GiTD [#28] Voting - Winners Announced! page 2

72 posts

Flag Post
and you shouldn’t mute by default.

How so? It’s horrible to be listening to your music and suddenly get interrupted by a game’s music. :o

Writing reviews/feedback. Will vote in some hours.

It’s nice that many are taking the time to give some feedback, even when there are so many entries for this one.

Flag Post

I knew i shouldn’t have started 6 days in :( had some nice 3d renders planned out for the gfx.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Narinik:

I knew i shouldn’t have started 6 days in :( had some nice 3d renders planned out for the gfx.

Well… No real reason not to continue the development of the game then? :)

Flag Post

Portal: Reminiscent of the original portal game, down to the portal colors. Simple, and some fun. No death included.

GiTD: Not much of a game, but what is done is done well. No death.

Save: The graphics are really good, the controls are really bad. Didn’t find any dying, but I could not bring myself to play much of it.

Paddle: A full game, complete with upgrades and everything. Well, almost everything, since there’s no death in this one either, just a bunch of grey threads that pass over you.

Conserve: It’s Boomstick, except there’s no way to get killed, and even not conserving doesn’t lead to dying. Only to losing the game.

Avoid: Very pretty, and very hard to see what might be going on. I guess when the player controls a white blob and the goal is to catch blue and green blobs while avoiding red blobs you have some leeway in defining what constitutes ‘death’. Still, no particular visual effect associate with losing and the voice still talks so I’m counting it as a ‘no death’ game.

Mine: It’s a mining game, and fairly complete at that. It seems low in mining accidents, though, so I’m not sure where the ‘death’ part comes into play.

Flee: I’m confused. This game seems to be about neither fleeing nor dying, but rather about moving a square through a level so that it does not collide with any black shape. In case of a collision the penalty is teleportation back to the start which is, in more ways than one, a fate worse than death.

or: So much promise form this one. In particular, the promise of death. Alas, all GiTD participants must be firm believers in reincarnation, because this game does not contain any death at all either. It’s pretty though, and the motion of the dot is an interesting choice for an avoider.

Fly: Finally, this game breaks the trend: It has death! Fiery death in the form of a plane wreckage to mark the failure of fulfilling the primary objective. Otherwise it’s just a very basic avoider, but just for having death in it this game just made my short list. Note: I waited until the score reached 100 to see if if there was any chance the game was actually winnable, but it doesn’t appear it is. The plane finally crashed on its own after 187 seconds, yielding -74 survivors. So I guess some people had enough time to die twice, or something.

Escape: Might contain death. Certainly promises a lot of it, what with the blood and the fuzzy ghosts and all that. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a ghost that was kind enough to kill me, and in the ‘wake up’ room the game started lagging something fierce and became totally unplayable. I am NOT counting that as death. So, another no death game, and the biggest letdown so far. Don’t promise if you won’t deliver, you tease!

Shoot: OMG! It has cute kittens! And lasers! Cute kittens shooting lasers! …and, not much else. Certainly no death. Next.

Save Kitty: Another kitty game and this time I’m not afraid the cute kitten might die. Apparently circles can die, but not protagonists. It looks fairly elaborate, but by now I’ve lowered the bar to: Does it take ‘or die’ seriously? And sadly, this game doesn’t.

Fly: If this is a game I missed the point completely. And the goal. And, needless to say, the death.

Hunt: Well, this game certainly has its share of bloody death, but the deers or elks or whatever they are are doing all of it! When the time comes to die, hunters turn into a flag and a puff of smoke. That’s not dying, that’s metamorphosis. I’m going to give you partial credit for at least representing death in some minimal fashion, because otherwise I won’t have enough games to actually choose two to vote for!

Jump: No death animation, but a gruesome death screen. Another one for the short list. Oh and the game is a hybrid avoider/platformer.

Explode: Explode, certainly; or die, not so much. Too bad, it’s one of the most entertaining games in this crop. It just has nothing to do with the theme.

Gamble: No dying, just blackjack. I’ve read the intro, and I realize that the end game screen might have been intended to represent death and not a pool table after an air strike, but still. No death, no cookie.

Dodge: Cute graphics, and almost unplayable. I guess it might get easier after an upgrade or ten. I don’t suppose there’s also a death sequence, death screen, or anything paying more than lip service to the ‘or die’ part of the theme among the unlockables?

Lure: The character falls down when he dies! It should give you an idea of how low I’ve set the bar that I’m counting that as a win, in spite of the fact that the game immediately restarts at the beginning of the stage, so that ‘or die’ isn’t really an option here.

Slime: Dying leaves a slime puddle, so there’s that. The game is fun enough that I actually completed it, so there’s that too. On the other hand, I was very disappointed to not have slimed anything in the course of the game. Still, short list.

Fry: Cute graphics, but completely devoid of: Frying, dying, instructions.

Overall, only 5 (five!) out of 22 entries, a whopping 22.7%, did more than simply pay lip service to the ‘or die’ part of the theme. Of these, none did more than acknowledge the existence of death.

My votes go to:

1) Slime by adamkingdom for actually being fun to play.
2) Lure by AMD_Paulius_J for originality.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

Escape: Might contain death. Certainly promises a lot of it, what with the blood and the fuzzy ghosts and all that. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a ghost that was kind enough to kill me, and in the “wake up” room the game started lagging something fierce and became totally unplayable. I am NOT counting that as death. So, another no death game, and the biggest letdown so far. Don’t promise if you won’t deliver, you tease!

Hunt: Well, this game certainly has its share of bloody death, but the deers or elks or whatever they are are doing all of it! When the time comes to die, hunters turn into a flag and a puff of smoke. That’s not dying, that’s metamorphosis. I’m going to give you partial credit for at least representing death in some minimal fashion, because otherwise I won’t have enough games to actually choose two to vote for!

Jump: No death animation, but a gruesome death screen. Another one for the short list. Oh and the game is a hybrid avoider/platformer.

Gamble: No dying, just blackjack. I’ve read the intro, and I realize that the end game screen might have been intended to represent death and not a pool table after an air strike, but still. No death, no cookie.

Slime: Dying leaves a slime puddle, so there’s that. The game is fun enough that I actually completed it, so there’s that too. On the other hand, I was very disappointed to not have slimed anything in the course of the game. Still, short list.

Fry: Cute graphics, but completely devoid of: Frying, dying, instructions.

Overall, only 5 (five!) out of 22 entries, a whopping 22.7%, did more than simply pay lip service to the ‘or die’ part of the theme. Of these, none did more than acknowledge the existence of death.

If you’ll allow me to be picky about your pickiness:

Escape – turn the light off or let the battery die. You won’t see the death, because it’s dark, but should that disqualify it? It does lag horribly, though…
Hunt – A drawing’s death could be just as depicted, no? In any event, a stylized death doesn’t count as death? Because…?
Jump – Why is animating death important?
Gamble – Again, badly drawn and not animated != “no death” (to me, anyway)
Slime – If “reincarnating” doesn’t count as death (I normally wouldn’t count it, either, but these are just games, that the player would just then restart anyway — if the programmer is lucky… and anyway, how does one reincarnate if not by first dying?), I don’t know why this one gets off. Just because it leaves a corpsey puddle? You’re still reincarnating, no?
Fry – It does have frying in it. No [player] dying, though.

Flag Post

Escape: I didn’t know one could turn the light off. Does it serve a purpose in the game? Besides fulfilling the ‘or die’ requirement of the contest, I mean.

Hunt: I counted it.

Jump: It’s not, I counted it. But it would have been nice to have an in-game depiction of death. Not for my morbid satisfaction, but because the theme was ‘or die’!

Gamble: I can’t figure out what the picture is supposed to represent. Based on context, I infer it must be the blown up protagonist, but I don’t see it. And if I don’t see it, I can’t count it.

Slime: It gets off because I’m grasping at straws and that any acknowledgment of death as real I counted.

Fry: I didn’t find it, and I tried every key and the mouse button.

Frankly, I can’t blame the entrants for not putting the theme at the center of their game; it was a very poor theme. That said, a lot of the entries have nothing to do with the theme at all, and it’s not the first time. From now on, that will be my first criterion for voting in GiTDs: Does it match the theme? If the answer is no, then I won’t vote for it, no matter how good.

Flag Post

I think new year will have played a big part in a lot of them not being finished. It also makes it really difficult to pick 2 out, as there’s plenty I’d love to play full versions of, but put a gun to my head and I’d pick:

1st: AMD_Paulius_J – Lure or Die
2nd: adamkingdom – Slime or Die

Random other comments (no offense if I miss you out, but I’ve got about 2 minutes and I’m out the door)
Gama11 – just pipped to 3rd
RTLShadow – A badass R2D2 gunning things down to a Dragonforce remix – what’s not to like? :)
Moshdef – I’m never having my 5-a-day again
Sanchex – you did those graphics/animations in 10 days?! Would easily have been my winner if it was finished.
UG – really looks like the type of game I’d like (loved Motherload and MegaDrill) but I couldn’t really get going

Yes mine sucked – I’ll be nipping at your heels next time though :)

Flag Post

Since we have a theme discussion thread in Game Design, we should probably reserve that for ‘how to vote’ (i.e. ‘I vote based on themes’ or ‘I vote on the best finished product’ and the relevant responses to that) discussions.

Flag Post
Urm.. You collect orbs and run away from people. Is there anything else you can do here? :/ Dying doesn’t seem to be one of the things you can do (yet).
Possibly interesting, also nice artstyle, but incompolete.

If you stick around for a couple minutes a boss/witch will come in, but otherwise you pretty much summed it up.

Fry: I didn’t find it, and I tried every key and the mouse button.

Yeah, sorry about that. I would have included instructions, but I sort of rand out of time. WASD to move, and repeatedly click people inside the circle around you to light them on fire.

Flag Post

Sorry, UnknownGuardian.

response to Ace_Blue moved to this thread

Flag Post

Portal or Die:
Nice concept, although there are just a couple of levels and they’re too easy, but if you add more and maybe a couple more gameplay elements, it could turn into something nice.
The only advice I can give is to set the focusRect=false to remove the ugly yellow border.

GiTD or Die:
Looks really nice, but I never understood what I had to do; I started gaining levels in programming, graphics and audio, but was never able to use the other options.
I loved the design, although I must say it bored me a bit, but of course, that has more to do with semi idle games in general than with this one in particular.
Interesting concept nevertheless. Let u know if you ever finish it to give it another try.

Save or Die:
I enjoyed the music, not so much the controls; the WASD+SHIFT+Mouse setup is rather annoying; I’d suggest adding an extra run key for WASD users and not using the mouse at all.
I added the code you gave, but nothing happened and couldn’t move past that part.

Paddle or Die:
OMG, the volume is certainly high! The mute key is appreciated, although you forgot to mention it on the description.
I enjoyed the rather annoying controls, but sadly, the game itself was kinda boring, as it seemed to be the same all the time, so it was just a matter of playing, upgrading and repeating ad infinitum.
You need to add more gameplay elements; maybe set a distance goal and make more levels where you present different challenges to the player.

Conserve or Die:
Nice concept. To further get into the conserving theme, why not allow the player to reduce or icreade the ammount of bullets used on each shot?
Your music isn’t looping, so once the track is over, you have to mute and then unmute in order to make it play again.
I enjoyed the gameplay for a while, but it gor boring pretty quickly, even with the addition of a new enemy at level 5. The requirements to reach a new level were too high and dropped at level 7.
Some sort of powerups or maybe simple score bonus for kill streaks without missing or other kind of events could help, or maybe icreasing the score given by new enemy tipes.
Nice concept.

Avoid or Die:
Nice music and great graphical effects.
Looks good so far. To improve it, I’d chance the sliders for the options; it took me a while to figure out how to change those settings.
Also, when pausing, instead of moving the circle, you should pause that and then make the player move the mouse back to it in order to unpause; if you missclick and pause when there’s an enemy under the resume button, you’re pretty much dead.
Solid game so far, although a bit buggy (I managed to get to a point where there were no more enemies and it was impossible to pause). Can get somewhere with some work.

Mine or Die:
I loved the concept and feel it has a ton of potential.
Besides the suggested minimap, I feel it totally needs a way to sell more than 100 units of a given resource at a time; maybe ctrl+click to sell 1,000 and shift+click for 10,000.
I was earning stone faster than I could sell it, and buying extra levels was really annoying because of that; level 4 or 5 costed over 200,000; that’s over 500 clicks on the stone thing.
That said, looks great so far and I’m looking forward to play it when you finish it.

Flee or Die:
“In three levels, a timer will appear.” Great. Now if I could only get past this level…
The game requires precision, but the controls don’t offer you that.
I couldn’t even start the real levels, so I can’t offer much feedback other than the music was really nice, although its volume was a bit low.

Fly or Die (n):
Nice graphics, but lacks gameplay.
Holding down the left mouse button and moving it out of the screen makes you invincible, as the plane can’t be damaged.

Escape or Die:
Really nice graphics and atmosphere.
I liked the concept, but there’s not much gameplay. Also, I wasn’t able to read the ending text because it vanished really fast.
I know this isn’t meant to be an action game or a shooter, but it definitely needs some sort of gameplay in order to improve it.
There’s a badged game around, where you go into some sort of cave and the lights go out… take a look at it; you already created a creepy atmosphere, which is a huge accomplishment.
You have a lot of potential with this and I’d love if you continued working on this project.

Shoot or Die:
Not much to say at this point. Looks like it has marketing potential.

Save Kitty or Die:
“Use your sword to kill stuff.”
Looks nice; detailed and well done.
There’s not much to say, since it’s unfinished/pretty short, but just as with nutter’s game I’d suggest going on with this; you already have a solid engine, so it’d be a matter of using that to build a bigger game.

Fly or Die (E):
Nothing to say.

Hunt or Die:
It has a history, instructions, music which really fits the game and lovely graphics. Good job, sir. Solid GiTD here.
To improve it, I’d add new gameplay elements on each level, so it doesn’t feel like you’re just doing the same thing over and over again. Maybe changing the E key for some other, so you can keep pressing W at the same time would be better.
Also, while it includes a way to toogle the music, it doesn’t work until you get past the intro/history and some people may skip it just to be able to keep listening to their music.
Great job.

Jump or Die:
I laughed at the death graphic.
The fact that the spawning and speed seems to be totally random makes winning a matter of luck, instead os skill.
For that same reason I wasn’t able to play the whole game. So yeah, look int that; make sure that it’s always possible to evade all the objects in a given level.

Explode or Die:
I never found a way to mute the sound, which was pretty annoying.
That said, it’s a solid and fun game. Some levels are quite challenging and that’s good.
Good controls, nice graphics, many levels. Nice job.
One thing is that at level 5 (?) there’s some tutorial-like text telling you to destroy the castle, when you’ve already done that four times before. Kind of unnecessary.
More levels, a level editor and you have a great game there. Don’t forget the mute button!

Gamble or Die:
A nice little intro, plues I appreciate the fact that you actually explained the rules of the game and some terms related to it; most card games jus tassume that everyone knows how to play.
That said, there’s little I can suggest you to improve besides the multimedia, since you can’t change the rules of the game.
Maybe improving the GUI and making it so you don’t have to click extra thing, like the restart button, which should be done automatically (it’s not like you’re just going to sit there and wait until you die d:).

Dodge or Die:
Interesting concept and gameplay. You need to add some sort of graphic displaying the area covered by your shield, otherway it’s pretty hard to know when to press space.
Some sort of fading glow displaying the duration of the shield would be nice, for the same reason.
Also, the ninja graphic is weird; it took me a while to find out tha it wasn’t just some random black block.

Lure or Die:
Loved the character/intro.
Nice game, well executed. Graphics are good too. THe only issue was that there wasn’t seem to be a way to turn off the music.
Other than that, it’s a nice game and lasts enough, even whene there are just a few levels.
Good job.

Slime or Die:
Nice game with a ton of levels. I liked the music.
The only thing I’d change about it is the speed, or at least add a way fo the player to pick it; some levels felt extremely slow and sometimes it seemed like it was just a mater of patience, since the solution itself wasn’t hard.
Other than that, I feel it’s a very nice entry. Nice job.

Fry or Die:
I loved the screaming.
Simple, fun and entertaining. A solid little game, although it needs a goal.
Also, the controls aren’t the best; attacking with the keyboard would be more comfortable.

That’s a ton of games right there… hard to pick two, sice I enjoyed many of them…
There are some games which have a lot of potential, but aren’t that great at their current state, so I’m going with the ones which seemed like a full game:

1st: Lure or Die.

2nd: Slime or Die.

Special mention to Hunt or Die; gave the second place to Slime because it offers more variety.
Good job, everyone. It’s nice to see so many entrants in a GiTD.
And again, thanks to Tricky and Emily for supporting it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

Explode or Die:
I never found a way to mute the sound, which was pretty annoying.
That said, it’s a solid and fun game. Some levels are quite challenging and that’s good.
Good controls, nice graphics, many levels. Nice job.
One thing is that at level 5 (?) there’s some tutorial-like text telling you to destroy the castle, when you’ve already done that four times before. Kind of unnecessary.
More levels, a level editor and you have a great game there. Don’t forget the mute button!

Games made with flixel always come with a pre-built volume control. 0 mutes the game, + and – changes the volume. It’s not optimal, as M is commonly used for muting games and you cannot control sfx and music seperately this way, but I couldn’t be bothered to implement a system of my own for this. And you’re right, there’s no button for it – no explanation either. The final game will have a button for muting both sfx and music. :) Checking for 0, + and – is also handy for finding out whether a game has been made with flixel.

I first thought that the text in level 5 (I think you actually mean 6) is a bug and a result of the crappy way I implemented those tutorial texts. But that particular text (“You have to explode the castle”) is a reference to “You have to burn the rope”.

Flag Post

1st : Explode or Die
2nd: Portal or Die

Some very nice entries, well done to everyone who participated!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

Dodge or Die:
Interesting concept and gameplay. You need to add some sort of graphic displaying the area covered by your shield, otherway it’s pretty hard to know when to press space.
Some sort of fading glow displaying the duration of the shield would be nice, for the same reason.
Also, the ninja graphic is weird; it took me a while to find out tha it wasn’t just some random black block.

As you may have guessed, art isn’t my strong point. Which is why the BG is some photoshop filters, the ninja stars are pixel art and the ninja itself is a weird rectangle…

Flag Post

1st: Jump or Die – Moshdef
Short levels + quick respawn + increasing difficulty + catsharks + completion + randomly spawning enemies = a great action game with replay value. Also, it doesn’t pay lip service to the theme the way a number of others do, so it’s an easy choice for 1st place.
2nd: Portal or Die – MossyStump
Has the makings of a fun/frustrating(in a good way) action/puzzle game (and it satisfies the theme).

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:
As you may have guessed, art isn’t my strong point. Which is why the BG is some photoshop filters, the ninja stars are pixel art and the ninja itself is a weird rectangle…

I kind of liked ninja pencil man…

Could use some extra-sneaky pupils, though (that move toward the direction player is moving).

I just noticed: blocking stars coming from the left is OK, but blocking stars coming from the right never seems to work…? Also (I’m going to mention it again, in case you missed it), blocking upgrade in normal mode doesn’t work (i.e., you can’t purchase it).

Flag Post

Gonna be editing this huge post as I play each game~

Good luck everyone!

=

MossyStumpPortal or Die

Bad: Never played Portal so I really could have used some instructions. Especially what yellow vs. blue was. Plus horrible controls. I could never get used to them.

Good: Interesting idea. Definitely something to expand on.

Rating: 2/5

AaantsGiTD or Die

Bad: Quite a few options weren’t available. In its current state it got kinda boring as a ‘game’ (See below for reason for quotes.) I wish happiness would have been moving in this Alpha version.

Good: It would make a really nice idle game! Once finished, I think I’d really enjoy this game.

Rating: 3/5

EmergencyFlasherSave or Die

Bad: Controls were terrible. I wish I could move faster. (Yes, even with Shift.)

Good: Graphics were great and music was a nice touch. I liked the idea of the game and where it could go with more work put into it. The story caught my interest.

Rating: 1/5

NarinikPaddle or Die

Bad: I hurt my wrists and (would have) broke my keyboard.

Good: If the controls were better this would be one of those addictive games where you must beat your friends.

RTL_ShadowConserve or Die

Bad: Not much bad here. Solid groundwork for a decent game. Easily reminded me of BoomsticK (I assume that’s where you got the idea from?) Oh, and yea, the music ran out, like others said.

Good: Again, solid game. Could use some thrills and frills to spice the variety. (Power-ups, upgrades, different enemies, timer, etc.)

Rating: 4/5

KewryAvoid or Die

Bad: Gets monotonous and no score counter(s) during game-play. While the aesthetics were superb, the game-play held everything back.

Good: Visually stunning and I’ve always enjoyed DJ Dashy’s (Es337’s) musical talents. I really liked the method of pausing the game. Definitely unique props in that department.

UnknownGuardianMine or Die

Bad: Yes, I was also confused at the beginning. It was so slow and boring. The idea is there but you’ll need a speed-up button (x2, x3, x4, etc.) if you want me to hang around the mines more. A game like this sorely needs some sort of a guide. A fluctuating market would be neat, too. (Play High Tea for a great example on that executed to the max.)

Good: Potential and a nice concept. Maybe missions would have helped?

GharrotFlee or Die

Bad: Not much bad here. Solid game. This is making me rage!!!1

Good: It’s a well-designed game. Tough but fun. I could see myself playing this for awhile only for badges. I know a few people that’d love this. I could also see this as a game used for a tourney in the Kong forum.

Senekis93Die or Die

Bad: The red orb/ball was too loose. I think it would have been better if it followed my mouse exactly.

Good: Simplistic avoider game. …Maybe that was also the bad? The more I tried the worse I thought of it. Some power-ups or missions to keep me playing, maybe?

nadjatee1996Fly or Die [by nadjatee1996]

Bad: It was mundane. Maybe a faster pace would help?

Good: Lotsa stats to shoot for and try to break. Another game with re-playability for the player to try and do better than previous attempts.

nutter666Escape or Die

Bad: Catch-22 here: The slow pace and lack of light made it almost boring and strained my eyes. I kept getting lost because I could hardly see, too, but, because of the slow pace, didn’t know if to push forward or head back.

Good: And now the second half of my Catch-22: The slow pace and lack of light contributed to the sense of desperation and need to escape. I also loved the floor graphics. I kept admiring the sense of realism. The blood was creepy, too.

SanchexShoot or Die

Bad: DIE DOG!!! >:C

Good: Wow, those graphics are amazing! Please continue working on this game. I know there isn’t much now but it looks promising. (cwutididthar?)

Shake_N_BakerSave Kitty or Die Trying

Bad: The colors were bland and the pots were empty. Hearts in pots would have been cool. I am assuming the unfinished part began when I attempted to save my cat, right?

Good: What you have is nicely done, though it’s not much. The little touch of humor was a nice addition. Solid start so far; please continue! And as I said to Aaants: Once finished, I think I’d really enjoy this game.

ErlendHLFly or Die [by ErlendHL]

Bad: Unplayable game, obviously. Though, nothing bad to say about it! :-P

Good: Looks interesting and promising! You could just always add a score-counter and say it’s an idle game! ;-)

alecz127Hunt or Die

Bad: Not much direction in the game. After a few minutes of killing and skinning, I wasn’t sure if to keep going. As I kept going the game started to grow monotonous. Missions or some sort of score-tracker or deer requirement would solve this.

Good: Great introduction and story. The graphics were so good I thought they could have been actual cave drawings! The music was a great touch, too. Very unique game, even down to placing your own achievements.

MoshdefJump or Die

Bad: I know I suck at these types of games but I think it needed more checkpoints.

Good: Decent, finished game. Original, creative and humorous. Well-designed.

Gama11Explode or Die

Bad: Level 10.

Good: Here I go! Decent music, cool sound effects and instructions are all present. You have good, simple controls. The difficulty is spot-on. The two (that I noticed) Kong game (removed to prevent spoilers) references are splendid! (I still have trouble getting into the damn windows!) There is room for competition and/or high scoreboards via the level times. It’s very well polished and could stand as a completed game. I couldn’t help but notice the incorporation of the GiTD theme was very nicely done, as well. Great game; nice work.

Rating: 5/5

SSDRWH0Gamble or Die

Bad: Points Display was off by default.

Good: I’m not sure if I’m being too harsh when I think that it’s basically a blackjack game with a little humorous story and a time limit to reach a certain amount of money slapped on top of it. Though the blackjack game and the rest of the interface is correctly executed. (Clear Bets, sound option, pause) With that said, I enjoyed it. (I still would like to get the money needed, so there’s the replay value.)

feartehstickmanDodge or Die

Bad: The block upgrade in normal mode didn’t work. (I’ve been trying not to factor bugs too much into my voting but this bug soured the 1 upgrade I needed most in the only mode I had the possibility of having fun with.)

Good: The text was really cool. Solid, albeit, strange game. It had upgrades! (Always a plus in my book.)

AMD_Paulius_JLure or Die

Bad: Was difficult and frustrating for me. Everything was very fast and I never had enough spears. (Yes, I got all I could from the obstacles.) Other than that nothing much else that was bad.

Good: A well-polished and unique game that definitely could be (and is) fun for the right player(s). The story was the best part, in my opinion. Quite a few helpful methods I figured out upon playing could have been told in a guide. These made the game easier but by the time I figured them out I didn’t have much patience left.

adamkingdomSlime or Die

Bad: I’m resorting to being picky just to find a bad thing in this game: The music button has a strike-through even when the music is on.

Good: Congratulations! You just earned the Slime Love Badge and 15 points! (So much good that badges would be a must if uploaded to Kong.)

DarkscannerFry or die

Bad: I was so confused at the beginning until I figured out what to do. Invincibility and no goals spoiled the fun factor.

Good: Quirky graphics, different concept and interesting sounds. You have the solid basis for the game so keep working on it.

=

Please don’t quote any part of this post as every part is liable to change. I’m using this post as a rough draft so far. I’m doing this voting for the first time, so this seems to be an acceptable method. Thank you :-)

=

Doing this makes me feel like a member of GameInformer or something similar :-P

Tie-breaker: The GiTD theme

Top Contenders (5/5s)

Gama11Explode or Die
SSDRWH0Gamble or Die
adamkingdomSlime or Die

After 8+ hours and many games played, I can’t help but start looking at the top contenders. With that said, Gamble or Die is falling behind (in my thoughts) because of lack of creativity and originality when compared to the others.

Now, the moment of truth! Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnn~

Many games were unfinished, some lacked game-play, a few had awesome art, but all of them have potential. This was my first time being involved and I definitely hope to be a part of the next and future ones. This was a very rewarding experience and I’m glad I decided to try this out. Without further mumbling, here are my votes:

1st place: adamkingdomSlime or Die

2nd place: Gama11Explode or Die

Congratulations to everyone for participating and thank you for letting me be a part of this amazingly fun GiTD #28!!! :-D

Flag Post

@DRK
Yeah, GiTD or Die was great. I had that written in my #2 voting spot for a bit, with Lure or Die in #1, just because it was still really fresh in my mind and as an idle game I thought it was amazing. Obviously it appeals to me personally, but beyond that it seemed like a very well set up idle game. With features such as playing your own games in the form of minigames, and other things like that, you could definitely take it beyond just being an “idle” game and make it more of a developer RPG. I really did love this and I agree that it would make an amazing game when it’s finished, even if it was left as strictly an idle game.

(The reason I had to choose others over GiTD or Die in the end is that it wasn’t finished and there was really nothing to even work towards, and although I loved it for alot of reasons it didn’t seem fair to me to put it above some of the others)

Flag Post
Originally posted by AMD_Paulius_J:

I think Aesica’s entry was skipped, wasn’t it?

No, I dropped out. I didn’t think I’d have something that was even playable by the time the deadline hit, and…well I was right. :)

Anyway wow, there’s a lot of entries. It’ll be a bit before I can play each long enough to submit what I feel to be valid votes.

Flag Post

MossyStump - Portal or Die -- The interface and puzzles are too cryptic. I'm not really sure what it is I'm moving around or what I'm supposed to do.

Aaants - GiTD or Die -- While initially amusing, there doesn't seem to be a way for the character to finish his game and upload it. There doesn't seem to be a way for the character to die either.

EmergencyFlasher - Save or Die -- I encountered a bug in which the avatar becomes stuck and walks/runs in place. After restarting the game, I was able to progress, reaching as far as the last door. The movements feel kind of sluggish, like wading in molasses. I'm not sure what's up with the characters that appear in the game -- an old man, a girl with a bomb, another girl with floating archery targets moving around, and a tied-up young man are the ones I encountered. I don't particularly like the game design either. With the countdown timer ticking on, players would have to play the game several times over, memorizing the correct moves they made and trying to learn from their mistakes. For each puzzle, there is only one correct answer, and any other move will give suboptimal results. It's not the kind of game that I'd care to play more than once, win or lose. On the plus side, I really like the music.

Narinik - Paddle or Die -- As someone who is accustomed to WASD keys with A = moving left and D = moving right, I found the controls in this game counter-intuitive. The game was amusing for a while, but without specific objectives to attain and different scenarios to play, it could only hold my interest for so long. Nevertheless, the game may be improved considerably if interesting scenarios with set objectives can be added to it. Also, it faithfully follows the theme of this GiTD contest.

RTL_Shadow - Conserve or Die -- It's possible to wait for extended periods of time for a perfect multiple kill, but in this game, I guess I'd rather die than wait.

Kewry - Avoid or Die -- The game feels laggy, probably because of the particle effects. There seems to be a bug in which the molecules don't appear sometimes when launching the game in story mode. The only solution seems to be to refresh the page. After playing for a while, I eventually reached the point where the narrator says, "I feel complete as if the journey has just begun." Is that good or bad? Did I win or lose? I'm not sure. Anyhow, it's not bad for an avoider. I like the fact that players should try to collide with the blue or green particles while avoiding the red particles, although something should probably be done about the lag.

UnknownGuardian -Mine or Die -- I'm lost in this game. It badly needs a tutorial. Without one, I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Gharrot - Flee or Die -- Not bad, although I'm not particularly fond of games that require split-second timing to navigate across an area successfully. I can imagine others enjoying it though. Not everyone likes the same kind of games.

Senekis93 - Die or Die -- Uh, do I have a choice? Anyhow, I find it frustrating to try to control a laggy particle in an avoider. (What is it about avoiders with laggy particles in this GiTD?)

nadjatee1996 – Fly or Die -- Finally, an avoider without any laggy particles. On the plus side, collision detection is fairly good, and failure to avoid birds too many times results in the death of the plane. Nevertheless, it's basically a simple avoider at its heart. Avoiding objects is a mechanic that is dull by itself unless something more interesting wraps around it. It's kind of like how rolling dice is dull by itself but not when wrapped within a role-playing game. In fact, the only avoider I really enjoyed was also a role-playing game.

nutter666 - Escape or Die -- The graphics in this game are attractive, but without effective use of sound and music, the game isn't as scary as it could have been. It doesn't take long to realize that it's the player who is scaring the shadowy figures, not the other way around. The controls felt counterintuitive at first, but I got used to them eventually. As the game progresses, however, the movements start to stutter and lag, and it only gets worse as you go on. The fact that the game is a maze at its heart whose only challenge is to find the way out makes the initial excitement over the graphics wear out fast.

Sanchex - Shoot or Die -- Wow, the graphics look awesome. This game has the best graphics in the whole GiTD, in my opinion. The main problem with the game is that no matter how many times I shoot the dog, it just wouldn't die, and no matter how close my avatar gets to the dog, my avatar won't die either.

Shake_N_Baker - Save Kitty or Die Trying -- I reached the point where it says, "SOMETHING I STOLE KITTY SOMETHING SOMETHING NOW DIE!" Or something like that. It sounded like the start of a boss battle, but there was nothing for me to fight. Well, the description does say that the game isn't finished.

ErlendHL - Fly or Die -- This is another game I couldn't figure out. I clicked the mouse button and tapped several keys, but nothing I did changed anything.

alecz127 - Hunt or Die -- I guess with enough persistence, a player could keep hunting deer, but that in itself doesn't make for an engaging game.

Moshdef – Jump or Die -- I laughed when I hovered the mouse cursor over the title, and I'm amazed over how lethal flying tomatoes can be. Unfortunately, timing the jumps is too frustrating for me to keep playing.

Gama11 – Explode or Die -- While the concept is interesting, I don't think it's a good idea to make the early levels as difficult as they currently are.

SSDRWH0 – Gamble or Die -- What's with the bomb around the player character's neck? Don't villains harvest kidneys anymore? What has this world come to? All kidding aside, the game is basically blackjack with a weird pretext slapped on it to fulfill the requirements of the GiTD. I think Texas Hold 'Em would have been a better choice for a card game to win or die, but I know how difficult it is to program a good AI for it. If you want to design a gambling card game with a good twist to it, I suggest taking a cue from Governor of Poker, in which winnings can be used to invest in real estate. No one dies in that game though, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a well designed game.

feartehstickman – Dodge or Die -- The shurikens move so slowly and the avatar jumps so fast that jumping really isn't a viable option in this game.

AMD_Paulius_J – Lure or Die -- The title screen alone had me chuckling, and I laughed louder as I read the opening sequence. By the time I got to the part with the Princess in it, I had tears in my eyes from all that laughing. The gameplay was also very engaging. Overall, I'd say that this one's a winner.

adamkingdom – Slime or Die -- The mechanics are simple, and the levels are all right.

Darkscanner - Fry or Die -- The graphics are aesthetically pleasing, but I have no idea how to play the game. A tutorial or instructions would have been nice.

And my votes are:

1st place -- AMD_Paulius_J (Lure or Die)

2nd place -- adamkingdom (Slime or Die)

Flag Post
Anyhow, I find it frustrating to try to control a laggy particle in an avoider.

There’s a low quality setting in the options tab.

Originally posted by Senekis:

Low quality = shapes. High quality = shitton of filters and heavy/slow bitmap manipulation.

That said, I just noticed that I compiled in debug mode (x_x), but the low quality setting wouldn’t cause lag anyway; I tested.

Flag Post

That’s OK, so did UG (his minecart events are dropping traces all over my FD output window! ^^)

Flag Post

Sorry. I’ve got an issue where my FlashDevelop’s debugger can’t connect to flash player ( I assume I have a wrong version of Java that prevents this).

Also, just because it is cool, the mine system is entirely event based. If a mine has full resources it makes a request for a cart. All the carts listen and then the one that is on same floor as the mine is notified and adds the full mine to it’s queue of mines to go to. When a minecart has a full basket it heads back to the central shaft and makes a request for an elevator. Same thing with the elevator. It adds the cart to it’s queue and picks it up when it gets to it. Then it takes a fully loaded basket to the surface to drop resources off and brings it back down to the cart where it notifies the cart that the basket has been reattached so it can go pick up more resources. Cool stuff.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Sorry. I’ve got an issue where my FlashDevelop’s debugger can’t connect to flash player ( I assume I have a wrong version of Java that prevents this).

Also, just because it is cool, the mine system is entirely event based. If a mine has full resources it makes a request for a cart. All the carts listen and then the one that is on same floor as the mine is notified and adds the full mine to it’s queue of mines to go to. When a minecart has a full basket it heads back to the central shaft and makes a request for an elevator. Same thing with the elevator. It adds the cart to it’s queue and picks it up when it gets to it. Then it takes a fully loaded basket to the surface to drop resources off and brings it back down to the cart where it notifies the cart that the basket has been reattached so it can go pick up more resources. Cool stuff.

Nice, I love setting up automated event systems similar to this, when they work right they are awesome.

Flag Post

Anyway, I will be going through voting on submissions too. I will choose my #1 & #2 when I have played all games.

MossyStumpPortal or Die
It took a few deaths until I figured out what to do, but once I did I quite liked it! I did experience a few bugs but all in all a nice game, that with polish and some other features/ideas, could be a cool puzzle game.