Thinking about tackleing my first game, using unity3d, just a couple questions

6 posts

Flag Post

Okay, so i want to make my first game, and i want it to be a browser based mmofps, COMPLETELY free, none of the premium pay-to-get-ahead bullshit, so my first and foremost question, am i going to have to learn some type of coding language when using Unity? Another one, are there any ways to get the multiplayer functioning for free? Because i have virtually a nonexistent budget, and i dont want to because then i would have to ask for donations, and make a second currency that u have to buy. I would appreciate it if i could get some tips and tricks from the guys at BeGone, and maybe Contract Wars, because i want it to be similar to that. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Flag Post

Yes, you will need to learn Unityscript (Javascript essentially) or Boo (C# essentially) to make anything moderately functional in Unity if you don’t copy/pasta existing assets.

You can get multiplayer for free from service that offers a free plan, such as playerio. However, the free plan is enough to sustain testing purposes usually. If you release the game you will probably need to upgrade to a paid plan.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RandyZ:

Okay, so i want to make my first game, and i want it to be a browser based mmofps

No. Not gonna happen.

Flag Post

Okay, so i want to make my first game

Great!

and i want it to be a browser based mmofps

Oh dear.

Flag Post

Heh, sorry to say this but you come off as the typical dreamer newbie developer. A browser-based MMOFPS is really hard – FPSs require low latency and an efficient rendering and event platform, and that’s not really available in a browser. Also, multiplayer games are a lot harder than single player ones, and real time multiplayer is the hardest of all.

That said, if you want to go down a free multiplayer route, I recommend having a look at Player.IO. They have a free package which is at least enough to write a game and test it to see if it’s going to be worth launching.

Flag Post

Okay, so i want my first game to be a browser based mmofps, COMPLETELY free, none of the premium pay-to-get-ahead bullshit

http://yourgameideaistoobig.com/