AS3 tutorials

12 posts

Flag Post

Anyone know of any good AS3 tutorials where you build a game step by step, like the MJW Avoider tutorial, that ASgamer space shooter, etc? Moly’s Shootorials seem like they would be good, except they don’t really explain things.

I find the tutorials where you just read a little dull. I prefer hands-on learning. Thanks.

Flag Post

This website has some step-by-step tutorials. I’ve checked out a couple in the past, and they’re not the best, but they’re not too bad either.

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

This website has some step-by-step tutorials.

private var _root:MovieClip;
//...
_root = MovieClip(root);

step by step in the wrong direction

Flag Post
Originally posted by NineFiveThree:

//...
_root = MovieClip(root);

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Thanks anyway, stickman.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NineFiveThree:

//...
_root = MovieClip(root);

Wow. Did he seriously just do that to have similar syntax to AS2’s _root?

Flag Post

They’re all AS2 tutorials originally which he’s ported to AS3, it seems. That’s why I never got to the end of any of them.

Oh well. You can look around gamedev.tutsplus.com or active.tutsplus.com for some interesting stuff, but not too many show you how to make a game from start to finish.

Flag Post

I think this is quite a nice tutorial
http://www.flash-game-design.com/flash-tutorials/make-a-spot-the-difference-game.html

Flag Post

Ok, I checked through ActiveTuts and found a few decent ones:
Very interesting, uses a microphone for controlling, but I can’t judge his coding style because they’re videos
Pretty simple but seemingly decent enough tut on a frisbee game
Quite a decent looking tut for a minesweeper game and you can finally do it properly with right click support

Here’s where I found them all

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlexanderC4:

I think this is quite a nice tutorial
http://www.flash-game-design.com/flash-tutorials/make-a-spot-the-difference-game.html

In AS2 too.

Flag Post

Thanks guys! I think I’ll do the Minesweeper one first.

EDIT: In the Minesweeper tutorial, the guy’s class name is different than the .as file name. When I try to compile I get an error. Maybe I just have to keep going and some code later on will resolve the problem? I’ve never seen a class with a name other than the file name that works.

Flag Post

If you’re talking about Main, it’s a mistake on their part

You can have a look at the finished files if you want

Flag Post

Ok thanks, Dealmaster.

Just ordered that massive Essential AS3 book from the library. It really intimidated me when I got it three years ago, but I think I can handle it now if I do a little everyday. I also ordered AS3 Game Programming University again. That book helped me tremendously … with AS2. Sort of.