit birds on purpose to see what would happen…
Scary and enjoyable. Text at the end scrolled too fast for me to read all the ending though…
Sanchex – Shoot or Die
The graphics were cute, but I couldn’t figure out what to shoot or how to die…
Shake_N_Baker – Save Kitty or Die Trying (Boo. Didn’t follow naming conventions…)
Graphics remind me of the old Gameboy and the gameplay is pretty fun. I died trying though :(
I’m sorry. I couldn’t figure out what to do. Circles flying from left to right but I couldn’t figure out any controls to do anything…
alecz127 – Hunt or Die
I liked it; however, a note on the instruction page that the bear isn’t killable would be nice. I stabbed it in the rear about 500 times before realizing it…
Moshdef – Jump or Die
Loved the music and gameplay. A carrot killed me. Oh the humanity.
Gama11 – Explode or Die
Level exploded! I haven’t beat it yet, but please tell me it ends with Toad saying, “I’m sorry. You exploded our princess! She wasn’t in another castle.”
SSDRWH0 – Gamble or Die
Loved the story (although there was a typo in it). Doesn’t seem to follow the rules of blackjack? 6/10
Simple but nice.
Actually, pretty darn fun. I would like spears to be easier to get.
Love the music. I normally don’t like this style of game but it was pretty darn fun.
Darkscanner – Fry or die
It was fine. Got a little repetitive…

Flag Post

@ atari kid

Doesn’t a five card charlie beat a 21 but not a blackjack? Or is a 21 supposed to beat almost everything?

Flag Post

Friends, Family and Fans, welcome to yet another GiTD review by Danny!! We’ve never had this many competitors before!!! Will UnknownGuardian bribe me into voting for him? Will I favor Darkscanner just because we’re currently in a collab?? Will ErlendHL’s game ever load??? FIND OUT NOW!!!!!!:

MossyStump - A nice topdown flash version of portal, nothing in instruction box but that’s ok the first few levels acted as a tutorial. Gameplays: 2/5 Graphics: 0.5/5 Sounds: 0/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 1/10

Aaants - Smart idea, I was thinking of that same title but instead my mine would have you hunting down gitd entrants with a machete. Gameplay: 1/5 Graphics: 3/5 Sounds: 0/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 2/10

EmergencyFlasher - A bit too boring for my tastes. Gameplay: 1.5/5 Graphics: 1.5/5 Sounds: 1.5/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 2/10

Narinik - Horrible art, I’m sorry. Gameplay: 2/5 Graphics: 0.5/5 Sounds: 0.5/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 1/10

RTL_Shadow - Options and Credits don’t work. This is one of the better GiTD entrys. Gameplay: 2.5/5 Graphics: 1/5 Sounds: 3/5 Hardcores: 0.5/5 TOTAL: 3/10

Kewry - Nice to see a GiTD with some voiceacting :) Gameplay: 2/5 Graphics: 2.5/5 Sounds: 3.5/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 4/10

UnknownGuardian - No tutorial, very confusing. Gameplay: 1.5/5 Graphics: 1.5/5 Sounds: 0/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 1/10

Gharrot -Very hardcore, excellent job, unfortunately the graphics let this game down. But it does remind me of The Worlds Hardest Game :) Gameplay: 2/5 Graphics: 0.5/5 Sounds: 2.5/5 Hardcores: 2/5 TOTAL: 3.5/10

Senekis93 - Once again, a title I would have thought of using if I was in this GiTD. Interesting graphics, I’m guessing it’s all done by code. People say that you shouldn’t judge the game based on the creator, but… Gameplay: 2/5 Graphics: 2/5 Sounds: 1/5 Hardcores: -5/5 TOTAL: 0/10

nadjatee1996 - As hardcore as it is to be trying to stop a plane crashing, it would have been a whole lot more hardcore if hitting birds actually had a good effect, and blood splurted everywhere. Gameplay: 1/5 Graphics: 1.5/5 Sounds: 0/5 Hardcores: 0.5/5 TOTAL: 1.5/10

nutter666 - 2spooky. Gameplay: 2/5 Graphics: 3/5 Sounds: 0/5 Hardcores: 0.5/5 TOTAL: 2.5/10

Sanchex - Nothing seemed to be working, if the gun could shoot and you could killed the dog I could have at least given you a 0.5 in hardcores and 1.5 in gameplay… but no… Gameplay: 0/5 Graphics: 4/5 Sounds: 0/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 2/10

Shake_N_Baker - Nice little game, I made it to the dark chamber but I couldn’t figure out what to do next. Gameplay: 1/5 Graphics: 3/5 Sounds: 0/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 2/10

ErlendHL - What…is..this….I think I’m doing something very wrong, I’m not sure if it’s just loading or if I’m doing something wrong. I’m sorry man… it just won’t load, I waited for almost 15 minutes… Gameplay: 0/5 Graphics: 0.5/5 Sounds: 0.5/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 0.5/10

alecz127 - Interesting game. Gameplay: 1/5 Graphics: 0.5/5 Sounds: 0.5/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 1/10

Moshdef - That guy can jump insanely high 0_o Gameplay: 0.5/5 Graphics: 1.5/5 Sounds: 0.5/5 Hardcores: -1.5/5 TOTAL: 0.5/10

Gama11 - Very fun charming game. Gameplay: 2.5/5 Graphics: 2/5 Sounds: 1/5 Hardcores: 1/5 TOTAL: 3.5/10

SSDRWH0 - Very charming game, reminds me of one of my own games ;) Gameplay: 2.5/5 Graphics: 1/5 Sounds: 1.5/5 Hardcores: 3/5 TOTAL: 4/10

feartehstickman- Would have been near perfect if it wasn’t for the shield upgrade that ruined the game (imo of course) Gameplay: 2/5 Graphics: 1/5 Sounds: 0/5 Hardcores: 1/5 TOTAL: 2/10

AMD_Paulius_J - Nice GiTD entry, good story as well :) Gameplay: 3/5 Graphics: 2.5/5 Sounds: 1/5 Hardcores: 0.5/5 TOTAL: 3.5/10

adamkingdom - 2spooky, but nice art Gameplay: 2/5 Graphics: 3/5 Sounds: 3.5/5 Hardcores: 0/5 TOTAL: 4/10

Darkscanner - Lighting people on fire is fun and satisfying, and also it’s very hardcore! Gameplay: 1.5/5 Graphics: 2.5/5 Sounds: 0.5/5 Hardcores: 3.5/5 TOTAL: 4/10

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a tiebreaker. Kewry, Darkscanner, SSDRWH0, Gama11 and adamkingdom have all scored the highest score of 4/10. Unfortunately they can’t all get my votes, one will have to have my 2nd weaker vote and one will not have my vote at all.

To work out the winner, I will re-review the games but only counting on ONE factor, the FUNNIES (how humorous the game was).

Kewry - 0/5
Darkscanner - 1.5/5
SSDRWH0 - 3/5
adamkingdom - 0/5

CONGRATULATIONS TO SSDRWH0 FOR WINNING MY 1ST VOTE!: This is clearly an excellent game so I wish him luck on his next project, he clearly gave it his all and he is an exceptional individual. This is a masterpiece! SSDRWH0 has really struck gold, and I wish him good luck on his next project.

NOT SO MUCH CONGRATULATION TO DARKSCANNER FOR WINNING MY 2ND VOTE!: Gratz, bro.

So there you have it folks! See you next time!

Flag Post

vote goes to:
Explode or die – I voted for this game because of its simplicity and addictiveness. Though it is simple each level presents a new challenge. Great concept. Huge fan.

honorable mention:
Escape of die – love the feel of the game. Really good with involving the player.

Flag Post

Oh wow there are a lot of entries this time. I, like Emily, am impressed. If I ever get a ton of spare time I’ll be sure to play them all and vote. :D

Flag Post

1st Place – Explode or Die by Gama11
2nd Place – Avoid or Die by Kewry

If I were to pick a third place it would be either Hunt or Die or Lure or Die. Lots of the other entries looked like they could be great if they had more content. I would’ve voted for GITD or Die if it had more gameplay, since I could imagine playing it for a long time. Reminded me of Game Dev Story on the iPhone. Save Kitty or Die Trying and Fry or Die are also games I thought could use more content to reach 2nd or 1st place for me.

Flag Post

Ah ha! Someone did notice xD. Couldn’t think of a good name that fit and left it, sorry about that. Anyways here is my vote.

1st: Explode or Die by Gamma11 – I really enjoyed the game which looked good and was intuitive. Some of the level were even rather challenging but I managed to beat them all. Great job!
2nd: Portal or Die by MossyStump – Maybe I just really like portal puzzles but I felt like this game was also really well executed and had some simplistic charm to it. With a bit more content and some polish i’m sure this will be a fantastic game.

Oh and thank you UG emily and tricky for hosting / sponsering this, it was a lot of fun.

Flag Post

I’m proud I was able to enter this time around. A big thank you to UG, Emily, and trickyrodent.
Its a shame I wasn’t able to finish everything, still needs actual levels. I’ll be casting my vote later tonight perhaps!
And another thank you to UG for his thoughtful words earlier which I’ll requote here for emphasis.

“GiTD is not necessarily supposed to get you to the finished product. It is supposed to get you to a finished product, but it doesn’t have to get you to the final one you always pictured. So if you don’t have time for stuff, there will always be time after the competition to tweak it a tad. Remember Farm of Souls? The GiTD entry was good. The polish the dev added in the following month worth of patches made it great.”

Remember, whether you win or not, be encouraged! Not everyone can make a game in ten days and these are some damn fine games. And after the compitetion if you feel you should work on it a bit more, add some more polish, go ahead! I sure will be.

Flag Post

This has been a really tough GiTD to vote in, but after playing them all and considering it for awhile I have to vote for:

#1. MossyStump – Portal or Die
#2. AMD_Paulius_J – Lure or Die

After much deliberation I decided that I had to take a handful of games that I thought were really good and potential winners, and then choose the two that I had the most fun and/or engaged me the most while playing.

MossyStump’s Portal or Die because it’s very unique and has the potential to be a very successful puzzle game, and I found the difficulty was never overly frustrating. I had alot of fun playing this one and once I got used to the portals (only took Level 3 to do that) I enjoyed every level, as from there the game really does make great use of the portal mechanic. You should contact Valve for potential sponsorship! :P

AMD_Paulius_J’s Lure or Die because it is very polished and I simply enjoyed the game from start to finish, dying twice and mostly just really having fun while taking down the castles. I thought luring the cannonballs to give you more spears and power-ups was fantastic, the music and art were great (although a slight delay in the music, not sure what caused that), and I even loved the story, although the end was DELETED FOR SPOILERS. ;)

Save Kitty or Die Trying, Explode or Die, Escape or Die, Conserve or Die, Avoid or Die and GiTD or Die were also all on my shortlist to be #1 or #2. I loved Fry or Die but I wish there was more to it, I know for sure it would have made my shortlist if it had some levels or objectives or anything more than just the fighting mechanic. Mine or Die would have also been on my shortlist if there was a “Sell All” button! The art in some others was amazing but the game just didn’t engage me beyond a few minutes of play, either because it became frustratingly difficult or there was nothing to do. I loved all of these games and it’s like a dagger in my heart having to choose between them, and I even took awhile before writing this final bit before hitting Submit because the decision really is ridiculously hard to make. All of the games listed above deserve my vote for various reasons, but in the end I just chose the ones I had the most fun while playing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by emily_greer:

Hey what about me! I’m gonna have to decide who to vote for amongst all these entries. D:
Just kidding, thank you for organizing this, UG. :) I’m very proud to have a regular of my room have such an impact.

Flag Post

1st place: MD_Paulius_J’s Lure or Die
2nd place: I’m torn between nutter666’s Escape or Die (despite the abominable lag) and alecz127’s Hunt or Die
I’m going to go with alecz127’s Hunt or Die

Am I the only one that still wasn’t sure what they were doing even by level 3 (where you have to use the portal to avoid hitting the wall… only I don’t seem to have control over where the portal goes… I’m guessing I missed some vital piece of information)?
Edit: OK, X makes the outgoing portal and Z makes the entry portal. “Z and X will shoot portals” should have got me there, I guess…

Aaants – GiTD or Die
Got each of my skills up to level 10 before starting making a game… which is never finished? I already do that. ;)

Went in the first door (it was the only one that let me in, and yes, I got close to them before clicking on them), went all the way through to the next door, which wouldn’t open.

Narinik – Paddle or Die
Since distance doesn’t get you anything and there’s no penalty for death, mucking about targeting whatever coins may appear is the best strategy prior to getting all stats to max. Interesting control scheme, though. Oh, also, river image doesn’t overlap properly — sometimes, you can see a white line.

There doesn’t seem to be anything compelling me to actually use the ammo. Then again, I suppose the greatest conservation is not using it at all… I played up to level 4, not trying very hard, only getting a few double-kills… and I had more ammo than when I started. Do they drop less ammo later? Could use a Space Invaders-esque “keep them from landing” thing (if you don’t bring them down, they pass by again, lower, etc), IMO.

Kewry – Avoid or Die
Particle effects looks nice. Would like a bit more warning as to where one of those sparkly things is going to drop out of the ceiling from, particularly since they’re so big.

I hope there’s a shortcut for selling multiple units of something that I just wasn’t aware of (holding down the mouse button didn’t work). Got the shaft down to the dark brown layer before I gave up because of that. Also, why is there a mine cart on the yellow strata if there’s nothing to mine there? (Also, is there death?)

Gharrot – Flee or Die
I think it would be better if the walls didn’t reset the player… Too frustrating for me, but looks like it is done well.

Senekis93 – Die or Die
My red dot disappears now and then. It’s hard enough to keep track of the little bugger without it fading out. Interesting take on the avoider genre.

First “wave” is very slow. Not too bad, but probably a bit too long before it jumps to: wave two, Supersonic Bird Hell. I don’t think the plane moves fast enough to avoid those birds even if I could react in time (especially with the plane being such a huge target).

Lags waaaay too much for me. Player still walks a full second or two after I release the key, and moving the mouse is similarly delayed… which makes exploration frustrating, to say the least. I actually accidentally ended up trapped inside the cage. It was OK, though, because I had a very docile monster companion who didn’t seem to mind my flashlight… (the cage incident happened before your last update, though, so…???)

Sanchex – Shoot or Die
(not playable, I assume) Shooting the dog (the only thing that appeared for me to shoot) didn’t seem to do anything, nor did he seem to do anything to me. Looks nice, though.

Shake_N_Baker – Save Kitty or Die Trying
Looks like it might be fun, when there’s a lot more to do…

(not playable) Nice trailing effect. I imagine this will be an avoider game when it is done, yes?

alecz127 – Hunt or Die
The past tense of “cast” is… “cast”.
Anyway, looks nice. Seems to reset randomly now, though (the animals)… Also, it’s a bit difficult to tell if I’m done skinning the animals since they fade — so one that’s almost skinned looks identical to one that’s completely skinned (i.e., I can’t see it). Bear should get more aggressive the longer it goes without eating, I think. I had assumed the bear would eat me if I encountered its maw, but it didn’t seem to want me. :( Maybe it’s my “Bear-B-Gone” cologne?

Moshdef – Jump or Die
Looks like it might be entertaining enough to play through (even if a bit repetitive), but I get plagued with random key stickies and unresponsiveness (this is a joint issue between IE’s “protected mode” and some peculiarity of certain Flash programming practices, I believe — there are many far more intensive Flash games that don’t have that issue. I could turn off protected mode, but…). Someone else here had mentioned that you should add some platforms to jump on, and I concur. Or maybe trampolines.

Gama11 – Explode or Die
Played through the first 8 levels before you changed them. Played through a few (I don’t recall how many) after. I think I quit on the level with all the crates lining the steps up to the fire. Nicely done, though I hated that crate level.

SSDRWH0 – Gamble or Die
There are several errors in your opening dialogue, which I won’t list here (you can PM me if you care to fix them). Not exactly excited about Blackjack, but I played through to the end (the good end).

I’m not certain, but the blocking doesn’t always seem to work…? It would be nice if there was some visual indicator of the blocking act. In normal mode, purchasing the blocking upgrade doesn’t work.

Very polished, and plays well. Guy throws waaay too fast, though; he’s like the machine gun of spears. A bit too easy, I think. I had over 200 spears by level 5. Should have more archers toward the end, and maybe some footsoldiers to come after you.

Down with corners!
Level difficulty isn’t anywhere near linear (it bounces around quite a bit after the first several super-easy levels), but I didn’t have too much of a gripe with that (sometimes a break is nice). Could do something about those damned corners, though…

Darkscanner – Fry or die
Too short, but looks nice. Needs cursor key support. Oh, also: death.

For those who may be curious (all zero of you), I obviously did not get mine done in time. I had switched ideas late in the week after realizing that I had gone about my original idea all wrong and would have to re-work it or drop some things I didn’t want to excise. Unlike last time, though, I opted for sleep over limboing under the deadline… Anyway, I should have two new games out shortly (how short shortly is depends on whether I decide to work on the PlayerIO project first).

Congratulations to everyone who entered the GiTD, and thanks to UnknownGuardian for organizing it, and to emily_greer and trickyrodent for sponsoring it.

Flag Post

I just want to thank and congratulate hok0003 for being the first (and only!) person to beat my game other than me! I’m glad you stuck with it to the end.

Also, thanks for that detailed feedback on everybody’s games Dragon! Taking the time to do that is really appreciated, and hopefully you’ll get a game into the next GiTD.

Flag Post

MossyStump – Portal or Die – Very good idea! Played through all levels, it was interesting on how you have to plan your actions ahead. One thing though, when a stage name and a short tutorial is displayed and after hitting a space key, it should just remove instructions but game shouldn’t start because 1/4 of screen was covered and if a level is complex player will need time to make a plan. But once you die and respawn it’s ok.

Aaants – GiTD or Die – A very original game, it would be awesome if it was possible for player to interact with making a game, example: choosing graphics, sounds. I see that it is alpha version but a “cancel current action” button would be welcome:)

EmergencyFlasher – Save or Die – I think it would be much better to make a space key trigger the object, because it wasn’t very comfortable to hold shift down + move around with left arm and use mouse with right hand. This game still needs additional features, some hints when solving a puzzle.

Narinik – Paddle or Die – Nice game! I liked it, in the beginning I didn’t understand that I have to swim here like a fish (by shaking to the sides), but on the second try I got it. Ah.. and a sounds of water streaming, reminded me of spring, when the snow is melting in the fields, icicles are growing and air is as fresh as in the morning after the rain.

RTL_Shadow – Conserve or Die – This game is simple but cool, I liked the idea that killing enemy gives you some bullets and even if you have 1 bullet left, you still stand a chance. A several different weapons would be good too, also this game really needs sounds, when a cube is exploding i have a perfect sound in my head, but oh well.. human language is not good for explaining sounds, this game has some very good breaking sounds.

Kewry – Avoid or Die – This one is one of my favourite, it’s relaxing, somehow reminds me of pocket tanks. Very well done!

UnknownGuardian – Mine or Die – It was a little confusing on the beginning, because there is no tutorial, but once i understood everything this game became very interesting! I liked how each tile has different amount of resources. But I don’t see much death here:) maybe you should have made that you must hire some workers and must pay them, and if you have 0 gold they would kill you, I also wanted for ability to sell all goods at once. All in all this game has a big potential!

Gharrot – Flee or Die – I’m not a fan of this game genre, but it is well made. One suggestion, – you should make a collision against walls, death only if you hit an obstacle. Somehow a thought came in while playing this that it might be a “scare maze” type, but it wasn’t so thank you:)

Senekis93 – Die or Die – I was amazed on all those effects and on your programming skill, the gravitation of that little moon was completely perfect. Yet it is a difficult game, and you shouldn’t mute by default.

nadjatee1996 – Fly or Die [by nadjatee1996] – So true, planes should avoid birds, i saw some pictures on what can 1 bird do to engine, and it’s sad for the bird. You have to integrate more features in this game.

nutter666 – Escape or Die – Very well done! Monsters running away and hiding somewhere is original, some horror games could use that, it’s much more scary when you see a monster and then it hides, you know that it’s there but don’t know where, very effective. This game suits theme the most of all.

Sanchex – Shoot or Die – A professionally created game. But i couldn’t bake that dog:( even if i tried hard he seemed immortal. I also think that you should make cats shoot bullets instead of a laser.

Shake_N_Baker – Save Kitty or Die Trying – That looks very similar to all those retro rpg games, well done.

ErlendHL – Fly or Die [by ErlendHL] – Looking good, but is that all? I couldn’t start playing.

alecz127 – Hunt or Die – Very very unique game! congratulations. I liked this new feature of skinning the animal, but I think it was better when deers had only 1 health point.

Moshdef – Jump or Die – Pretty good, it’s simple but addictive. It was funny on how in the beginning it’s only vegetables and then crowd realizes that they can’t kill you like that so they start throwing a ninja stars and daggers:)

Gama11 – Explode or Die – Yup, I already told that this game is brilliant, I can’t even find anything it lacks. Well maybe one thing when falling down into a deep pit it would be nice to somehow decrease speed it’s hard to go through it, I must reset many times, I think super meat boy had it (when falling down and touching a wall it decreased speed if i’m correct).

SSDRWH0 – Gamble or Die – Nice humour! Too bad i’m a noob at card games, so can’t really say much.

feartehstickman – Dodge or Die – That was a difficult game, i think double jump would help so much in this game (Like in Moshdef’s game it saved me so many times).

adamkingdom – Slime or Die – This was one of my favourite games! Cool music, you don’t even need ambient sounds, it already creates atmosphere. 6th level was more difficult than any other, I liked how you can lure in enemy into a dead end like in 10th level. Very good i genuinely enjoyed this game!

Darkscanner – Fry or die – I like that you inserted some knights! Maybe the main character should jump a little higher, but all in all it’s a well polished game.

I think Aesica’s entry was skipped, wasn’t it?

Looks like that’s all.

//////VOTING////////

1st place: adamkingdom – Slime or Die //Although I like darker, heaver games but this one entertained me most of all.
2nd place: Gama11 – Explode or Die

There were several more games that i really wanted to give 2nd place, but I had to choose, not choosing is not an option:)

Flag Post

There we go, finally created my detailed essay on who I chose and why I did.

1. Shake_N_Baker – Save kitty or die trying
I really, really think you should finish this and sponsor it or something. LOVE the style

2. Gama11 – Explode or Die
Really hard choice between you and Shake_N_Baker, but I guess for the nostalgic feeling of Link to the past and any Gameboy Game, I choose Shaker_N_Baker’s. I really think you should finish yours off and sponsor it too though

Flag Post

//////VOTING////////

1st place: Kewry – Avoird or Die
2nd place: UG – Mine or Die

Flag Post

1st Place: Explode or Die
2nd Place: Lure or Die

Flag Post

Wow, lots of entries! Glad I was able to participate this time for the first time, though I’ve participated in the voting process before. Tons of great games were created, took me quite some time go through all of them and write this monster-post with 13947 characters! :D I’m sorry if my feedback sounds harsh or anything, just been writing down my thoughts while playing the games.

Instructions not there yet?
I have to say that I really liked the concept, but I just couldn’t get used to the controls, which were pretty awful in my opinion. I just couldn’t get portals to spawn where I wanted them to. That, plus the fact that Y isn’t supported as an alternative of Z for QWERTY-keyboards made it pretty unplayable for me. A retry button or key would’ve been nice for whenever you mess up, also, upon death, the instruction text should appear again as you need to press space anyway. The player might have missed something crucial there which is the reason why he fails over and over.
All in all, mouse controls would’ve worked much better. They might make the first few levels trivial (I didn’t come that far, 1-4 I think) – but the difficulty shouldn’t be caused by bad controls.
No sfx / music yet, very simple graphics.

Aaants – GiTD or Die

Very comical, cool concept! :D At first I thought the “Click to make a new game” button was supossed to be the start game button.
I liked the graphics and the GUI. Music or sfx would’ve been a plus.
The gameplay is a bit too linear and boring yet, but it has potential. You can basically only work on graphics, code or sound, everything else is not possible yet or makes no sense. That’s why its more of an idle-game at this moment and it’s the type of game where players would request to put a speed x2, x3 etc button in.

The intro would be awesome with voice acting and / or music.
Hit escape, which paused the game – there didn’t seem to be any way to reload the page though, so I had to hit F5. :/
I liked the music, sound effects would’ve been a plus. Graphics were ok.
I like the concept of the game. Execution, especially control-wise, wasn’t that good / fun though. Why would you have a sprint button if walking normally is so incredibly slow that you’re going to end up pressing it all the time anyway? Also, why would you allow arrow keys and WASD if you’re forcing the player to pick up the mouse for some tasks like opening doors? That makes no sense, arrow keys and mouse don’t work together. Having mouse controls was not neccessary.
Also seemed rather glitchy and buggy overall. Got a whitescreen after every level, couldn’t figure out at all what to do in one of the minigames (there was someone I had to free and a lot of tape), no input would do anything, but the game deicided to let me finish the level after spam-clicking a bit. Didn’t finish the game because I couldn’t make one of the jumps in the last level.

Narinik – Paddle or Die

First thought: No reason not to allow arrow keys.
Upgrades are nice, but not if the font telling you how much coins you have left is nearly invisible because of the blue background. Also, they game depends on upgrades way too much and they are too expensive considering how few money you earn per run at the start.
Graphics weren’t really good, the river sound loop got repetitive quickly. Sound effects are missing.

Familiar concept (Boomstick), but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad one.
Seems like you managed to add quite a bit of polish to this since I last played it. Didn’t immediately realize you actually have to shoot the two boxes on the tutorial screen, they seemed to be more of a demonstration.
Music was fitting, but didn’t loop unfortunately which made the game a lot less fun after it had finished. Sound effects, especially for shooting, would’ve been nice. Graphics are simplistic.
I would’ve liked there to be some time factor involved. Currently, you’re spending a lot of time just waiting for “the perfect shot”, while it’d get a lot more exciting if time wasn’t unlimited and you can’t just wait for the perfect opportunity, so there’s some pressure on you.

Kewry – Avoid or Die

Love the voice acting in story mode. Music is fitting and graphics are pretty good.
Dying in story mode is really annoying because you have to start all over, no fun. The voice acting gets really boring after hearing it a few times. There should be checkpoints or something.
Didn’t like the enemies coming from above or below at all, most of the time, there’s no way to react quickly enough because the game’s height is pretty small. That combined with a rather unclear hit detection (though it got better since I last played it) made it frustrating.
A score counter in endless mode .. would be nice, but I feel it would kinda ruin the relaxing atmosphere. Maybe there should be something that lets you know how well you’re doing without telling you exact numbers, like a bar.

Has a lot of potential. It lacks music, sfx and good graphics, but you know that already.
It seems to easy to mess up at the start if you don’t know what you’re doing (just building shafts until you run out of money), I think you should already start with at least one drift.
Other than that, it’s pretty slow-paced and thus boring at this point, a speed x2, x3 button would be nice. Badly needs a sell all button in the market. At the moment, holding your materials doesn’t make any sense, so the market is unneccessary. There might be features like pending planned prices though.
Didn’t really see the theme here. What if you don’t mine? Is there any way to die?

Gharrot – Flee or Die

Very similar to “The World’s hardest game”. I really like challenging games, but this one just wasn’t fun and overly frustrating. Hit detection seemed unforgiving and it was a bad design choice not to be able to touch walls.
It got a little bit better once the timer started, almost didn’t play that far, but not much.
Also, what’s with the title? There doesn’t seem to be any story explaining what you’re fleeing from.

Senekis93 – Die or Die

You don’t leave much of a choice, do you? :D
Gameplay is pretty much your standard avoider game with some intersting physics but crappy controls. And the title proved to be somewhat true, you’ll die rather quickly.
No sfx, music. Graphics weren’t all that interesting, just black and white except for the dot you’re controlling.

nadjatee1996 – Fly or Die

It rhymes! Though, the title wasn’t really appropriate when I look at the story. More like “Land or Die”.
Music and sfx would’ve been nice. Liked the graphics, gameplay, on the other hand, was pretty boring. I assume it just goes on forever, and there’s no way to land? How sad. :(
You should hide the mouse cursor and replace it with a dot or something.

Really atmospheric game, though it’d have been much better with a bigger resolution and some more sound effects.. “Creepy silence” is good, but this was just “silence”. There should be random, weird sound effects every so often.
There should be more that distuinigishes different areas to make sure you don’t get lost, for example different wall colors, not just black. I got lost neat a textfield saying “This is not real” or something along those lines.
I was sad to find out that you didn’t change the control sheme. I still think it doesn’t work very well, you should either make it mouse-based (move-to-mouse) or standard WASD / arrow key.
I’d also like to see my battery idea implemented, where you have a bar that indicates how much battery life there’s left and if your light turns off monsters will get you, so you’re always under the pressure to find batteries that are scattered around. The “..or Die” aspect of the title wasn’t really there, at least I don’t think there’s a way to die in this version, I even walked straight into some monsters and nothing happened.

Sanchex – Shoot or Die

Wow, amazing graphics! There’s not much else though, you can move around, but apparently not kill the dog. Has lots of potential though and looks really promising! :)

Shake_N_Baker – Save Kitty or Die Trying

Reminded me of “Robot wants Kitty”. Just because of the title though.
Cool artstyle, might be great with more content and polish. No music or sfx yet.
Keep in mind there are people with QWERTZ-keyboards whenever using the Z key in a game!
I eventually got stuck in a circular, empty room. Not sure if that’s the “or Die Trying”-part, but if so, there needs to be some way of retrying.

ErlendHL – Fly or Die

Surprising how “fly” is the only verb that was chosen twice considering the theme of this GitTD / the naming restricitons.
Not sure if this is actually supossed to be playable, at least I can’t seem to control anything, there are just a few circles with random size, color and velocity that move to the left. Might have been a good idea not to leave the “description”-field empty. There are even sfx! :D

alecz127 – Hunt or Die

The intro story was a little too long for my taste, but the story was nice. Should consider increasing the text size a bit to increase readability. Could be great with voice acting! But in general, try to keep intros like this as short as possible, most ppl just want to get to the actual game.
Music was pretty fitting, same for the grapics, they’re pretty unique. Sound effects are needed though, especially to indicate what’s going on (taking hits etc as there’s no health bar)
Gameplay was fun at first but quickly got boring. There needs to be more variety. After you’ve killed all the animals, the only thing that seems to happen is that they respawn, it doesn’t get more challenging.
Was also noticing some weird lag spikes when holding down “E”.

Moshdef – Jump or Die

Like I already said before, fun and challenging gameplay here! Couldn’t be bothered to play much further than the second checkpoint in story mode though. Still, nice change that there’s now a checkpoint after every 5 levels.
Too bad you didn’t implement an option to control downwards velocity (down key) like you said. Really would’ve enhanced the gameplay, but I guess it’d destroyed the balance of story mode a bit.

SSDRWH0 – Gamble or Die

Pretty much your average blackjack-game, except it has a rather comical story. Liked the music as well.
Winning / dying is based on luck too much in my opinion, but it’s blackjack after all.

Just an avoider game that has a weird background and isn’t really fun. Is intended that the score doesn’t reset after you die? That totally defeats the point of a highscore-based game. Also, the player is forced to pick up his mouse on the game over screen, which is not a good idea as this game is entirely keyboard-based.
Controls didn’t feel good. X velocity when moving left / right was way too low and didn’t really allow to dodge effectively.
No music / sfx.

Pretty good! Love the amount of polish, graphics, music and sfx were great.
Music didn’t seem to play after the first level though.
I love the innovative concept. However, those bushes have way too much HP and there’s no indication of how much is left. They don’t always drop spears either, and since you start with so few, it becomes boring pretty soon. Spears randomnly appearing could be good. You’d have to collect them within a certain time frame though.
I don’t like the way sprint is implemented. It made me sprint accidentally all the time, which actually decreased the level of control I had. Also, it’s more like dashing. I’d suggest putting it on the shift key or somewhere else at least.
Not sure about the fact that you need to be facing the direction you’re throwing – that made me lose quite a few spears, which is frustrating since they’re valuable. Could as well always throw them upwards.

“Slime or Die” didn’t really seem like a appropriate name, but “Lure or Die” was already taken I guess. Anyway, really really liked this one! Great concept and great execution, there’s quite a bit of content, too. :) I actually finished the game, though the last level took me a few tries. Had a lot of fun.
Hit detection was a little too unforgiving in my opinion. Might as well decrease the size of those hitboxes a bit. The level complete sound effect didn’t really seem to fit, while the music created a great atmosphere that really fits to the game.
This game has lots of pontential… It needs a little more variety at this point, there’s only one enemy type (or 2, but you just increased the scale of the image). There are be all sorts of things you can do, for example add ghost enemies that can fly over tiles.
A level selection screen wouldn’t hurt. Would also be cool to be able to see the enemies field of view, probably best indicated by a half-transparent circle.

Darkscanner – Fry or die

Urm.. You collect orbs and run away from people. Is there anything else you can do here? :/ Dying doesn’t seem to be one of the things you can do (yet).
Possibly interesting, also nice artstyle, but incompolete.

Yeah, this wasn’t exactly an easy choice – but here’s what it comes down to:

1 – Slime or Die by adamkingdom

2 – Lure or Die by AMD_Paulius_J