GiTD [#29] Entries and Discussion (started!) page 2

66 posts

Flag Post

At best, I’m going to have 4-5 hours to attempt something, which is a shame because I like my idea. Anywho, if anyone is struggling for an idea (hardly likely, I know) and wants it:

You control a kid who sleepwalks. You spend the daytime sleepwalk-proofing your house and the surrounding grounds to stop yourself being hurt/killed at night. Obstacles range from holes in the floor of your poorly built farmhouse, broken or dodgy stairs, rakes on the ground (Sideshow Bob!) and loose farm animals.

Will try something simpler in the time I do have…

Flag Post

This post is not reserved (but you can’t have it)

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

I’ve actually done something

A bit like Farm of Souls…

You control the time (day/night). Achieveing a balance allows your people to grow without destroying all the animals they use for food…
At the moment, not much happens. The people kill the animals, and the animals breed.

Any ideas are welcome.

“If you slaughter it, they will come”

Turned night on, walked away for a minute, came back and there was a big brown belt around the middle of the screen. Turned day on, and within moments there was a horde of probably unwashed pixelmen hacking away at the virtual beefy goodness. And lo, so it was, that from that day forth, unto the crashing of the Browser, the pixel humans did prosper and multiplieth. and multiplieth. and multiplieth. Verily I say unto thee, that thou shalt not create more resources than can be countenanced by the Browser, lest it call the dreaded Blue Screen of Death upon thee.

Amen.

…Anyway, instead of clicking instantly changing day to night, maybe have holding the mouse button (or space) down would speed up time (i.e., day progression). Pixel humans should starve if they don’t have enough food for a given duration. Maybe force the lazy green pixels to be food for the animals (and thus adding a third element to balance), and/or add in bad/strange changes from warping time too much?

Flag Post

It definitely does need limits.

I added an animal and people counter and got to ~3000 people and 800 animals before I gave up.
It definitely needs more resources or other dependent factors…

Flag Post

Hey everybody, I made a new banner for this contest and UG said I should post here to see whether you guys would be fine with substituting it for the old one until the end of time(or whenever somebody makes another one).

For comparison:
Old Version

New Version

Flag Post

New version, I like pink

Flag Post
Originally posted by ST3ALTH15:

Hey everybody, I made a new banner for this contest and UG said I should post here to see whether you guys would be fine with substituting it for the old one until the end of time(or whenever somebody makes another one).

In my opinion old logo is awesome, and it should not be replaced, because it’s not just a banner it actually reflects game contest (because there is a castle and bricks). And there is 30% of blue color which is my favorite, so I don’t think it should be replaced ever.

That’s just a personal opinion.

Flag Post

I don’t understand the new banner. I don’t understand the significance of the color pink. I don’t understand the “western” style lettering, nor do I understand why you put my initials on the right side. At least I understood the old banner, it has bricks as symbolism for building, and the castle as the finished product, made in ‘10’ ‘Days’ as the banners suggest. Old one gets my vote.

Flag Post

Personally, I prefer the first one, but

Flag Post

I also don’t understand the symbolism of the proposed new one and thus vote to keep the old one, even if it could take a bit of a polish.

Flag Post

Sadly, I entered late, so I have to sit this one out.

Flag Post

So who thinks I can make a GAME IN 5 DAYS?!?!?! Wooo entering late. Yeah!

I’m probably not going to enter at all actually but we’ll see.

And feartehstickman, I am curious as to why these people erect a chimney every night just to tear it down the next day. They could more efficiently spend their time learning how to not totally break their ecosystem.

Actually maybe I will enter. AWAIT MY RETURN.

Flag Post

If the game were to actually advance in its development, the chimney would simply signal that people were present in the house. Since there is only one house, and everyone automatically runs inside it’s kind of pointless currently. But I have added….rocks *gasp!*
Once the exosystem is more than parasitically reproducing cows/deer (what are they?) and odd multicoloured people, I’ll try to make it somewhat self-sustaining (not too the point where it’s sustained until your computer crashes).

Please enter, someone. I’d don’t want to go down as that guy who only won because noone else entered :/

Flag Post

I’m trying to enter even though I’m busy. I’m going for a strategy/influence game where you have to build up power and resources in the day to defend at night.

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

It definitely does need limits.

I added an animal and people counter and got to ~3000 people and 800 animals before I gave up.
It definitely needs more resources or other dependent factors…

A great limit would be if the food hits zero, the people starve and start dying off instead of multiplying. I had the counter bouncing from 0 to about 6 or so, then back to zero the entire time. It never got into double digits because there were so many people active at once—and they just kept coming. :O Made me think of a zombie apocalypse more than anything else.

Now, I just need to come up with something that is SIMPLE (I find that very difficult for some reason). Hopefully it’ll happen before the deadline ends. D:

Flag Post

Trying to make a story-driven game. I fell in love with an idea I had but it’s turning out to be very time consuming. I’m not sure I’ll have more than a scripted event system by the time the deadline rolls.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aaants:

At best, I’m going to have 4-5 hours to attempt something, which is a shame because I like my idea. Anywho, if anyone is struggling for an idea (hardly likely, I know) and wants it:

You control a kid who sleepwalks. You spend the daytime sleepwalk-proofing your house and the surrounding grounds to stop yourself being hurt/killed at night. Obstacles range from holes in the floor of your poorly built farmhouse, broken or dodgy stairs, rakes on the ground (Sideshow Bob!) and loose farm animals.

Will try something simpler in the time I do have…

Trolololololol!

I would also say “reserved”, but I’m not a bad kid XD
Instead, I’ll suggest that, if you haven’t already, you should make the theme of GiTD #30 have something to do with 8-bit graphics/bright neon graphics (Not 60’s kind of bright graphics, but something more like cell warfare…)

Flag Post

Here, some proof that I’m actually doing something :-)

Not sure how much I’ll get done in time but there should be something playable.

Flag Post
^^Looks promising! Very dark and gloomy^^

Flag Post
So who thinks I can make a GAME IN 5 DAYS?!?!?! Wooo entering late. Yeah!

I’ll take this to the next level by having started two days ago! Yeah!

Flag Post

And I’ll top that by starting…right now? Yeah, I think it took me too long to come up with an actual concept. T________T

Flag Post

1 day 19 hours…

Not much time left. Hopefully I can make everything come together in time.

UPDATE

Updated version here (fixed game crash bug, made animals flee)
-Stats (food, stone, wood, people, animals)
-Added rocks and trees, people can collect stone and wood.
-You can control what your people collect with the bar at the top (a bit dodgy, but functional)
-Bugs, gone (I think/hope)
-Building new houses (out of stone) so you can collect things faster
-Population cap (so you don’t end up with 1000s of people at once). Currently is 20 people/house. I might change that though.
Todo:
-animals eat trees
-animals flee from attacks //done
-people and animals get hungry
-larger, scrolling screen
-…

Flag Post

I hope everyone is panicking. :D

Flag Post

I’m pancaking. And looks like I won’t make my game about working at day and partying at night happen. Damn you, things that have to be done at GiTD week..

Flag Post

Nearly there now, just need to create some levels and do a bit of playtesting for balance/difficulty.