Bullet Hell

3 posts

Flag Post

Hey guys. So I am trying to make a bullet hell game in as2, but I have come to a problem where I do not know how other bullet hell games make certain enemies pop up at certain times. I only know how to make it randomly generate enemies. Any ideas? Thanks.

Flag Post
Originally posted by benmaster545:

Hey guys. So I am trying to make a bullet hell game in as2, but I have come to a problem where I do not know how other bullet hell games make certain enemies pop up at certain times. I only know how to make it randomly generate enemies. Any ideas? Thanks.

First all, go learn AS3 right now if you plan on making a bullet hell game. All you’ll end up making in AS2 is a lag hell, because it simply can’t handle all of the bullets that will need to be on the screen in order to qualify the game as, well, bullet hell.

Having said that, here’s how I handled spawn waves:
1) Each enemy-to-spawn will need at least this much information: EnemyToSpawn, x, y, delayUntilSpawn
2) Each “wave” will be several of objects containing this data.
3) Each “level” will be several of these waves.

4) How you store this data is up to you—XML, arrays/vectors, etc.

Let’s say you have a wave that looks like this: (GreenSlime, 100, 1, 60), (BlueSlime, 500, 1, 120), (PinkSlime, 300, 100, 60)

The game should interpret this as "after 60 frames, spawn a green slime at coords (100, 1). Then, 120 frames after spawning the green slime, spawn a blue slime at coords (500, 1). Finally, 60 frames after spawning the blue slime, spawn the pink slime at coords (300, 100). Once everything from that wave is killed, skip to the next wave and repeat the process. If that was the last wave, end the level.

Flag Post

Thanks a ton, I believe I will go learn as3 now.