3D Game Creation In the Near Future page 2

31 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by JohnnyBohnny:

So it is just a new language, and the audience needs to grow? I tried it today, and the only disadvantage I found, was that once you’ve installed Haxe, you still need to install an IDE, C++ libraries, Java libraries, etc. It’s just a lot more difficult to get started with it compared to AS3. Not having any tutorials/books/good ‘getting started’ documentation does not help ether.

I think there are several “getting started” guides for Haxe (I found several after a quick google). Setting things up can indeed be a bit tricky, but personally I wouldn’t want to have an IDE pushed on me when I install a compiler, but that’s just me.

Flag Post

Yeah, I can understand that. Although, the installing of all the C++ libraries and stuff, why isn’t that done in the installer?

@ArcStudios, what IDE are you using? Visual Studio 2010?

Flag Post

I am not sure to be honest, I think it’s so that you can pick whatever C++ compiler you yourself prefer.

Flag Post

Can you make hardware accelerated 3D games with haXe? I made a 3D engine in AS2 once, but without hardware accelration, it’s useless.

Flag Post

Haxe doesn’t restrict you from using regular AS3 functionality, you can use Stage3D for the flash platform, WebGL for JavaScript, a native 3d engine for C++, and so on.

I believe that there are several cross-platform 3d engines in the work for Haxe, but I have never used one myself, so I cannot vouch for how good they are.

Flag Post

Nope. I’m using Codeblocks.