GiTD [#28] Voting - Winners Announced! page 3

72 posts

Flag Post

[Portal or Die (MossyStump)]
The tutorial-as-you-go is well done. It makes the difference between my initial WTF response and an enjoyable game. Needs more levels though, and the title screen is kind of sloppy (you see 2 “play” buttons, but one shrinks the menu back down.) Also, a user-dismissable pause before the game starts (WITHOUT the dialog box in the way) would be nice so I can assess the level instead of feeling like I have to go all willy-nilly with portals while I get my bearings. This is the type of game that seems to encourage thought and planning rather than reflexes, after all.

[GiTD or Die (Aaants)]
Not bad, although I should be able to cancel a project once I start it. (For laughs, I decided to be the “noob” and make my first project a mmorpg) :D Needs more options/customization/etc that is common in idle games these days, but I assume you just didn’t have time for all that.

[Save or Die (EmergencyFlasher)]
Several things: 1) walking seems worthless, as the “run” feels pretty slow and is easy enough to control. In fact, the “walk” speed is downright painful, as is the climbing speed. Dump the walk, and make run the default speed, as constantly holding shift feels awkward with the control scheme. 2) Intro skip option, PLEASE. Or offer a way to speed up the text considerably. 3) The movement animations seems…off. Don’t get me wrong, I like the art style, but something about the way he runs/jumps bothers me. This game also doesn’t seem like it has any replay value, since it’s all memorizing puzzle patterns/locations/solutions. :(

[Paddle or Die (Narinik)]
At first, I didn’t even notice the display telling me how many coins I had. It’s a good start, but if you want to continue to develop this, I’d suggest adding more interesting upgrades and of course more coins with which to buy them: activated abilities (usable once per run, typically), passive abilities that make hazards less dangerous, passives that generate additional powerups (such as more valuable coins, speed boosts, blah etc) More interesting hazards would be nice, too.

[Conserve or Die (RTL_Shadow)]
I like that you added levels. Unfortunately, the fact that the number of kills required goes up by 10 with each level, coupled with the fact that you can’t just chainfire-annihilate everything makes progression feel very slow and grindy. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any noticeable change (better or worse) when you level up, but I stopped at 4. Rather than upping the kill requirement each time, keep it roughly the same (10-15 seems like a good number) but have kills drop fewer and fewer ammo, forcing the user to be smarter with their shots. Alternately, introducing different, less-predictable enemies, or maybe even enemies that can attack you or sap your ammo away (gasp!) would add new elements to the gameplay.

[Avoid or Die (Kewry)]
Overall I like it. I don’t have much to really offer, except that it would be neat if there were occasional collectibles that held a higher priority than the standard molecule things—maybe larger ones worth more. And more interesting enemies/hazards/fart clouds.

[Mine or Die (UnknownGuardian)]
Where is the “die” aspect? Anyway, it took a bit to figure out what was going on and how to play, but after that, it’s pretty neat. One major thing though: Batch selling…PLEASE. I feel like I’m going to destroy my mouse button (or finger) by trying to sell 200k+ stone, 100 units at a time. Unless there’s a compelling reason to hang onto resources later on, let me just sell it all in one click.

[Flee or Die (Gharrot)]
RAAAAGE! @$##%! This game reminds me of meat boy in that it’s SO DAMNED EASY TO DIE. Hardcore players will love the challenge, although since the typical flash game player seems to like casual easy stuff, expect whining and not much popularity. Still, if you dressed the game’s graphics up a bit and threw in some sound effects, it would probably really appeal to the challenge-seeker crowd. Oh, and a button to reset back to the last checkpoint would be nice. After failing a level enough times, I realized I wasn’t going to beat the timer even if I played perfectly, so it turned into “sit back, wait 20 seconds, try again.”

[Die or Die (Senekis93)]
The character/ball/thing is still too hard to see. This really needs to be fixed. Also, it would be neat if you could do more than just dodge the angry poops your thingy leaves in its wake. Maybe a head-on collision with enough momentum built up could actually kill them and award extra points or something? Also, I hit space by accident and discovered that the game has music. :O Odd that it’s not on by default.

[Fly or Die (nadjatee1996)]
Holy crap, I was about to comment that the enemies are all repetitive, predictable, and too easy to dodge when the challenge went from too easy to impossible in a blink. Sometime around 150, birds started raining down at speeds no human could respond to, much less avoid due to the plane’s movement speed. The game needs: 1) An indicator showing level progress, if any. (Important for any game with randomly-generated but ultimately unchanging enemy spawns) 2) A difficulty curve, not a difficulty cliff. Also, the game over summary said that -9 people survived. Does that mean 9 people are UNDEAD? Oh, and I’m disappointed that I can’t impale birds on the nose of my plane without taking damage. Also, where are the gore splatters when I hit them? :(

[Escape or Die (nutter666)]
My previous criticism still stands: Some sort of ground markings should exist in front of doors, so I know where to return to once I get a key. Also, the game seems like it would play better if up always moved up, down always down, etc. It’s more realistic to think that you might point your flashlight in the direction of a creepy sound rather than turning straight toward the source of said creepy sound. Also, strafing feels really clumsy under the current movement mechanic. Other than that, nice and creepy. :) well done.

[Shoot or Die (Sanchex)]
Wonderful/adorable artwork, even if the rest is still under construction. I’d be curious to see this game again when it’s playable.

[Save Kitty or Die Trying (Shake_N_Baker)]
Another game that I’ll want to check out when it’s closer to completion. It looks like the background object collision problem is fixed, too (at least, I can’t get behind the block again) You might want to add an original-zelda-style screen transition too, as currently, screen transitions are a bit abrupt.

[Fly or Die (ErlendHL)]
This either isn’t finished to a playable state, or I’m not understanding the controls. :(

[Hunt or Die (alecz127)]
Nice improvements over the last time I played it. Building up hunting energy or whatever feels a bit slow though, plus more things to kill (with their own unique movement patterns) than just stickdeer would add even more to the gameplay.

[Jump or Die (Moshdef)]
I love the game over screen. I just wish I could duck and that the levels were more varied besides “what is thrown at you.” The overall theme of the game reminds me of those ridiculous japanese gameshows. :D

[Explode or Die (Gama11)]
Probably one of the most complete-feeling games in this batch. While I’m betting the simple 8-bit graphics are what you were going for, the won’t appeal to the majority of flash gamers. Still, nicely done! Oh, and the last 3 levels are just cruel. :D

[Gamble or Die (SSDRWH0)]
Pausing the game should also bring up the rules, so players unfamiliar with blackjack can use it as a reference sheet. Nicely done though, as this is another game that was fully finished by the deadline.

[Dodge or Die (feartehstickman)]
It took me a moment before i realized that the…bar?…was my character. Right away, it seems unusually difficult to jump over things, but maybe that improves as upgrades allow. One thing that strikes me right away though: “ducking” is broken, in that you can move, jump, etc while ducking. Thus, there’s no reason (that I can tell) to ever let go of the down arrow since holding it down makes you a smaller target.

[Lure or Die (AMD_Paulius_J)]
Another complete game, yaay! That king is such a huge dick though. Poor old guy. :( My only thought at this point is that the difficulty of each level feels unstable. Each level starts off mild enough, as you have ample ground cover, but as those get destroyed, things heat up…until the turrets go down. Once you’re down to like 2 turrets, it’s a cakewalk. Maybe heat things back up by having soldiers spawn every so often, and more frequently as the number of turrets decreases. Basically, I’m suggesting some way to heat things up for the player as the end of each level approaches, rather than things cooling down. Oh, and the intro story/dialog really needs a skip button, even if it’s amusing. Your players will typically only want to read the story between 0-1 times.

[Slime or Die (adamkingdom)]
ANOTHER complete game. :D I liked the eerie music and overall atmosphere. (creepy icecubes, gtfo!) I still think level 12 is unusually hard compared to the levels that come after, except for maybe the last one. 12 would be a suitable second-to-last level, IMO. Honestly, that’s really all I can think of. Nice game.

[Fry or Die (Darkscanner)]
Still needs a lot of work. Right now, it’s pretty much just an attrition battle where, in the end, you lose since your jump isn’t adequate for avoiding the people who want to dryhump your character, and you take more damage than you gain by zipping around to collect the health & mana orbs. It’s also something of a clickfest, which is…not good. Also, please include arrow key functionality. The death screams are pretty rewarding, though. I’m not dying when my health reaches 0 and (presumably) goes into the negative. Is it even possible to kill the guys who fly around on the poles?

– - -

Anyway, my votes…and this wasn’t easy. After much thought, I decided that the best way (for me) was to base it on two factors: 1) completion and 2) did I enjoy it enough to stick with the game all the way? Anyway:

First) Lure or Die. The fact that it had a story was actually the tiebreaker for me. It makes the game feel all that much more complete, even if I did suggest a skip button for the intro. Add more levels with more challenges, innovations, and fun stuff to kill/avoid and you’ve got a recipe for success here! :D
Second) Slime or Die. Simple, eerie, and yet addictive enough to keep me playing through all the way until the end. Bravo! :D

Honorable Mention) Portal or Die, Flee or Die, Explode or Die, Hunt or Die

And lastly, games I’d like to see finished) Mine or Die, Shoot or Die, Save Kitty or Die Trying (don’t keep that title please)

Nice job everyone! :D

Flag Post
Also, please include arrow key functionality.

I actually have it already. Press 1 for arrowkeys, press 2 for arrowkeys with space, press 3 for WASD, press 4 for WASD with space, press 5 for ,AOE (For DVORAK keyboards), and press 6 for ,AOE with space.

Is it even possible to kill the guys who fly around on the poles?

Yes, it just takes a while do to your short range. I’ll probably make you start out with a longer range in the final game.

Other than that, thanks for the advice. It is all very helpful, and I’ll make sure to take it into account as I complete the game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:
Also, please include arrow key functionality.

I actually have it already. Press 1 for arrowkeys, press 2 for arrowkeys with space, press 3 for WASD, press 4 for WASD with space, press 5 for ,AOE (For DVORAK keyboards), and press 6 for ,AOE with space.

That seems like an awful lot of trouble, why not just allow the players to custom the key mapping altogether? Let them use YGHJ for movement keys and ESC instead of space if they want.

Flag Post

If any feedback seems harsh I apologize, I’m being as brutally honest, nit picky, and OCD about all of your fine games as I am when developing my own.

MossyStump – Portal or Die
Beggining screen could use a little bit of color, or something else to make it less bland. Love the pixel text and the button animations. The level select itself is a tad confusing, it should make sense immediately upon seeing it. Good short description on what we are to accomplish. I like that each level has a title. Graphics could use a small overhaul, sometimes games like this are fine being squares and pixels, but I think it would benefit greatly from a bit of graphics tweaking, a theme even and a story that matches. I look very forward to seeing this game released! You have a great engine so far, and levels are just waiting to be built. If I could suggest anything, checkpoint squares. For longer more complicated levels. If you interact with a checkpoint square (maybe you just walk right through it) it saves the direction and square of the checkpoint. When you die, you start over at the checkpoint. This could make for some very interesting levels.

Aaants – GiTD or Die
Aaants! The british teacher (is he british?) who comes out with a very interesting out of the box idea for a game. GiTDCEPTION! I really like where this game is going. The loading screen is good, not a fan of the overall dimensions of the game, its a bit small. I enjoy the different options, and you know I have him training on PRG right now. Its not quite finished though, several options are unavailable, and I’m able to put my fresh coder to work on an MMORPG, hes probably begging someone now on some forums to give him code. I wish that a game could actually be finished, and there was more game options. I disagree with the opinions of others, I believe you should move away from idle game with this, and move towards a simulation game. Add actual contests, prizes, other people to interact with, maybe the real world gets in the way, job, girlfriend, mom. Theres many directions you could take it at this point. Would also greatly benefit from soundFX and music.

EmergencyFlasher – Save or Die
The intro is nice. But I think you could speed up the part where it shows your name, it was just a tad slow. I wasn’t able to complete it, possible bug with not being able to open doors sometimes? Art was good, programming could have been a bit more optimized, and the sound was good but it sounded a bit off, like it was MONO instead of STEREO. shrugs Nothing to really complain about other then that. Hammer out the bugs, improve the overall quality a tad, but you’ve got a great game here.

Narinik – Paddle or Die
Uploaded to kongregate?! Now thats a brave one. Good for you! splash screen is nice (see the pun?) There wasn’t a loading screen though, which is always a good measure to have or is that what the green bar is? A video advertisement got in the way. The graphics for the splash screen are good, but bits and pieces of it look hurried, and could use a bit more time and thought put into it. The “Coins” Text should be easier to see, perhaps a white fill. You should award coins to getting farther down (up?) stream as well, so that the player isn’t awarded for suiciding for a coin. Its a good solid little game. Could use a bit more variety as I play, really needs a graphic overhaul, and remember to reward your players more often when they play a game like this.
Bug Report: A seam appeared between the “water” while playing. I really really appreciate the gameplay of this one. Although I don’t understand a wave traveling upstream if thats what direction we’re heading.

RTL_Shadow – Conserve or Die
This is a great game! I love the idea behind it. The music didn’t loop for me (unless I unmute and remute it, so I guess that could count technically as manual looping). If you kill an enemy that is almost off screen you don’t get very much ammo, which you could leave or force the ammo onto the screen. The title screen itself is nice. I like the falling selector. The different options could be raised a little bit. Options and credits don’t work yet, but thats fine. Spent most of your time concerned about gameplay. The tutorial thingy is very good. Needs a restart button. Needs a pause button and a pause screen, and you should check if the game has lost focus, every time I switch over here to write more of this feedback, the only way to allow movement in the game again is by clicking on the game (duh) which of course sprays bullets, which isn’t so bad, but I like to line myself up for a great double kill first. I think your game could benefit from a timer of some sort. My suggestions is the progress to the next level slowly decreases. More sense of urgency! Which the music would really amplify! and %^&$ triple kills are difficult to get. New enemies should appear sooner, and they should be more different. They wiggle… but the wiggle doesn’t do much besides looks. With a shotgun spray its kind of difficult for that wiggle to mean a difference in avoiding my shot. Needs a graphics overhaul (the enemies mostly) maybe a short back story. Theres a lot you could do with this game though. You could make trippy immersive backgrounds that make it harder to concentrate on where the enemies are as well, provoking more misses. Love this game though.

Kewry – Avoid or Die
Great game. I see you added a little bit more story and even some narrative. I like this. I appreciate this. I appreciate how much there is left to figure out yourself though, its still an abstract thing. The music fits really well, but should loop better, The graphics are great, but the bland black background still subtracts too much from the pretty graphics. Still needs a restart button as well. Add more variety to the levels and you’ve got a great game!

UnknownGuardian – Mine or Die
Oh yeah! Event based what? I have no idea but I hope he releases source code, this game is sweet. Theres no story, music, or sound FX, and the sick artist detracted from it, but I think UG did just fine on the art himself. The important thing is that its addicting. I want to be able to mine deeper. I agree with the others though, I don’t want to put miles on my mouse! clicking hundreds of times! How could you sanely test your game all the way through this way without getting fed up with stone and eventually ignoring it? Its missing something though, mining and selling isn’t enough. Needs danger perhaps? Rival mining companies? dinosaur bones? I have no idea. But this has a great structural skeleton that could be worked into something super addicting and fun. I hope you continue to work on it!

Gharrot – Flee or Die
I am a huge fan of “The worlds hardest game ever” and have beaten it several times. This game has great promise. It needs precision, and I don’t think its fair you can’t touch walls. I think you should seperate walls and dangerous objects. I’m not a fan of the music, too much organ. Perhaps needs to be more zoomed in so I can be more precise. Needs work. Has promise.

Senekis93 – Die or Die
I totally stole your loading bar idea! The loading bar outro and “Senekis” Intro and outro and main screen intro are flipping sweet. I look forward to being able to wield code so effortlessly. The graphics themselves are meh, but they are consistent. In-game I notice that the new evil ballsteroids are created where you currently are. Forcing you to move constantly. On low setting dodging is crazy hard. Why does “R” toggle music? Be a little more selfish and force your music to start at intro! FORCE YOUR MUSIC DOWN THEIR THROATS AND INTO THEIR SOULS! Nah but the music is pretty nice, its actually quite my style, and I am puzzled where you got it from. Perhaps you made it? Also theres two quality settings, medium and low. But in the options it says low and high? You definitely gave this game some quality overhaul since I last played it. Setting it on medium is crazy. I think the game itself is a little too fast paced, When its on medium, it slows down significantly and I am able to enjoy it much more, dodging and whatnot. The increased quality makes it more enjoyable. Whereas the low setting just kind of feels like uber fast paced avoid ball physics. Great stuff.

nadjatee1996 – Fly or Die [by nadjatee1996]
Simply little game. Nice little intro. Good stuff releasing it. Graphics are pleasant, and I appreciate each engine can go offline as well as integrity being implemented here. No sound FX or music is a bummer. All in all its a simple avoider game, theres a lot that could be done.

nutter666 – Escape or Die
I love the usage of darkess, and shadows in this game. The blood text is great stuff. Graphics overall are great, not a fan of the player graphics though, doesn’t fit the rest of it I thought. Doesn’t feel complete, maybe give the flashlight a hungry need for batteries and scatter those batteries around. Splash screen needs some work as well. Sound FX are great, really enjoyed the bone crunching and the death scene.

Sanchex – Shoot or Die
No intro, or loading bar. No menu or options. No sound or music. Its not a finished game, but what is there is important. The guts. The graphics are flipping adorable and awesome. The programming is there. I think you should be able to walk past the tower without being forced into it though, maybe being under the tower and pressing up or jump puts you back into the tower. Add weapons, activate those turrets, enemies, bosses, and this’ll be a sweet game. Might need to have bigger dimensions or pull the view back a tad though.

Shake_N_Baker – Save Kitty or Die Trying ( Boo Yay Didn’t follow naming conventions! (but followed them enough to be qualified!))
No loading bar. Intro screen is ok, needs a little bit of work. No music or sound FX is disappointing. I like the addition of enemies, and the change in the questline since I last played. I think the guy that tells you to get the sword should have a different message after you get it, even if its just “oh good you got the sword, go save kitty!” I believe there should also be a short timer inbetween getting hurt where you are invulnerable to prevent very very very quick death. Apply knockback and it’ll be perfect. The colors are a little dull but thats not so bad. Of course it needs that epic end boss battle. You should also take some time and make it a bit longer. Invest more time in this game because I want to play the final version!

ErlendHL – Fly or Die [by ErlendHL]
Doesn’t load. But it has a loading screen! Well done. Its also quite a nice loading screen. I can only speculate that this would have been a fun interesting game based on those little circles. No music, but its a title screen and those sound FX are kickin.

Moshdef – Jump or Die
It has a loading screen! (the loading bar compared to the other awesome graphics is a little lame though.) And a title screen! with epic music. Maybe a bit of sound FX woudln’t hurt. Death scene is amazing. Artwork in general is amazing. Bilingual? perhaps you are. Either way I’m loving the inner mixing going on. Don’t make fun of me but I believe its Kanji. I like the atmosphere it creates. I see that you made it possible to beat each level now instead of just randomizing where the projectiles comes from. Awesome. Thats what I like to see. I’d like to see this game have bigger dimensions, and a little more quality time spent with the graphics. Some things had a lot of effort put into them, while other things are triangles and squares. I think you should make it very clear to the player that there will be checkpoints, or they may fail to stick around long enough to find out. Maybe powerups? All in all its a great game.

Gama11 – Explode or Die
I believe I saw a loading screen for a split second. Title screen is basically just a level select screen, you really should have a title screen! Levels themselves are fun, the music is done well, the graphics, the entirety. And its games like these that make it very difficult to win this contest. Damn good job.

SSDRWH0 – Gamble or Die
You should lower the volume of the music a bit. Its really loud. The graphics need work, but I’m loving the story of the game and I wish I had enough time to win the whole thing! You could make the gameplay a bit more interesting if you wanted, make a special version of blackjack and a reason why you’re playing the special version. Then add your own twists, and turns. Good work.

feartehstickman – Dodge or Die
Its a nicely done little game. Could use a lot more work put into it. And it needs to be possible to avoid the ninja stars, otherwise its just luck based. Needs music, sound FX. Good work though.

AMD_Paulius_J – Lure or Die
I played this game from start to finish. The story is awesome, the gameplay is awesome, the sound FX and music are awesome, Its a great game.

adamkingdom – Slime or Die
Its a very good game, The loading screen is a bit dull but you have one! Very proud of this one!

Darkscanner – Fry or die
Its not quite a finished game, But what is there is really awesome. I love the graphics. The sound FX are a tad annoying still.

1st Place goes to AMD_Paulius_J – Lure or Die

2nd Place goes to Moshdef – Jump or Die

Flag Post

The music was done by 1337Al (There’s a link in the credits section of the game).

Many of you seem to think it’d be better if music sarted on by default, so I think I’ll start doing that in future projects. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Flag Post

@alecz127 did you not see this? Submit doesn’t work :<

Flag Post

And you’ve got a little over 3 hours and 30 minutes remaining to vote! Gogogogogogogogogogogogo.

Also, please note that I am beating Sanchex currently.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

Many of you seem to think it’d be better if music sarted on by default, so I think I’ll start doing that in future projects. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

What I do is enable it by default, but store a cookie whether its muted or not. When the player reopens the game at a later time, if it was last muted, it will remain so on start. I’ve notice a lot of flash games do this and its very nice. Its also “professional” the big games do it. The most important part is I imagine you’re somewhat like me, and you like to listen to music while you program, probably on your computer because its right there and (probably) doesn’t require a battery. Testing the game can be really annoying with that music needing to be muted every time. But the whole saving the cookie thing obviously fixes that. Just mute it once, and it will be muted every time you open it unless you clear your cookies.

Flag Post

And we had a really close finish between 3 entries. Incredible. Congrats to AMD_Paulius_J with Lure or Die with First place and Gama11 with Explode or Die with Second. An honorable mention to adamkingdom coming in a close third with Slime or Die.

MossyStump – Portal or Die	|xxxxx
Aaants – GiTD or Die		|xx
EmergencyFlasher – Save or Die	|
Narinik – Paddle or Die		|
RTL_Shadow – Conserve or Die	|
Kewry – Avoid or Die		|xxxx
UnknownGuardian – Mine or Die	|x
Gharrot – Flee or Die		|
Senekis93 – Die or Die		|
nadjatee1996 – Fly or Die	|
nutter666 – Escape or Die	|x
Sanchex – Shoot or Die		|
Shake_N_Baker – Kitty or Die	|xx
ErlendHL – Fly or Die		|
alecz127 – Hunt or Die		|x
Moshdef – Jump or Die		|xxx
Gama11 – Explode or Die		|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SSDRWH0 – Gamble or Die		|xx
feartehstickman – Dodge or Die	|
AMD_Paulius_J – Lure or Die	|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
adamkingdom – Slime or Die	|xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Darkscanner – Fry or die	|x

EDIT Since AMD_Paulius_J’s entry is on Kongregate, you guys should head over there and give rate his game.

Flag Post

Congratz to the Jazauskas Bros

Flag Post

Haha danny and that wizard.

Originally posted by DannyDaNinja:

Congratz to the Jazauskas Bros

^ I second this. Good Job guys!

@Kewry The game lags really really bad when “Death scene” happens for me, so I just closed out of it. Lasts for like… longer then 60 seconds. That looks like a very nice game over screen though!

Flag Post

WOOT! I tied in 10th place with three other people. I think I’m gonna call this GiTD a success.

Good GiTD, everybody!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:

10th place

wouldn’t we be in 8th place?? Maybe I have no idea how places work-shrug-

Flag Post

Thanks to everyone for so much feedback, I noted everything down, because we decided to create a full version of that game, and all this feedback is much appreciated and very valuable. There were some things that I was blind about.

Thanks to UG for organizing everything. Also thanks goes to someone who thought this GiTD theme, it was very cool.

Flag Post

Congrats to AMD_Paulius_J for winning the top prize. It’s truly amazing that a game of this quality was done in only 10 days or less. I look forward to seeing it developed further. Thanks to everyone else who participated in the contest and gave the rest of us a chance to see the fruits of their quickfire creativity, and a big thank you to Kongregate for helping make this the biggest GiTD yet.

Flag Post

Haha sorry guys… I never got to the gameplay because of several factors that made it impossible to work on this. Most people would tell me to post my current game anyway but unfortunately as mentioned I forgot to add a description that would tell you there is no gameplay and um yeah! (e) The current state of the game would indeed be a menu and maybe also a loading screen.
Also sorry for not reviewing any of your games. I should really have done that.

Flag Post

Congratulations to AMD_Paulius for winning the first prize. Lure or Die is a great game, and I’d love to see the finished version of the game. Same goes for Slime or Die.

Also, thanks for all your votes! Glad you liked my entry. :)

Flag Post

Congrats, AMD_Paulius_J.
Good job, everyone who joined.

Originally posted by alecz127:
Originally posted by Senekis:

What I do is enable it by default, but store a cookie whether its muted or not. When the player reopens the game at a later time, if it was last muted, it will remain so on start. I’ve notice a lot of flash games do this and its very nice. Its also “professional” the big games do it. The most important part is I imagine you’re somewhat like me, and you like to listen to music while you program, probably on your computer because its right there and (probably) doesn’t require a battery. Testing the game can be really annoying with that music needing to be muted every time. But the whole saving the cookie thing obviously fixes that. Just mute it once, and it will be muted every time you open it unless you clear your cookies.

Yeah, I do save the music preferences in the SOL file, but instead of automatically playing it, I used to start it muted because I usually have the earphones playing music like 90% of the time I’m on the computer, and having a game play its music over yours is rather annoying, especially when you have to wait for the whole intro/developer logos/sponsor pages before you can mute it. But since it seems that most people don’t do that and instead find it weird to have it muted as default, I’ll just make it play from the start in future projects.

Flag Post

I definitely like that people write reviews now. I love feedback! My game was super rushed (started 6 days in) but with the reviews you guys put up and the suggestions made, it really makes me want to update and continue to develop the game! Thank you guys! Im def going to make time for the next GiTD and start on time!!!!

Flag Post

Nice job everyone! Despite what the voting numbers reflect, there really was a lot of good games/beginnings of games in this batch. There’s several that I hope make it to completion.

Originally posted by Senekis93:

Yeah, I do save the music preferences in the SOL file, but instead of automatically playing it, I used to start it muted because I usually have the earphones playing music like 90% of the time I’m on the computer, and having a game play its music over yours is rather annoying, especially when you have to wait for the whole intro/developer logos/sponsor pages before you can mute it. But since it seems that most people don’t do that and instead find it weird to have it muted as default, I’ll just make it play from the start in future projects.

You know, one thing you can do as a sort of compromise, to get the best of both worlds, is to have your preloader offer TWO start buttons when it finishes: “Play” and “Play Muted.” There’s a few games out there which do something like this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

You know, one thing you can do as a sort of compromise, to get the best of both worlds, is to have your preloader offer TWO start buttons when it finishes: “Play” and “Play Muted.” There’s a few games out there which do something like this.

Love the idea. Thanks, I’ll do that from now on.

Flag Post

Kongrats to AMD_Paulius_J and Gama11!!! :-D