GiTD [#30] Winners Announced! page 2

59 posts

Flag Post

MossyStump – Untitled Dungeon Puzzle
I didn’t play very far into it (not in the mood for it, I guess), but it seemed well done for what it was.

Senekis93 – Dungeon
…mmkay…

CuriousGaming – Dungeon Blocks
Interesting, though as others have said feels kind of empty without any real goals. Maybe have bridges come down from the top once the level ends which the interlopers would then travel on to get to the walls to walk on them in order to get to the bottom (and exit, thus being failure or “damage” or something bad)…? As creatures have an “influence zone” on the walls, they would then get to attack passersby (like a TD game).

feartehstickman – [GiTD #30] Escape the Dungeon
Good, but really short, linear, and easy. You can happily hack away at enemies without them being aware of you (easiest from the side), so there should be some “pain awareness” as well as perhaps a bit more peripheral vision (though in games of this type, the opponents generally have tunnel vision) — bonus damage for hitting the unaware, though.

Elyzius – Dungeoneers
Decent concept, but needs a bit of work.
I tried grinding far enough to get one of every fighter but the ranger (I thought maybe the monk would be good against the skeleton, but started with the knight and barbarian), but the third floor was still impossible (as far as actually harming the enemies). I also tried a single knight at level 3 — but the only noticeable difference between a level 3 knight and a level 1 knight is that he’s four times as expensive. “There’s no turning back” is kind of weird when you discover that there is turning back (as in exiting via the stairs you came in from).

Kewry – Crawling Through Weird Places
I actually had the most fun playing this. Could definitely use some environment (obstacles (though that would need a good computer opponent) and terrain (with movement enhancing/impeding effects or such)).

1st: Crawling Through Weird Places
2nd: Difficult, but I’m going to go for… (drumroll) …Untitled Dungeon Puzzle
Honourable Mention: Everyone except Senekis ;)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

Senekis93 – Dungeon: ROFL, I almost did something like that when I realized there was only about 2 days left. I wasn’t sure how many people would appreciate the humor though, especially since my version would’ve been quite a bit more offensive than yours.

Yeah, I wanted it a bit more explicit, but meh… had to tone it down since Kong is PG13. Most of the people didn’t get it anyway, that shows that Kong isn’t the best place for this kind of humour.

@People wondering if it’s a joke / only has a couple of screens: Yes.

Flag Post

1 – MossyStump
2 – CuriousGaming

Very close for those points though, they’re all of a similar standard, which is cool. Joke games aside :p

Flag Post

1st: Untitled Dungeon Puzzle.
2nd: Dungeon Blocks.

Flag Post

e.e

Flag Post

Dude.

Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

If you think someone is suspicious, I’d rather you PM me than post in the thread.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobJanova:

The graphics are beyond budget (yes, I know, I should talk etc) to a level where they detract from the game.

They’re not that bad are they? Apart from the stairs, the prison bars and the sword (they’re a bit shoddy). The tiles line up, the doors look vaguely like doors (I did stretch the large one a bit too much) and the chests look kind of like (a bit too green) chests. I don’t see how the graphics detracted too much from an experience like this which people used to play in something that resembled a word document. The gameplay on the other hand, is what I feel the problem is.

Flag Post

1st: CuriousGaming – Dungeon Blocks
2nd: MossyStump – Untitled Dungeon Puzzle
I have no observations that haven’t been covered already.

Flag Post

1st: MossyStump
2nd: CuriousGaming

Flag Post

MossyStump – Untitled Dungeon Puzzle: Well, Mossy, you sure had me “stumped.” I got all the way to level 10, but when I saw all those stairs, I decided to stop. The concept behind this puzzle game is very clever. I liked the mechanics of dragging and rotating tiles, but the false stairs really need to go. It’s no fun trying to guess which is the real exit. Other than that, well done. If you can come up with 20 to 30 total levels without the false stairs, you’d have a solid game on your hands.

Senekis – Dungeon: Nothing more needs to be said.

CuriousGaming – Dungeon Blocks: While it’s a different take on Tetris, it isn’t as engaging. I couldn’t bring myself to go beyond level 3. It might work if you award bronze, silver, and gold medals to players who reach a certain number of points each. You might even want to extend this idea further by linking a story or even role playing elements to your game, similarly to how Puzzle Quest does both to extend the match-3 concept.

feartehstickman – Escape the Dungeon: That was over pretty fast. As a hack-and-slash game, it’s hardly a challenge to win as long as you get your weapon upgrades in succession. This game might work better as a stealth action game, where backstabbing will insta-kill enemies, but being found out will require you to hack and slash your way out of your conundrum. And the game needs more levels. When you have those, however, you’ll wind up with a Castle Wolfenstein clone. (Castle Wolfsheim?) You’d need a twist to differentiate it from the old 2D Wolfenstein games.

Kewry – Crawling through Weird Places: I’m not really a fan of fast action games because I’m not very good at them. I couldn’t get past the boss at level 2 because I often couldn’t turn around fast enough to hit it without it hitting me. It’s great that the controls can be re-mapped and that you can tell at a glance which items were better than the ones currently equipped. It might help if there were other tactics that players can resort to other than to hit and run until the avatar’s attack recharges then repeat.

My votes are:

1st Place – MossyStump’s Untitled Dungeon Puzzle. (How about calling it Dungeon Tiles?) Edit: Just realized there is already a product of that name from Wizards of the Coast.
2nd Place – Kewry’s Crawling through Weird Places.

Flag Post

The fake stairs on Untitled Dungeon Puzzle don’t reset the level and there’s no scoring by how many moves it takes to get to the exit… It seems like a relatively minor annoyance to me (though I suppose the harder the levels get, the worse the annoyance is).
Maybe call it the Dungeon Shuffle (but then you should make a theme song by the same name).

Originally posted by Elyzius:

feartehstickman – Escape the Dungeon: That was over pretty fast. As a hack-and-slash game, it’s hardly a challenge to win as long as you get your weapon upgrades in succession. This game might work better as a stealth action game, where backstabbing will insta-kill enemies, but being found out will require you to hack and slash your way out of your conundrum. And the game needs more levels. When you have those, however, you’ll wind up with a Castle Wolfenstein clone. (Castle Wolfsheim?) You’d need a twist to differentiate it from the old 2D Wolfenstein games.

Uh, no. It might be similar to Castle Wolfenstein (I/II), but it definitely wouldn’t qualify as a clone
(no guns, CW didn’t have sword/axe/rock fighting (just a knife that you could only backstab with), no passes, etc, etc, etc). If those changes would make it a CW clone, then I’d like an example of a game that isn’t a “clone”.

Flag Post

Dragon, I responded to your last post in another thread.

Flag Post

I’ll be honest with everyone, and thank you for all the votes. The “extra stairs” was really a snap decision so I would have more content, and it’s a decision I regret. Due to how I designed the game, it was really easy to add them into the game. Almost all of the actual levels for my game were designed and pieced together just before the contest actually ended. I had spent all of the previous time working meticulously to squash all bugs so that I could have a perfectly working game to present. All of that though, was only possible through the amazing help of everyone in GDR for helping me test and find these bugs, most notably Kewry, for aiding me so much while being another strong competitor here in the GitD competition.

Currently I’m trying to work things out to get the game running on my Android, I’m going to see if I can a) first get it to work on my phone, and possibly work on it further from there and release it as my first app. Maybe, I’m not entirely sure yet.

My game does have a lot more ideas going for it, but unfortunately due to time restraints I chose not to pursue the extra game functionality so that I could make sure my game was in good condition for being presented (Squashing all the bugs and fixing all the mishaps). Should I continue this, you can expect:

Doors with locks and keys
Tiles that can only be switched once
Tiles that can only be rotated once
Tiles that can only be switched OR rotated, not both
Traps
Projectile traps (things like balls of fire being shot out of the walls or something, just something you would have to work through)

Also, I suck at level design. I know the difficulty was either “meh” or “Gah”

Flag Post

1st. place – Kewry – Crawling Through Weird Places

Kewry your game is superb! it is very engaging, and here we have a fine example of how much can a good music increase addiction to the game, I think I played it for more than half an hour, and got switched to cybernetic world so much, later I found out that I didn’t even realise that one person came to me to ask for something, and I didn’t even notice someone standing behind me:) but I got stuck in the last dungeon, I think it’s not finished yet.
For me, this game is a clear winner. By the way you should add credits to musician who composed this soundtrack.

2nd. place – feartehstickman – Escape the Dungeon

Sorry, can’t give any more feedback, I feel a “little” dizzy, because I caught some nasty virus (in real life) and to erase a reallife virus isn’t as easy as to do so for a virtual one:)

By the way, Senekis, I think I’m being ignorant and I’m not catching or I’m missing something about your game:)

Flag Post
Originally posted by AMD_Paulius_J:

By the way, Senekis, I think I’m being ignorant and I’m not catching or I’m missing something about your game:)

You and half the voters, AMD. I’m hesitant to ask for an explanation, because if the joke isn’t getting any laughter before it is explained, it is unlikely to garner much more after the explanation, but still, I’m curious.

Flag Post

Yes, I garnered a vote from the Lure or Die guy. Hopefully it wasn’t just because he was too sick to think straight.
Get well with haste.

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Yes, I garnered a vote from the Lure or Die guy. Hopefully it wasn’t just because he was too sick to think straight.
Get well with haste.

No it wasn’t a mistake, I really liked your game!

Flag Post
Originally posted by MossyStump:

I’ll be honest with everyone, and thank you for all the votes. The “extra stairs” was really a snap decision so I would have more content, and it’s a decision I regret. Due to how I designed the game, it was really easy to add them into the game. Almost all of the actual levels for my game were designed and pieced together just before the contest actually ended. I had spent all of the previous time working meticulously to squash all bugs so that I could have a perfectly working game to present. All of that though, was only possible through the amazing help of everyone in GDR for helping me test and find these bugs, most notably Kewry, for aiding me so much while being another strong competitor here in the GitD competition.

Currently I’m trying to work things out to get the game running on my Android, I’m going to see if I can a) first get it to work on my phone, and possibly work on it further from there and release it as my first app. Maybe, I’m not entirely sure yet.

My game does have a lot more ideas going for it, but unfortunately due to time restraints I chose not to pursue the extra game functionality so that I could make sure my game was in good condition for being presented (Squashing all the bugs and fixing all the mishaps).

In my opinion Mossy, what you said right there about choosing to fix bugs over try to stuff more content in is what put you in the lead on my list and possibly others as well. I’ve taken other games in previous contests that had a lot of promise but also a lot of bugs and put them at the bottom of the list because of that.

I really wish more MMO style game designers could act like this and fix the bugs before shoving the game out the door instead of trying to stuff more content in. Sword & Magic in the Beta section is very flawed in this way, though the developers seem to be squashing the bugs as we report them so that’s good.

Flag Post

Congrats to MossyStump with Untitled Dungeon Puzzle for winning GiTD #30 and Kewry with Crawling Through Weird Places with a close second.

MossyStump – Untitled Dungeon Puzzle			|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxooo
Senekis93 – Dungeon 					|
CuriousGaming – Dungeon Blocks				|xxxxxxxxxxx
feartehstickman – [GiTD #30] Escape the Dungeon		|xx
Elyzius – Dungeoneers					|xxxx
Kewry – Crawling Through Weird Places			|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooo

//key
x = legit vote
o = maybe not so legit

Flag Post

Gratz Mossy!

Flag Post

Not sure if I should feel bad that the only person I beat was Senekis. Alas…
Good game Mossy, Kewry and the others.

Flag Post

Fear, you should feel good because you beat me, I_love_you_lots and nutter666, plus anyone who also did not find the time (or use it wisely) to make an entry in the contest.

I got farther toward my goal than I normally do and I still like my idea enough to want to keep working on it but I most certainly did not use the time I had wisely. I still would like to see what Nutter’s game was going to be.

Flag Post

Yeah, where’s Nutter? His game sounded awesome, his animations and graphics were also good. I was really looking forward to his game.

Flag Post

I promised some feedback once I finished my own work…

MossyStump/Untitled Dungeon Puzzle An interesting puzzle game, I like how the new elements were gradually introduced. I’ve tried to make a similar puzzle game in the past, and I found success hinges on inspired level design. A new twist every level, and puzzles that look impossible at first but then really simple when the solution is found. Good level design is really hard, and I don’t think you had enough time to do justice to your concept.

Senekis/Dungeon Well, it’s a completed entry, which is more than I managed before the competition ended.

feartehstickman/[GiTD #30] Escape the Dungeon It felt a bit basic and prescribed – there’s only 1 path, and 1 thing to do next, I never felt I was making any choices or strategic decisions. I think the game engine could be expanded to include them though. Bonus points for publishing on Kong.

Elyzius/Dungeoneers A proper dungeon crawler, with pathfinding and adventurers! I don’t really know what is good about different classes, and my pair of knights have spent the last 5 minutes fighting a skeleton(?) with neither side doing any damage. Looks promising, but unfinished, way too ambitious for 10 days

Kewry/Crawling Through Weird Places I liked this one. Nice inventory system. The core fighting mechanic was satisfying and fun to play with, but the monsters felt the same in every room – some variety would be good there. Perhaps monsters with missiles, monsters that run away to regen, and levels with obstacles to fight around. Death was a bit unforgiving – no save or respawn points. Ouch.

Flag Post

I just thought I should post this here -
http://indiegames.com/2013/03/browser_game_pick_dungeon_bloc.html#disqus_thread