Best Flash version to target?

6 posts

Flag Post

Tried to search for a question like this, but couldn’t find any from after 2011, so here goes:

What is the best Flash version to target?

Many will say that you should target the minimum version containing the features you need. For me I’m using Stage3D and Starling, so I have to target minimum 11.0. However, if I target 11.4 I can get further reach with Stage3D and Workers(Multithreading) that would really be great, but I can’t decide if that will loose me a lot of players or not.

I can’t seem to find any up to date info on Flash version penetration(last is 80% for version 11 from December 2012 over at statowl).

So, do anyone have any statistics on what flash versions most players use on Kongregate?

Also, what version do you target for your game?

Thank you for your time =)

Flag Post

I don’t know for sure, but Kongregate users are probably more likely than average to keep their Flash Players up to date.

Flag Post

You can always detect what version your players are using, and suggest they update. Whether that causes them to stop playing, I’m not sure.

Flag Post

Over the 30 days from my blog.

Click to Enlarge

FP 11.7 has closer to 30% if you look at the last week alone. It was released just a short while ago, so results are skewed on the last 30 days.

Flag Post

People playing flash game often will probably have the flash player up to date, but then how many hits are from people who only occasionally play flash games? ;)

How does flash player act when it comes to different versions? As far as I understand the flash player will stop with an error if it sees some classes or opcodes that it does not understand(Ie. V11.0 trying to play a game using workers from V11.4).

Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Over the 30 days from my blog.
[IMG Snip]

FP 11.7 has closer to 30% if you look at the last week alone. It was released just a short while ago, so results are skewed on the last 30 days.

This is gold, thank you so much for sharing this =) Exactly the stats I was looking for =D
Seems that targeting 11.4 will reach about 70-80%, making the game will probably take some time too, so more people will hopefully have upgraded by then too.

Flag Post

11.7’s out? I better go have a look. I wonder why the annoying auto-update thing didn’t pop up though.

I checked it out and it doesn’t seem like there are any significant changes, apart from increasing gamepad support (could be nice).