GiTD [#30] Entries and Discussion

106 posts

Flag Post

Flag Post

Theme:
Dungeon

Deadline:
Sunday 10th March (8pm EST, 5pm PST, New Official Countdown)

Prizes:
TBA

Information:
For those who do not understand the rules of GiTD, you have 10 days to create a game based on the chosen theme. Once the deadline has passed a new voting thread will be created where users will vote for the person’s game who they think should win. Using an engine is acceptable as long as the person submitting it creates the majority of the game. You may work in a team of up to 2 people. (Let me know if you have a larger team and I’ll see what I can do)

The usual rules apply for using existing code/graphical assets/libraries.

Want to join the GiTD Mailing list? Just leave a shout on my profile and I’ll message you any time a GiTD contests begins, voting begins, and the results of the voting.

Flag Post

I’ve been waiting for this months contest. I really hope the theme is one that catches my interest. I’m still saddened that we didn’t get our “Infinite” theme from a few contests ago. I still think you can take that idea some very nifty directions.

Flag Post

Hopefully we can get some more people this time. Going from the highs of 28 to the lonliness of 29 was disheartening.

Flag Post

Let’s see what the theme is again ;-)

Flag Post

What exactly are the “usual rules for existing code/graphical assets/libraries.”? I followed the link and was sent to another forum page where there was no mention of anything. For that matter, how exactly does someone enter this challenge?

Flag Post

Usual rules linked to my post:

Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Yes. If its a partially complete game you are building off, no. Library code is fine.

If you are going to submit a game you’ve already started, that won’t work out. If you have libraries that you use for game development (I’ve got sitelock, kongregate, util libraries I sometimes use) that is fine.

For that matter, how exactly does someone enter this challenge?

All you need to do is submit a game, before the deadline, that relates to the specified theme (announced on the 28th)

Flag Post

Mkay, I’m entering.

Flag Post

I am planning on entering this one. Of course, I was also planning on entering the last one…

Flag Post

Someone needs to spam me some themes already. D:

Flag Post

Yeah, no kidding. I hope you’re willing to push the deadline up a tad because of this delay.

Flag Post

How so? The competition doesn’t start until 5PM my time which is 8 hours from now.

Flag Post

I thought from briefly examining the rules that we were all using EST, in which case I expected it to begin 12:00 AM EST (13 hours ago in my time zone.) My theory was there was some sort of delay, which I thought was confirmed by your previous post. My mistake.

This is my first time doing anything like this, so you can expect me to be a bit confused =]

Flag Post

Aw, no topic yet? I’m hoping for Rainbow Combat! Edit I guess it was just an edit. Now I get to make Rainbow Combat Dungeon!

Flag Post

The theme is Dungeon! (Hopefully that will work for you One Game A Month-ers)

EDIT I’m trying to mass PM people but script doesn’t like to work.
EDIT Manually just sent 110 messages.

Flag Post

The theme is Dungeon!

OMG! OMG! That’s an awesome theme. I’m so tempted to join this time.

EDIT Manually just sent 110 messages.

OMG. :O

Flag Post

Mmm, really interesting theme. Glad something that appeals to me came up around this time.

Flag Post

You can blame Kewry if you like the theme.

Flag Post

Congratulations Kewry for this excellent theme! Now I have to make something.

Flag Post

ERMAHGERD! DERNGERNS!

MAH FRAVRIT THERM!

[spits out retainer] I cannot let this one pass by. Unfortunately, everything I keep coming up with suffers from way-too-big-for-gitd syndrome. :|

Flag Post

Dungeons. Not too shabby. Hopefully UG’s blood, sweat and tears spent PMing people will attract a few more to the contest.

Flag Post

Noooo!!! This is like the perfect theme.. why am i always busy with other projects when we get cool themes. I’ll try and find time to work on something…

Also.. the person who makes a Dungeon Keeper style game automatically gets my vote, just saying

Flag Post
Originally posted by nutter666:

Also.. the person who makes a Dungeon Keeper style game automatically gets my vote, just saying

Dungeon Keeper has been ripped off to death emulated adequately in my opinion. Check out Dungeon Defender, Dungeon Developer, Dungeon Overlord, Thats (sic) My Dungeon, Dungeon Sweet Dungeon, and Demonic Dungeon, all of which are on Kongregate. Think of it as “research” if you like. Anyone who aspires to make another Dungeon Keeper will have to offer a twist to the game that isn’t found in other games that are like it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Elyzius:
Anyone who aspires to make another Dungeon Keeper will have to offer a twist to the game that isn’t found in other games that are like it.

And you know what 90% of them suck (IMO) because they miss the point of Dungeon Keeper entirely. I’ve played most of those (so I might be wrong) but most of them have copied the game mechanic and lost all the charm, wit and generally the stuff that makes it fun. Like you say the key would be finding a nice twist…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

Unfortunately, everything I keep coming up with suffers from way-too-big-for-gitd syndrome. :|

Correct. I think the trick for this GiTD is who can come up with an idea small enough they can execute in time.