Display Method for FlashDevelop That's Not Blitting?

6 posts

Flag Post

Hey everyone. I have a question. Is there an easier method to display external images on the stage without blitting in FlashDevelop? It’s because for the small game I made, blitting seems a bit overkill in terms of saving performance. I’d appreciate any feedback. :)

Flag Post

Why not use the regular display list?

Where did you learn blitting for FD from, too? D: Seems terrible to teach to new coders unless you mean an engine like FlashPunk/flixel.

Flag Post

I watched a few tutorials at gotoAndLearn.com. What I’m asking is, how do I get the images I’ve loaded into FD onto the display list and still be able to animate them?

Flag Post

Did you import your images via SWC, or just through a class? In any case, either way, you should be able to addChild() it to make it appear on the stage. No need for blitting or anything fancy like that.

Flag Post

If you have Flash Professional, you can assemble your images into one movie clip. You can then call gotoAndPlay or gotoAndStop to animate the movie clip.

If you don’t have Flash Professional, use addChild() to put each of your images into one movie clip. Make all but the first child invisible by setting its visible property to false. Then in your Enter Frame event handler, make the current child invisible and make the next child visible.

Personally, I’d rather use blitting if I didn’t have Flash Pro.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheBeocro:

Hey everyone. I have a question. Is there an easier method to display external images on the stage without blitting in FlashDevelop? It’s because for the small game I made, blitting seems a bit overkill in terms of saving performance. I’d appreciate any feedback. :)

You already do that, because you have to addChild() at least one Bitmap to the display list in order to display it, even if you do blitting.