GiTD [#32] Entries and Discussion

177 posts

Flag Post

Flag Post

Theme:
Collection

Deadline:
Sunday 12th May (8:30pm EST, 5:30pm PST, Official Countdown)

Prize:
100 (spendable) Kreds

Information:
For those who do not understand the rules of GiTD, you have 10 days to create a game based on the chosen theme. Once the deadline has passed a new voting thread will be created where users will vote for the person’s game who they think should win. Using an engine is acceptable as long as the person submitting it creates the majority of the game. You may work in a team of up to 2 people. (Let me know if you have a larger team and I’ll see what I can do)

The usual rules apply for using existing code/graphical assets/libraries.

Want to join the GiTD Mailing list? Just leave a shout on my profile and I’ll message you any time a GiTD contests begins, voting begins, and the results of the voting.

Flag Post

The PM said gitd starts on 2 May?

Flag Post

I’ll defo be entering this one, assuming the theme is decent. Im currently kinda sat around whilst the programmer catches up in a collab project im working on so this will be the perfect thing to keep be from being bored.

Flag Post

Work’s a bit on and off at the minute so I might be able to try something.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CuriousGaming:

The PM said gitd starts on 2 May?

Correct. It starts on May 2nd (thread title’s date). The competition runs till the 12th (second post’s deadline date)

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Deadline: (start date on May 2nd is different from deadline!!!!!)

What kind of madness is this?

I might be a bit busy, but I’ll try to make something. Hopefully there’s a better turn out this time.

Flag Post

I hereby vow to enter this competition!

Flag Post

Theme ideas are always welcome.

Flag Post

Random theme ideas:

North
Cultural
Hunt
Machine
Puppet
Magic
Elements
Dark

I’m not too sure if I’m gonna compete myself, as I’ll be busy with my semester project :(

Flag Post
Originally posted by Danishdragon:

Random theme ideas:

Elements

Oooh, awesome! I vote for that one. It’s been a long time since we had a theme as good as ‘elements’. Oh, wait…

Flag Post

Theme ideas:

A day in the life
Space farms
Cave exploring
Dinosaurs
Dimensions
Ghosts
Unfocused rage

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:
Originally posted by Danishdragon:

Random theme ideas:

Elements

Oooh, awesome! I vote for that one. It’s been a long time since we had a theme as good as ‘elements’. Oh, wait…

I’ve never been part of any GITD competition, so I have no idea what themes has already been used xD

Flag Post

Sorry, I was just being cheeky, and mean. ‘Elements’ was the theme for GiTD #31, the one that just ended. To make amends, here are some theme suggestions:

Splitting
Crash
Illumination
Genetics
Hordes
Pressure

Flag Post

Maybe we should vote on the topics. Who decides anyway?

Flag Post

Voting didn’t work out so well. Partly because the people who vote aren’t necessarily the same as the people who would enter. And most people can count the votes and figure out the theme a long time before the event starts.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CuriousGaming:

Voting didn’t work out so well. Partly because the people who vote aren’t necessarily the same as the people who would enter. And most people can count the votes and figure out the theme a long time before the event starts.

Ahh, your latter point definitely. I can infer that you’ve already attempted this, sorry I didn’t know, I’m fairly new to this.

So, I’m guessing UG, or whoever is OP, is the one who decides the theme?

Flag Post

I’m told there’s a discussion in GDR (Game Development Room) about the themes at some point before the contest starts so people can give input about which themes they like and which they don’t. But UG (or whoever happens to be organizing the GiTD, but most of the time UG) is the final arbiter of what the theme will be.

I’m not a GDR regular so I don’t know anything else about the aforementioned theme discussion.

Flag Post

Not sure if I’ll be able to join again but I like these:

Splitting
Illumination
Genetics

and a theme I think could be fun is “Guardian”

Flag Post

Theme:
TBA

Every GiTD to date, I’m sat here hoping that that will turn out to be the actual theme :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

Theme:
TBA

Every GiTD to date, I’m sat here hoping that that will turn out to be the actual theme :D

if that were the actual theme, I could imagine some pretty rad games being made for it

Flag Post
Originally posted by lavaflame2:
Originally posted by saybox:

Theme:
TBA

if that were the actual theme, I could imagine some pretty rad games being made for it

I wish there was at least one GiTD without a theme at all. Just free imagination.

Flag Post

Damnit UG you picked the start date on the release of a book in mu favorite series!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aceeri:

Damnit UG you picked the start date on the release of a book in mu favorite series!

Read it on day 1.
Use it for inspiration.
9 days of game-making.
Profit.

Flag Post
Originally posted by I_love_you_lots:

I wish there was at least one GiTD without a theme at all. Just free imagination.

Have you taken a look at the one game a month thread? It’s about cranking out games at roughly the same frequency as GiTD currently, and there is no imposed theme.

Part of what makes GiTD fun (to me at least) is working around the constraints of a theme to develop a game I would otherwise never have thought of making.