Under 18 game developer.

13 posts

Flag Post

Hi, I am a 14 year old game developer and am wondering if I would be able to still upload a game to Kongregate. It would be a nice bonus to still be able to get paid through paypal, though I read over the whole rule’s and everything but it looks like I need to do some form of tax stuff. So all I’m wondering is if there is a way to get paid in Canada as a 14 year old on Kongregate.

I hope this is in the right forum.
Thanks.

Flag Post

You can certainly upload a game. I suspect that you’ll have to be 18 to get hold of the money Kong holds back for you, though.

Flag Post

Hmm, any way I could get a parent or adult over 18 to sign forums and such?

Flag Post

Yeah, I uploaded my first game when I was.. 11? Just get your parent to link a student account to their paypal account and you should be set. If you make more than 600$ you’ll have to fill out a W-9, nothing complicated.

Flag Post

Alright sounds good. Thanks for the reply.

Flag Post

Or you could just have the money sent to your parent’s Paypal account and have them pay you back. That’s what I did. :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

Or you could just have the money sent to your parent’s Paypal account and have them pay you back. That’s what I did. :P

I don’t trust my parents enough for that :P

Flag Post

Just wondering, whats different in my paypal account that is fake, and my parent’s?

Flag Post

I’m interested on this since I’m under 18 too. Is there any problem holding the money for years?

Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

Yeah, I uploaded my first game when I was.. 11?

Well, you need to be at least 13 to sign up here…

Flag Post
don’t trust my parents enough for that :P[/quote]

wat.
You are kidding?

Flag Post
Originally posted by EsCaPeThEfAtE2:
don’t trust my parents enough for that :P[/quote]

wat.
You are kidding?

No, I’m not. I trust them to do lots of things but there’s been multiple times where they don’t return money that they took from me.

@SumGato Lying is easy on the internet.

Flag Post
Originally posted by under7dude:

Just wondering, whats different in my paypal account that is fake, and my parent’s?

The difference is that since your paypal account isn’t legal, theorically, Paypal is allowed to freeze it, as well as all the money on it, until you are 18. But in practice, it usually work.

Anyway, in general, making games when under 18 doesn’t represent any problem. I’ve done that for years now (and just turned 18), sold games, got contracts, etc… But yes, just get paid by check maybe? Or parent paypal. ;)

Flag Post

It isn’t exactly like PayPal will go through every single account to find yours and freeze it.