Kongregate launches $10 million mobile publishing fund for indies

14 posts

Flag Post

Just some copy/pasta cause that is what programmers do best:

Originally posted by jimgreer:

More Kong games for mobile are coming:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185958/Kongregate_launches_10M_game_fund_alongside_its_own_mobile_division.php#.UQ_Nmlpxc8s

http://developers.kongregate.com/mobile

Flag Post

Darn mobile devs, stealing all my free money.

Flag Post

But if you use HaXe, wouldn’t you be able to publish for both Flash and mobile anyway?

Flag Post

I’m not sure if it is just me, but if I hover from one link to the other, then back again, the white space in UG’s post keeps expanding…

How does one actually publish a game for mobile. Can I export it from a .fla? Do I need air? Why are apple so insistant on not using flash…?

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

How does one actually publish a game for mobile. Can I export it from a .fla? Do I need air? Why are apple so insistant on not using flash…?

File → Publish Settings → Where it says “AS3” change it to “AIR for iOS” → Profit

Flag Post

jasonjie88 no need to use haXe I mean AS3 can deploy to mobiles as well, or desktop for example to Steam etc.

Flag Post

But if you use HaXe, wouldn’t you be able to publish for both Flash and mobile anyway?

It’s a little extra effort, but yeah. The problem for me is that I generally don’t care to build games optimized for mobile, or even designed for mobile in many cases (where is my keyboard?!)

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

It’s a little extra effort, but yeah. The problem for me is that I generally don’t care to build games optimized for mobile, or even designed for mobile in many cases (where is my keyboard?!)

Don’t you just put dodgy “buttons” on the bottom of the screen to serve as keys? Not so much if you need a full keyboard though.

Flag Post

Don’t you just put dodgy “buttons” on the bottom of the screen to serve as keys?

You’re dead to me.

Flag Post

Don’t you just put dodgy “buttons” on the bottom of the screen to serve as keys?

You’re dead to me.

Or use tilting to control your character…probably more difficult though.

Flag Post

You’re dead to me.

No. Just no. Having actually built a game where I could do that, it was very very easy to tilt the device far enough that I couldn’t see the screen (because of glare) but I had to tilt that far to get the character to move.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

You’re dead to me.

No. Just no. Having actually built a game where I could do that, it was very very easy to tilt the device far enough that I couldn’t see the screen (because of glare) but I had to tilt that far to get the character to move.

Which brings me back to: how to make a decent control scheme for a mobile game, that isn’t just one button

Flag Post

Learn how to make virtual joysticks. Or use multiple buttons. Or swipe gestures.

Flag Post

Real men play their games with voice commands.

Right! Right! Jump! No!!! Ah godamnit. New Game!