GiTD [#29] Voting page 3

62 posts

Flag Post

Do we vote on the next GiTD theme now? If so, i’ll vote for avoidance/top-down shooter :D
IN CASE YOU DONT KNOW, THAT VOTE IS A JOKE ^^

EDIT: What Danny said VVVVV. Its hard enough making a game, let alone it being in ten days, and on a specific, random theme.
If that doesn’t float your boat, you could give us a VERY non-specific theme so we can think about it, then, a day or two later, you release the specific theme. That way, we will have SOME sort of idea. Just throwin’ stuff out there

Flag Post

We need more people to be involved in the next one…

Flag Post
Originally posted by lavaflame2:

Do we vote on the next GiTD theme now? If so, i’ll vote for avoidance/top-down shooter :D

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA

Instead of UG dictating us all we should become a democracy and vote for the theme out of a selection!!

Flag Post

To see why it’s NOT a great idea, read Lavaflame’s post again, specifically the part about the genre he wants to vote for, and then check out the last few games he’s uploaded. If you feel like digging up past GiTD threads, do the same with GameBuilder’s posts (amongst others). Guess what? People vote for themes they already like to work into their games, because it gives them an advantage in the contest and requires minimal additional effort.

The point of contests like GiTD isn’t to win so much as to see what you can make outside of the conditions and rules you might usually work under. The theme isn’t always easy to work with, and this last one was pretty tricky, but it’s the same for everyone who takes part.

IMO a better idea would be for someone to list out all the past themes and take a look at which ones attracted the most entries, and then figure out if it correlates to the theme, or the prizes, or some other factor.

Flag Post

4/5 have dodge in the title.

Seeing which themes are the most popular would be interesting. Personally, I thought this theme was a lot better than “___ or Die” but it evidently didn’t attract nearly as many entries.
-28 was in the holidays, lots of people had spare time. 29 was just coming out from the holidays, people are usually busy getting back into the swing of things
-28 had a lot more open-ended theme (that’s my main reason for disliking it). 29 was slightly less open (still quite open) so people couldn’t literally pick any game concept at all, it required some though, or tailoring the game to fit.
-Forum activity was a lot higher during 28 than 29.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

To see why it’s NOT a great idea, read Lavaflame’s post again, specifically the part about the genre he wants to vote for, and then check out the last few games he’s uploaded. If you feel like digging up past GiTD threads, do the same with GameBuilder’s posts (amongst others). Guess what? People vote for themes they already like to work into their games, because it gives them an advantage in the contest and requires minimal additional effort.

The point of contests like GiTD isn’t to win so much as to see what you can make outside of the conditions and rules you might usually work under. The theme isn’t always easy to work with, and this last one was pretty tricky, but it’s the same for everyone who takes part.

IMO a better idea would be for someone to list out all the past themes and take a look at which ones attracted the most entries, and then figure out if it correlates to the theme, or the prizes, or some other factor.

I think what you mean to say was…
To see why it’s a good idea not to be a communist thread, read Lavaflame’s post again, specifically the part about EVERYTHING except for the vote, for it was 50% joke, 50% throwing somethin’ out there.
And just because a theme was popular once, doesn’t mean it would be popular again—if anything, it would be much less popular, for people would not want to make another similar game.

Flag Post

If you have a great idea for a theme, PM it to UG. When the time comes to decide the theme for the next GiTD, the more great theme ideas UG has, the better the chances the theme he picks will be great.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

If you have a great idea for a theme, PM it to UG. When the time comes to decide the theme for the next GiTD, the more great theme ideas UG has, the better the chances the theme he picks will be great.

k (hooray for useless post!)

Flag Post

Yeh, I’m not too keen for voting on themes. We did that once or twice(?) and it didn’t work out terribly well. You are free, as Ace_Blue said, to PM me all your suggestions. We’ll chat about them over in GDR before the contest starts probably.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lavaflame2:
And just because a theme was popular once, doesn’t mean it would be popular again—if anything, it would be much less popular, for people would not want to make another similar game.

Checking out what made past themes popular (my suggestion) isn’t the same as reusing themes that got a ton of entries :P

I think the more open themes do better because more people feel that they can make something worthwhile from them, but on the other hand, its possible that, like Stickman said, holidays, forum activity, or GiTD prizes had more to do with it.

Flag Post

As saybox said, I prefer more open themes myself. I wasn’t able to enter this one but I managed to get a concept down which was pretty much what had been done: survive night until morning, which I concepted in various game genres. I tried to come up with something else that I thought might be less obvious but I felt the theme was pretty limiting, at least for me.

Flag Post

I like the theme to be relatively tight because it makes it more likely that people are actually writing the game in ten days, instead of bringing in an existing concept that they already had, and because it tends to make the games more directly comparable.