actionscript multiplayer

8 posts

Flag Post

Where should i start if i want to make my game multiplayer. I know i need to have a server/client and socket and all but is there anything prebuild (i saw websocket or something) that could easily start me up? Maybe a tutorial on actionscript sockets or something?

Flag Post

I’d suggest learning programming more. Multiplayer is no joke. There are a lot of crappy things that go with it, are you prepared for that?

I’m not trying to attack you or anything, just saying.

Flag Post

lol im ready for all :P

http://playerio.com/documentation/tutorials/building-flash-multiplayer-games-tutorial/

I found this and this is exactly what i wanted… and yeah i know playing with sockets isnt really fun. Ive read a bit on that tutorial and saw some trick for latency and stuff and oh well… Gonna take some days ;P

Flag Post

I was playing with visual basic socket and linux C ansi socket in the old days… But thats a long time ago hehe but i know a bit how it work just need a refresh. Im pretty new with actionscript tough but i builded my game engin in like a week so i guess its not that bad (Tiled map, world object, customizable character, ennemies, equipable weapons with properties, world collision and object/ennemy collision, camera, game ui) need some fix but still its there :P (collision worked after a day staring at screen…)

Im really into it so before going too far i need to learn more about socket see if i have to start now or i should build a “campaign” solo mode first then go multiplayer. But for now. I need to sleep. :P

Flag Post

One thing I did when first looking into multiplayer was simply making a split screen game where the two “screens” communicated in a manner similar to sockets. Simulating lag and such helped me iron out and learn a lot of the issues that one can run into with multiplayer.

Later changing this local communication to actual communication over a network wasn’t that hard.

Flag Post

Well after reading a while on it i think actionscript socket is worth nothing… Tcp always been slow so i guess ill have to make client side using php sockets functions for udp. Server can be anything

Flag Post

What suck is i wanted to make the “host” the player to reduce bandwith on server (which would only be used as a chat/game finder system). Its only gonna be 1v1 so…

Flag Post

TCP is not ‘slow’ unless your network is congested or you want something very time critical. The overhead from using TCP is a tiny fraction of the ping time if you are a long way apart geographically.

I don’t believe it’s possible to do game hosting in Flash (in browser) because of security restrictions on what browser plugins can do, even if the user has the relevant firewall and router permissions set. The best you’re likely to be able to do is hosting through a central server, similar to (or using) a particular room type on Player.IO.