Flash profiling - what do you use?

9 posts

Flag Post

Having implemented a resource heavy addition to my game project, I have started encountering frequent stutters in my debugger FP, as I test it. FlashDevelop’s profiler does not seem to hint me towards the problem, no counters are rising as rapidly as required for frequent GCs, the only counter that does is number of shots, but that one wasn’t causing anything bad before. So it seems that I need another profiler tool, that might help me find out what went wrong and where.

The added code does this: one additional vector is stored per tower, single-target tower has its length at 1, all-targetting tower the same (it anyway fires at whole target list, which was implemented before and worked satisfiably), and multiple-targetting tower have this vector’s length at max targets, and in case target list is larger, the code selects “max targets” monsters out of there, and places references in already allocated array. Once there are no targets for the tower, the code clears the now-unused array via filling it with nulls. Nothing more.

I wonder, if there is a profiler that would show me the result(s) of GC, how often does it get called, also what methods are called most often.

Flag Post

monocle aka scout:
http://gotoandlearn.com/play.php?id=175

Flag Post

As far as I know, you need to be on 64 bit to run Scout. Which is a bit annoying, for me at least.

Flag Post

Why is it restricted to 64-bit?

Flag Post

Can you use scout with FlashDevelop? I was under the impression that it was an Adobe tool for Adobe products, but please do correct me if I’m wrong.

As a FD-only user, I also find myself lacking a good profiler tool and I would welcome any information about improving this aspect of software development.

Flag Post

Scout will profile all flash players inside a browser, so just open your swf with chrome.

Flag Post

You don’t need to use a browser to profile with Scout; it will start profiling sessions for any Flash movie, no matter where it runs.
Depending on how much info I need, I’ll either use FD’s built in profiler, The Miner or Scout.

Flag Post

Hm, scout didn’t work for me when I just double-clicked the swf, but that might just be my system.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JohnnyBohnny:

Why is it restricted to 64-bit?

Possibly the same reason that Premiere and After Effects, they need the extra performance. Not that I’d expect the profiling of a SWF to need infinite RAM. I believe that adobe is heading in the general direction of being 64-bit only…